Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,772 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

safetyboy wrote: »
    The desert was a nightmare of puzzles. I've 3 beasts down and one open ready to battle but I'm gonna leave him be and potter about for a while.

The desert one is the only one I've done, took me a couple of hours of messing around inside to figure out the puzzles and do the last bit but it was very enjoyable.

Someone mentioned back the thread a bit that they felt the game was gently nudging players in the direction of one particular DB at the start (tougher enemies etc en route to the others) - anyone have any guess as to which one that 'first' one was again?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The game seemed to steer me towards Vah Ruta as the first beast (near the Zora).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I kinda wish I'd sprung for the deluxe edition guide now. It looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Mr E wrote: »
    The game seemed to steer me towards Vah Ruta as the first beast (near the Zora).

Same here! Vah Ruta was the first one I did. I'm currently now inside Vah Medoh. Firstly I found Vah Medoh way easier to get into that the first and so far inside it's been easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

sligeach wrote: »
    Spent at least half an hour if not an hour in the snow up in the northeast looking for a shrine. Turned on the sensor after it having been off for the most part. It's beeping and it's near a cliff with some updraft winds blowing. Can't bloody find it. I bet there's something sneaky about it, like an entrance to a cave way off somewhere else. Very frustrating.

Still haven't found any of the dragons either(though I now know the general areas they're in thanks to a gossip book I read in the game). Only found the 3rd Great Fairy this evening.

If you're around the tower near the Snowball Bowling guy, I had a similar issue of trying to follow the beeps but them leading nowhere. There is one sneaky but easy to find shrine nearby - if you wander around long enough you'll catch sight of a flash of orange, but getting in to it is another matter :D - and another I can't get into but I think I've found the entrance. I had a couple of ideas about how to open it but I think I need some thermal underwear if I'm going to do them (I've been cheesing my way through the cold environments by wearing a great big flaming sword on my back to keep me warm).

Not sure how many dragons there are, I've either seen 4, or seen one of them twice in what I thought were 2 different areas. Shot one of them, he dropped something, but when I went to go pick it up I was jumped by a bunch of Stalfos / Zomkoblins - I think there's some sort of hard limit on the persistence of dropped items 'cause by the time I had destroyed them all whatever fell off the dragon was gone :(

Edit : Another Vah Ruta vote here - seemed like the obvious choice. Still the only beast I've actually gone near. I've been busy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Corholio wrote: »
    Seems to be an update out for BOTW and from early impressions online it seems to fix a lot of the framerate drops in certain areas quite substantially.

Is that for Switch or Wii U?
    I just dropped my Wii U to 720p in the settings and its grand. Don't notice any difference as my 46 inch samsung does the upscaling to 1080p instead. But I rarely see any slowdowns now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Is that for Switch or Wii U?
    I just dropped my Wii U to 720p in the settings and its grand. Don't notice any difference as my 46 inch samsung does the upscaling to 1080p instead. But I rarely see any slowdowns now.

For Switch...

Why would you drop your resolution to 720?

The console upscales automatically surely?

Is it a 4K TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Banjo wrote: »
    Not sure how many dragons there are, I've either seen 4, or seen one of them twice in what I thought were 2 different areas. Shot one of them, he dropped something, but when I went to go pick it up I was jumped by a bunch of Stalfos / Zomkoblins - I think there's some sort of hard limit on the persistence of dropped items 'cause by the time I had destroyed them all whatever fell off the dragon was gone :(

From what I know there is the Electricity dragon, Fire dragon and the Ice dragon
    who starts off all blight'ed.
    If they drop something, you can pick it up for a while and then it vanishes but the dragon won't drop anything else while the first drop is present. Just means to you can't pepper the poor thing with arrows and collect the spoils. You either hit him once and then sleep until the next day and shoot him again or him him once, collect the drop and then scurry after them to shoot and collect again.

Shrines can also be beneath you, keep that in mind, especially in the snowy Hebra region.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Did the 1.1.1 Update for Zelda: Breath of the Wild Fix the Frame Rate? FPS Comparison! (Switch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hdGpEPy-K4

I must check Hateno Village, that's where I noticed the biggest drop. Regarding the Shrines, I'm aware some are below the feet, I've found nearly 90 of them and some have been really cleverly hidden. Just this one has me stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Irishbrick

Just took out the white lynel sitting at my desk! Good times!

• Advertisement

• sligeach wrote: »
    Did the 1.1.1 Update for Zelda: Breath of the Wild Fix the Frame Rate? FPS Comparison! (Switch)

I must check Hateno Village, that's where I noticed the biggest drop. Regarding the Shrines, I'm aware some are below the feet, I've found nearly 90 of them and some have been really cleverly hidden. Just this one has me stumped.

I would wait for Digital Foundry, the video above provides no technical detail at all

Anyone know if the hylian shield when acquired, does it break and if it can be remade, who remakes it?

Irishbrick wrote: »
    Anyone know if the hylian shield when acquired, does it break and if it can be remade, who remakes it?

I haven't seen it break or wear down, it's different from the sword.

This shrine is in the Hebra Mountains, at the very top, Northwest, halfway between Icefall Foothills and Hebra North Crest along the cliffs. Can't find it though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Fieldog wrote: »
    For Switch...

Why would you drop your resolution to 720?

The console upscales automatically surely?

Is it a 4K TV?

