Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is pretty cool.

https://zeldamaps.com/?game=BotW

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Someone playing the game has came across this little occurrence, an incredible bit of small detail.
    If you stand on the edge of the bridge with Brigo near he will try and talk you down because he is worried Link is contemplating suicide. He'll tell you 'There are too many enjoyable things in the world to gamble with your life' and also 'I'll stay here and chat with you for a bit if you'd like'

I think people will be finding little things in the this game for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Mr E wrote: »

Bookmarked for when im done with everything else but still have a gajillion korok seeds to find

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

GameXplain's roundup of the interesting points from the 3 part 'Making of BOTW' that Nintendo released. I love the stories on development of games and the 3 parts were quite interesting watching.

That concept art of
    the Metroid!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

You can turn the platform upside down too. :)

Or u can rotate it anticlockwise so the ball drops in the final straight, then rotate it back with the ball in it and ur sorted!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Irishbrick

Fahook 'the lost pilgrimage' side quest, fahook it straight to hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

You can turn the platform upside down too. :)

Everybody seems to think this is the easiest solution....
    However, if you just rotate the control pad about 90° to the left as the ball is dropping, it'll land right in the final straight.
    It means you also have the benefit of the rail to line up your shot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep that was how I did it, only took three attempts.

I rephrase my earlier statement, fahook the whole lost forest area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Major Tests of Strength are the Starbucks of Hyrule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Major Tests of Strength are the Starbucks of Hyrule.

They pop up in strange places and are as irritating as fuck?

Deliberately didn't play last night. I think I've played more-or-less every day since release so I figured a day off wouldn't hurt me. I think I've reached the point where I need a second game on the Switch but Mario Kart is so far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Got in a fight with a centaur looking guy yesterday. Beat the absolute snot out of me and eventually figured out I didn't have enough weapons to beat him. Snook past and ran into my first Hinox. Got mauled between the two.

Might head back there much later!

Ha! I know where you are. Same thing happened to me. I eventually took out the Hinox by spending 20mins throwing bombs at him from the mountain and then finishing him off. Wouldn't recommend that approach unless you've too much time on your hands.

I'm actually a bit confused as to what I'm supposed to be doing at the moment. Can anyone help?
    I've found the first memory, got my photo (something gate, near that centaur and Hinox) and returned to Impa (?) in Kakariko Village. I thought that would trigger another quest but it didn't. Do I have to find 11 more memories now? So far I've been running around doing random things but I think it's time to progress in the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The memories spread out across the game. Every so often you'll find one or have the painter guy point you in the right direction to find one. You can explore, get the towers, and tackle the Divine Beasts.

xckjoo wrote: »
    I'm actually a bit confused as to what I'm supposed to be doing at the moment. Can anyone help?
    I've found the first memory, got my photo (something gate, near that centaur and Hinox) and returned to Impa (?) in Kakariko Village. I thought that would trigger another quest but it didn't. Do I have to find 11 more memories now? So far I've been running around doing random things but I think it's time to progress in the story.

The memories themselves are optional from what I hear, they add to the plot and the ending but not necessary to finish the game. If you go into your adventure log, there should be more 'main quests' and one of them should be to travel to four of the outlying villages to speak with their leaders to begin the 'defeat the Divine Beasts' quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

I was the same after getting the first memory and going to Impa.
    If you talk to her again, one of the options will set markers on your map for the four divine beasts and add a quest to your adventure log.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Irishbrick wrote: »

Yeah i had to try it five times last night. Was about ready to move on and do something else when i finally did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You may have missed that the girl in Hateno village asked you to go back to talk to Impa before you got her to upgrade your Sheikah slate. She'll push ahead if you don't go back and talk to Impa, but then you miss out on the 4 map markers for the Divine beasts, which give you something to aim for.

