Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I take it I'm the only one here who still hasn't gotten their Zelda Wii U order delivered from Amazon? :(

I'm in the same boat Logan. First game I pre-ordered since GTA V on the 360. Thought it was the wise thing to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

This game is so unbelievably good, i cant help but think Bethesda are kicking themself for releasing Skyrim on the Switch after Zelda. I imagine it doesn't hold up well by comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Rhyme wrote: »
    I missed a few times as I didn't account for arrow drop (having a shit bow at the time). Taking gravity into account or waiting until your princely aquatic mount reaches the 'waterfall' nearest the target helped as well :)
    Ah ok,
    I wasted one arrow taking moving pot-shots while Cryonesing frantically till he started hitting the waterfalls. Annoyingly he kept going up and down the same side even though I'd hit both targets until used the waterfall boost to glide over the elephant and land on the other side. I fear for the Zora people if this ****tard ever gets annointed...

Edit : Just caught a bunch of fish by paragliding into the middle of a lake and chasing them onto the shore! I outsmarted a carp!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Irishbrick

Banjo wrote: »
    Rhyme wrote: »
    I missed a few times as I didn't account for arrow drop (having a shit bow at the time). Taking gravity into account or waiting until your princely aquatic mount reaches the 'waterfall' nearest the target helped as well :)
    Ah ok,
    I wasted one arrow taking moving pot-shots while Cryonesing frantically till he started hitting the waterfalls. Annoyingly he kept going up and down the same side even though I'd hit both targets until used the waterfall boost to glide over the elephant and land on the other side. I fear for the Zora people if this ****tard ever gets annointed...

Edit : Just caught a bunch of fish by paragliding into the middle of a lake and chasing them onto the shore! I outsmarted a carp!
    Bombs are your friend when it comes to fishing!

I've been redneck fishing since day 1, but there's no art to it. Tickling a fish gets old after a few days too. But watching a fish flop on dry land, desperately trying to get to reach the long grass but unable to propel it's suddenly heavy body with those weak fins, seeing first the hope and then the life drain from it's eyes leaving only fear and delicious hearts behind. That, my friend, is what is best in life.

In fairness to my scaley prey, some of them do actually make it to the grass and disappear, possibly to warn their loved ones. Well, you hold them children tight. You tell 'em I'm comin'... and hell's comin' with me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I just paraglide into their midst and hammer the 'A' button. Easy fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banjo wrote: »
    I've been redneck fishing since day 1

j5v63B.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Star Lord wrote: »
    j5v63B.gif

No way, I had that gif open earlier and the tagline "Crocodile Dundee Style" and said nah. Your one has better picture quality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Lads, I'm crap at this game.

It getting to be a case of hey, what's over that ridge? Oh, it's just something else that will kick my ass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jim Sterling giving this a 7 after gushing about Horizon is head scratching. Horizon is the usual ubisoft map full of stuff but had a decent combat system to rise above that. His complaints are genuine but I found the stuff he moaned about like weapon degradation and rain as opportunities to think outside the box and formulate new ways of achieving objectives rather than frustrations.

I suppose it's all personal opinion but I'm still going to DDOS his website and insult him on twitter for bad mouthing a corporate product that I feel personally invested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Lads, I'm crap at this game.

It getting to be a case of hey, what's over that ridge? Oh, it's just something else that will kick my ass.

How many hearts have you got? are you doing the shrines? are you following the main quest path? are you just randomly running around the map?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Jim Sterling giving this a 7 after gushing about Horizon is head scratching. Horizon is the usual ubisoft map full of stuff but had a decent combat system to rise above that. His complaints are genuine but I found the stuff he moaned about like weapon degradation and rain as opportunities to think outside the box and formulate new ways of achieving objectives rather than frustrations.

I suppose it's all personal opinion but I'm still going to DDOS his website and insult him on twitter for bad mouthing a corporate product that I feel personally invested in.

While the reaction to his review is, as ever online, completely ridiculous, the fact that people were waiting for his review in expectant of being controversial tells you what a lot of what he does is for. I think he's the type of guy that would be disappointed if he didn't get trolled online or hadn't remarks sent his way.

He did what? There's no way that's right. Seen an article on Polygon but ignored it thinking, well that's rich coming from them after abandoning their Star Fox Zero review.