Not a 4k TV.
    At 1080p, the Wii U is sending 1080p to the TV via HDMI, so it has to process 1080p on the console.
    I figure dropping to 720p, the Wii U just processes at 720p, sends 720p to the TV and the TV upscales it to 1080p.

Am I wrong?

sligeach wrote: »

I haven't seen it break or wear down, it's different from the sword.

This shrine is in the Hebra Mountains, at the very top, Northwest, halfway between Icefall Foothills and Hebra North Crest along the cliffs. Can't find it though
    It's a hidden shrine,(to quomo shrine) look at the map to the right(east) of where hebra North Summit is written, zoom in on the map and you'll see a little unnamed pond with two doors not too far away! You need to break these down, if you want I'll pm you details!

Apparently it does break but takes a long time. If it does, there's a merchant in Tarrey Town (that's a side quest all by itself) that can remake it. I've only read this so unconfirmed. As soon as I got the Hylian Shield I put it on the wall of my house along with all the other Divine Beast rewards weapons/shields (
    Gerudo sword and shield, Zora trident, Rito bow and Goron sword crusher-thing.
    ).

Put a Royal bow, a Lynel bow and one of the Black Royal Shields from Hyrule Castle up there as well to finish out the collection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Not a 4k TV.
    At 1080p, the Wii U is sending 1080p to the TV via HDMI, so it has to process 1080p on the console.
    I figure dropping to 720p, the Wii U just processes at 720p, sends 720p to the TV and the TV upscales it to 1080p.

Am I wrong?

I'm open to correction but I'm sure the Wii U itself should handle that without you having to change resolutions via the console settings

It depends on your TV also whether it does or doesn't support upscaling via HDMI but most modern one's

I would leave as is resolution wise, there isn't going to be a performance gain like a PC and a dedicated graphics card would....

How old is your TV?

If it's from the last 8 or so years it should handle​ it all fine if you leave the console at 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Rhyme wrote: »
    Apparently it does break but takes a long time. If it does, there's a merchant in Tarrey Town (that's a side quest all by itself) that can remake it. I've only read this so unconfirmed. As soon as I got the Hylian Shield I put it on the wall of my house along with all the other Divine Beast rewards weapons/shields (
    Gerudo sword and shield, Zora trident, Rito bow and Goron sword crusher-thing.
    ).

Put a Royal bow, a Lynel bow and one of the Black Royal Shields from Hyrule Castle up there as well to finish out the collection :)

How do you get money together for the gaff, how much is it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Spent far too long on the Vah Naboris Camel Dungeon. I had already completed the Bird Dungeon so
    had access to Falco from Star Fox's magic updraft which made it a lot easier, right up until I had to activate the final switch. The one that's in a cage inside the centre of the camel. I spent the best part of two hours trying to work out how to bring electricity to it because that was the only way I could see me opening it. I paused to take a break because my head was getting melted by the whole thing and suddenly saw on the map screen that I could spin the internals via the map screen. I totally forgot that you can manipulate the boss dungeons from inside the maps screen and had the whole thing finished five minutes later. Nice boss fight too, having to electrocute him in the second phase.

safetyboy wrote: »
    How do you get money together for the gaff, how much is it anyway?

It's 30 pieces of wood and 3,000 rupees. You'll get the cash easily enough by selling stuff you get. Just mine/blow up every piece of ore you see and you'll have it in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you head west, there's a pretty easy to win game that costs 20 quid and pays out 300, and doesn't take a long time to play. You can pay off the house in about 10-15 minutes.

I would definitely consider the cost to be closer to 4000 since you'll want to buy a few odds n sods to make it useful. If you bankrupt yourself at 3000 you'll be very disappointed at what you get for the money.

Once you buy the house and get all the bits and bobs, the carpenters give you a load of furniture and lights and such.

The house is mostly bragging rights but you do get a place to put your spare weapons and such, a free bed and some funny dialogue from the carpenters.

Getting the wood is a doddle. There is a wood next to Hateno that you can bomb to your hearts content. I cleared it out once which got me enough for the house and most of the way through the Tarrey Town side quest.

Having some spare wood and flint is handy while
    hunting the dragons too as you can find a good spot and sleep until they spawn, send an arrow their way, pick up the spoils and return to the camp fire, throw another flint on and sleep again to get another scale/horn/tooth/claw etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Good to hear I'm not the only bomb lumberjack! :D One to take the tree down, one to smash the trunk into sticks for the fire/builders! :D

Star Lord wrote: »
    Good to hear I'm not the only bomb lumberjack! :D One to take the tree down, one to smash the trunk into sticks for the fire/builders! :D

Yup :) I try to throw conservatively as well so I can take down two trees with one bomb or turn one tree into firewood while knocking down another tree.

...or use the Master Sword as an axe since it regenerates :)

• What else is the ore for? Can I just sell it?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What else is the ore for? Can I just sell it?

You can sell it but you can also use it for different pieces of armour.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What else is the ore for? Can I just sell it?

You'll eventually need the higher end stuff - rubys, saphires and diamonds to buy defensive headpieces. Not sure if they're worth it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

This game is insane! I remember when I used to....watch tv....! I think I'm actually cooking more in Zelda than I'm doing in real life :O

And I'm still only 1 beast in. Think I had my first Zelda dream too. Yeah gotta cut back from the 6 hour sessions!!

Real rainwater puddles form and dissipate in BOTW due to the weather.
    5o3woyhi1fny.jpg

The game that just keeps on giving. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

And by fvck does it rain!

Advertisement