I take back what I said last week about the lack of set pieces being a good thing. The approach on Vah Ruto was great fun - both the freeform jazz of the supply run and the tight 4-on-the-floor straight out rock of the run to the front door. The boss is wrecking my head though.
    I've gotten the hang of dodging the trident thrusts and swings to follow up with a Flurry, and while it takes a while I've been able to bring him down during the Ice Block throwing stage with a bunch of arrow, but twice he's gone from that to appearing on top of me and targeting me with a laser beam, and with the gaps between platforms I can't get away fast enough to mount any kind of defence. Is there a defence? Don't tell me! I'm going to try hiding behind Cryonesis blocks and then shooting him in the face to distract him, then ask for help.
    After a few failed runs I've left the dungeon for some quiet contemplation up the top of Mt Lanayru to figure out what to do, and maybe co-opt some fairies into helping me.

Irishbrick wrote: »

Yeah i had to try it five times last night. Was about ready to move on and do something else when i finally did it.
    The first ten times I tried it, i encountered a wolf and he ruined it, last time I did it, no wolf, no problem, first time I've lost the head at a game in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

Banjo wrote: »
    You may have missed that the girl in Hateno village asked you to go back to talk to Impa before you got her to upgrade your Sheikah slate. She'll push ahead if you don't go back and talk to Impa, but then you miss out on the 4 map markers for the Divine beasts, which give you something to aim for.

I take back what I said last week about the lack of set pieces being a good thing. The approach on Vah Ruto was great fun - both the freeform jazz of the supply run and the tight 4-on-the-floor straight out rock of the run to the front door. The boss is wrecking my head though.
    I've gotten the hang of dodging the trident thrusts and swings to follow up with a Flurry, and while it takes a while I've been able to bring him down during the Ice Block throwing stage with a bunch of arrow, but twice he's gone from that to appearing on top of me and targeting me with a laser beam, and with the gaps between platforms I can't get away fast enough to mount any kind of defence. Is there a defence? Don't tell me! I'm going to try hiding behind Cryonesis blocks and then shooting him in the face to distract him, then ask for help.
    After a few failed runs I've left the dungeon for some quiet contemplation up the top of Mt Lanayru to figure out what to do, and maybe co-opt some fairies into helping me.
    i had to leave him too so i can go back later ,
    my problem is i've no bow so once past the lunges i cant beat him ...so need to restock on weapons
    saying that i got to vah ruta before any of hateno or Impa o\

I had to learn to recognise when he was going to move and what direction and then move to an adjacent block. As for the laser, he only used that on me for the very last bit of the battle and I switched to a new bow, my most expensive arrows (shock or bomb) and whittled him as quickly as possible. Never used Cryonesis during the battle as I didn't realise it would help, derp.

Using the Zora armour (helm and flippers as well) gives you a lot of water speed so moving laterally from the laser helps to dodge it.

Good archery skills are handy to pick up early as the Rito boss demands it. I spent a lot of time practicing so can pick off targets pretty well (headshot on horseback enemies while on horseback etc) but I neglected learning to parry properly so that's where I'm suffering now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Provided you're not in it for the teeth guts and toenails, you can get the takings of any Hinox fight with only a single arrow, a bit of stamina, some empty weapon slots, 3 quick taps of the A button, and a bit of courage. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I'm obviously well behind most in this thread.

My Link was praised by another character last night, who had watched my bravery and skill from afar and thought I surely had the right stuff. He must have had pretty bad eye sight.

While I'm always up for a scrap with a lowly bokoblin or two, anything more than that and Link = "Sir Robin the not quite so brave as Sir Lancelot".

hqdefault.jpg

It's mainly the shattering weapons which contributes to my cowardice. What class of sword makers is Hyrule training up these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

1lfvxz.jpg

Damn Guardians.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'm off having mad adventures. Still haven't gone to
    Kakariko Village
    when asked to early in the game. Been hauling up treasure chests all over from various depths, major hiking, doing some sidequests, exploring all over the land, kind of south, southeast and east mainly. I've nothing, 4 hearts and 1 extra piece of stamina, puny weapons,
    still took down the 3 Hinox for the Shrine
    , my clothing is +7 overall, 1 hit and you're dead. Got up that mountainside where it never stops raining, found a way, don't know if it's how it's normally meant to be tackled, you know where the
    Shrine is that needs to be struck by lightning
    . The game is astounding in so many ways.