Let’s talk about that ‘bad review’ of Breath of the Wild
    It’s not about praise for those who made it, it’s about praise for those who bought it

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/13/14912864/breath-of-the-wild-review-jim-sterling-opinion

I like Jim's video's but it seems like he's really p1$$€d off these days. Various lawsuits from different companies and he really despises some of Nintendo's practices, as do I, but that's no reason to take it out on this game. I mean like he's really angry. If I hear some day soon that he's died it wouldn't surprise me. I'm going to have to write some words to him. One d1ck review and it's knocked its average score down 1% which at the summit is crucial.

Now, where's my sword? ;)
    Ganon5-article_image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

nix wrote: »
    How many hearts have you got? are you doing the shrines? are you following the main quest path? are you just randomly running around the map?

Five hearts. Trying to do shrines but keep getting bleeding distracted. And then battered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think Jim does it to be controversial and his review is more someone that didn't get zelda or it wasn't for him as the negatives aren't exactly unfounded even if I think those negatives for me make the game and ate importal to how it works. I just expected him to like it more since zelda is nearly the antithesis of the ubisoft formula and Horizon which he loved us just that ubi formula again even if it's better than any of those ubi games.

I actually would rather more people like jim that actually give a personal opinion than getting caught up in the hype or giving a score that the userbase expects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I just got my 100th shrine. I have five left on the shrine quest list, where the last fifteen are I have absolutely no idea!

Unless there are more than 120 of them it looks like you can't max out both your hearts and stamina? My stamina is maxed out and I have (I think) 23 hearts, so if there's only 120 shrines that means I can only get 28 hearts. There's probably something I'm missing but that would be a bit unusual that they can't both be maxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't think he minds this 'infamous' attention at all though, he constantly mentions about him not having review copies because he's a 'wildcard' etc etc. I think he likes being that though. The problem with criticism of reviews like that is that if someone does criticise it, it gets lumped in with all the people who trolled him or tried to attack his site or whatever.

At the end of the day if he thinks BOTW is only 0.5 better than Infinite Warfare then fair enough. I've never got why he's so listened to a lot of the time, but then I see stuff blown up like this and you remember this is what the internet is these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

According to my activity log, I'm '30 hours or more' into the game. I'm still feeling overwhelmed and endlessly curious about the secrets and surprises scattered across Hyrule. Like I just spent two or three hours slowly exploring the north-east coast. I found some ingeniously hidden shrines; I concoted and executed an
    ice block heavy plan
    to get an orange ball across an enemy infested sandspit; I finally gained access to the equipment to completely dominate Guardians; and best of all there was a
    giant floating maze
    that turned up oodles of loot during 30-45 minutes of exploration. I don't know if any game has ever got the basic concept of exploration as right as this one has.

This isn't how open world games typically work: a lot of them just recycle the same ideas with slight variants over dozens of hours. What a pleasure it is to play a game that full-on raises the bar with such persistence and confidence.

And to top it all off, belatedly discovered that Link can drop the most brilliantly silly selfie poses. Nintendo, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I am trying to decide if I agree or disagree with Jim's review. He claims that the difficulty is cheap by overpowering the enemies and making the weapons under powered and brittle, and the stamina bar being weak, but for me, this forces you to think before you do. To explore and experiment and discover.

Yesterday, I was about to face a boss, but was more or less weaponless, potion less and under prepared, so I had to go away to stock up. Because of this, I found a brand new village like something out of moana.

Every time I think it is getting hateful or frustrating, something like this happens and you can only admire it's design.

It's no secret that Jim has a huge beef with Nintendo and while his complaints are definitely not unfounded, they seem to be pushed to a higher priority than they should to force his own agenda.

That said, there are plenty of reviews that are a bit heavy on the other side as well. I'd be interested in how the game holds up in a year's time. Skyward sword was getting 10's back then and now one of this games strengths is because it is nothing like skyward sword.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Yesterday, I was about to face a boss, but was more or less weaponless, potion less and under prepared, so I had to go away to stock up. Because of this, I found a brand new village like something out of moana.

This is what like about the game. You are never Maxxed out ready to wipe the floor with the enemy. I do find myself exploring and forgetting about what I was meant to be doing.