Then came across this dude last night.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0f_PsRx6Q

Thought
    he was Ganon or some form of him that I stumbled upon
    . Knew just by looking at him that he'd destroy me and sure enough he did. I barely put a dent in him. Best fun I've had with a game in years, possibly ever. It's that crazy good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

Its better on the switch !:pac:

druss wrote: »
    My Link was praised by another character last night, who had watched my bravery and skill from afar and thought I surely had the right stuff. He must have had pretty bad eye sight.

While I'm always up for a scrap with a lowly bokoblin or two, anything more than that and Link = "Sir Robin the not quite so brave as Sir Lancelot".

If you defeat an enemy that had previously been bothering an NPC, they'll usually congratulate you and give you a gift. If you're in an area for a while, they can have run away from the enemy who has lost interest in them only to focus on you. Can lead to complete randomers thanking you and complimenting you.

There are two sisters who hunt for truffles who are constantly getting into trouble.
    sligeach wrote: »
    Got up that mountainside where it never stops raining, found a way, don't know if it's how it's normally meant to be tackled, you know where the
    Shrine is that needs to be struck by lightning
    . The game is astounding in so many ways.

Then came across this dude last night.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0f_PsRx6Q

Thought
    he was Ganon or some form of him that I stumbled upon
    . Knew just by looking at him that he'd destroy me and sure enough he did. I barely put a dent in him. Best fun I've had with a game in years, possibly ever. It's that crazy good.

That's a really good shrine and congrats on getting up there. Those sheer cliffs are really tricky to climb at the best of times. When I solved that Shrine Puzzle, it blew me off the mountain so I had to climb it again :)

Ah Lynel, interesting enemy. Whups the living crap out of you for ages and then, with a bit of equipment and a bit of practice, you can whittle him down. If you spot one with a white mane (rather than the red), be prepared for an even more difficult fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I have a zora jacket. Where are you buying your aquatic ensemble? No! Don't tell me!

Speaking of good archery skills, someone mentioned "4, if you're a good shot" for the approach... how the hell do you miss? The target is huge and you aim in slow motion! You don't exactly need to be bullseyeing wamp rats in a T16 to make that shot.

Edit : The truffle sisters are supposed to thank you? Those ingrates just ignore me - even after I rode up on my blue steed like Lancelot and saved them from an impending bokoblin raping - and go back to their truffle hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I take it I'm the only one here who still hasn't gotten their Zelda Wii U order delivered from Amazon? :( Can't even find the section on the website on where to contact them about individual orders, about to give up at this stage. Really wish I just bought it from Argos last week while it was available in my local store. :(

Edit: found the "call me in 5 minutes" option.
    Spoke on the phone. Operator confirmed it was sent by the infamous asendia I've kept hearing about in the past. Have to wait until next Tuesday to be able to claim that it was lost. :(

Speaking of good archery skills, someone mentioned "4, if you're a good shot" for the approach... how the hell do you miss? The target is huge and you aim in slow motion! You don't exactly need to be bullseyeing wamp rats in a T16 to make that shot.

Edit : The truffle sisters are supposed to thank you? Those ingrates just ignore me - even after I rode up on my blue steed like Lancelot and saved them from an impending bokoblin raping - and go back to their truffle hunting.

I missed a few times as I didn't account for arrow drop (having a shit bow at the time). Taking gravity into account or waiting until your princely aquatic mount reaches the 'waterfall' nearest the target helped as well :)

They've only rewarded me the once, the first time :/ Still, seeing them in an area makes me spent a few moments scouting trees as there'll be truffles nearby. They make good eatin' :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The archery bit in the Rito training grounds is farcically easy. It gives you three minutes, but had it completed in around 20 seconds (allowing for aiming slow-mo). For a game not afraid to randomly punish the player, it was weirdly trivial.

Advertisement