It does suck when my favourite new sword breaks but hey that's life!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The weapon degradation is a bit crap though, I find myself forming a bond with weapons in some games so it was a bit jarring to constantly have them break in Zelda. Will have a watch of his review later but he's usually on the money for me. I don't pay too much attention to scores anyway and someone else not liking a game doesn't mean I won't.

I'm mainly playing Nioh at the minute (my favourite game so far this generation) but picked up Horizon Dawn after all the praise it was getting here and elsewhere, said to myself I'll just put it on for a few minutes to see what the fuss was about and couldn't put it down hours later. It's stunning, the visuals, the sounds, the environment, the tactical combat. :cool:

What I've played of Zelda so far (which isn't too much I'll admit, up to the area where you can get a horse) has been great fun, but it hasn't gripped me as much as the two above. I'll come back to it once I'm done with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Andrew76 wrote:
    The weapon degradation is a bit crap though, I find myself forming a bond with weapons in some games so it was a bit jarring to constantly have them break in Zelda.

Zelda like any game is not perfect. It's difficult for people to accept that some like certain games less than others.
    I never got to the part but I have to ask this.
    Does the Master Sword break?
    Surely not.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

ERG89 wrote: »
    Zelda like any game is not perfect. It's difficult for people to accept that some like certain games less than others.
    I never got to the part but I have to ask this.
    Does the Master Sword break?
    Surely not.....

I agree.

Your spoilered part - that was the first thing I thought once I realised weapons don't last. It better not, that would be one break from Zelda tradition I'd be extra annoyed at! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I don't think Jim does it to be controversial and his review is more someone that didn't get zelda or it wasn't for him as the negatives aren't exactly unfounded even if I think those negatives for me make the game and ate importal to how it works. I just expected him to like it more since zelda is nearly the antithesis of the ubisoft formula and Horizon which he loved us just that ubi formula again even if it's better than any of those ubi games.

I actually would rather more people like jim that actually give a personal opinion than getting caught up in the hype or giving a score that the userbase expects.

I think he is a contrarian, and has rather large chip on his shoulder with regards Nintendo.

I will also say that if you are purporting to review games then it's kind of implied that you will attempt to be objective, now of course your own personal enjoyment is subjective - like for instance I have no interest in Metal Gear Solid games for instance, but if I had to sit down and review the best games from the series I would be able to distance myself from own personal subjective experience and rate the game on it's objective merits or demerits.

TL:DR - he's a knob and shouldn't bother reviewing games if he can't at least attempt to give an impartial review.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Last night I finally had the balls to confront a Lynel and a Hinox and in both cases......I won :D

Just saying!!

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

In regards to a certain weapon breaking
    It does not. It runs out of power and takes some time to recharge, and you can't use it until then, but it doesn't break.

I maxed out my stamina last night, and started towards Goron City for the last beast on my list. I'm now scavenging as many rupees as I can to get the Ancient gear at the lab, in preparation for my eventual attack on Hyrule Castle. Quick question: When deflecting lasers from the guardians, does it matter if it's any old shield or does it have to be a Guardian shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've tried it unsuccessfully with standard shields, that just broke immediately. And haven't gotten a guardian shield in days now, so have been avoiding Guardians as much as possible!

I watched this Jim Sterling video a week ago but switched it off after a minute. Was that the review, I thought it was a bad joke? He does say 7/10.

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (The Videogame Show What I've Done)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY54lqfgD-k

I think he's possibly using this game to get back at Nintendo a little bit.

Climbed the central tower last night. I think I might have been a bit premature heading there, I had no idea what I was in for, I was just following a road towards something climbable, realised I was off-grid and looked for the nearest tower to extend my grid.

All I'll say is if you don't like guardians, don't go to Central Tower. Certainly don't try to climb it without at least 2 extra stamina bars and lazer-proof underpants. It's bloody good fun getting up it though. Emphasis on the Bloody.

Now, how the hell do I get down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

hah, Central Tower. Gas.
    I climbed around the back of it and managed to position myself on each platform in a way that was relatively safe. Was the toughest tower so far. I still have a few to go. Haven't been to the Zora Domain or Gorons yet. Too busy dossing around the villages and shrines!

Is there a way on the Wii U to tell how many hours you've put into this thing? I've seen people talking about it on the Switch.

Advertisement