Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

sligeach wrote:
    This thing has to the biggest pain in the hole to collect. Even with the sensor on, half the time it's telling me to jump into the lava. I now just buy them from Beedle, it's not worth the hassle. I don't know how people would enjoy playing this game in handheld mode on the Switch. It must be a nightmare to see any insect? I don't really like playing games like this on the gamepad. I have played some of it on the gamepad but only for certain things or if there's something on TV I want to watch while playing. I like it for 2D games but not 3D games.

80% of my switch play is handheld mode and it's a joy :) Never had any problems seeing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

only thing that bothers me is the analogue click if you are in mid battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Just got around to beating Ganon (thanks to a sick day today)

I've 62 shrines and 4 devine beasts done too. Think I might take a break from it now for a while.

Absolutely amazing game and will be looked back at as a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

kellso81 wrote: »
    That's how I beat the
    hinox on eventide island
    , don't think I'd try it with a lynel though

I stood halfway up the nearby cliff/slope, just out of range of thrown stones, and kept throwing bombs down at it... A war of attrition if there ever was one!

So on an wild impulse I have ended up on Eventide Island. I may have made a huge mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Using the switch in handheld for the first time since getting it during the weekend. Zelda does look fantastic on the smaller screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Star Lord wrote: »
    I stood halfway up the nearby cliff/slope, just out of range of thrown stones, and kept throwing bombs down at it... A war of attrition if there ever was one!

You don't even have to fight him... Just steal it!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

There's no missables (or important ones at least) if I focus on the story, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

_Godot_ wrote: »
    There's no missables (or important ones at least) if I focus on the story, right?

Wrong. That's the whole thing about the game. Obviously what's important is subjective to the individual player, but if you were to focus only on the story, you'd miss a million and one different things that make the game what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Found the Forgotten Temple. Now I know why people chose to forget it. Anyone know a good Shield merchant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Banjo wrote: »
    Found the Forgotten Temple. Now I know why people chose to forget it. Anyone know a good Shield merchant?

I went through 5 shields and dodged the last 2 guardians. YOu can glide through it without fighting the guardians also.

So is Eventide Island doable with 6 hearts or should I swim for safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

fixxxer wrote: »

It's doable. Take your time, plan your moves, collect everything useful (weapons) and beware of any suspicious chests. The 'ball altar' thing in the rocks as you approach the island is tricky but using the raft helps.

The nearby shrine in the middle of the water, however, is too tough at that stage. It's a Major Test of Strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Gah, ****ing sensor goes off telling me there's a shrine near by, can never bloody see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It's certainly doable. The first time I went there I had 3 hearts, it was early in the game and it seemed daunting. When I came back later it wasn't that I'd more hearts but the knowledge I'd built up in the game that made it really easy. I wish there were more challenges like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Down for whistling is the worst thing about the game. Lost count of the amount of times I was sneaking up on an enemy camp and accidentally pressing down and EVERY enemy for miles knows where I am

:D:D:D

It's absolutely doable with six hearts; I took very little damage. Plenty of resources around (including a cooking pot), so make the most of them.

For the Hinox,
    there's a cliff overlooking him. Glide down from there, land right on top of him. Pick up the ball and sneak away. He won't even wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What's the story with Guardians charging up a shot, and them beaming 4 in a row at me? Not much good getting a parry if I lose half my health to an undodgable shot, bloody Hylian Shield saving me again.

I finished it yesterday and have had a wonderful time with the game, I think Kass is my favourite NPC ever, but Jesus the guardians are such a pain in the arse for the above.

I think I'm going to get the last two memories, beat Ganon again and then wrap it up, I've 92 Shrines done and explored most of the map, so I'm not sure what else I should be doing. Fannying around in my 3 week long journey from the Zora to the Gorons was sound, but now I have no end goal.

If they get the second shot off, you didn't parry properly. You deflected it rather than reflecting it. I find your best bet is to back off a little or close the gap depending on whether you're on top of them or miles away. Just outside of your own striking distance seems to be the sweet spot (at least for my old-man-reactions) for hitting Parry just in time to send the beam straight back into the Guardian's face.

I take it you're doing a Major Test of Strength?

Then the second connects, and they fire 2 more when I'm rolling around on fire.

Happens in the tests of strength, but I find it much more common on the Stalker variants.

Tbf there's a lot of problems with them IMO, if you chop all their legs off, they fall over when they shoot, then straighten out and start shooting, so you need to parry and then whack them with the master sword 25 times, as you can parry the shot, but it won't hit their eye so does no damage. Can leave you in unwinnable fights quite often.

Major Tests of strength have boiled down to dodges until the Master Sword breaks and then just whirlwinding with an axe or great sword, you do a silly amount of damage with max stamina.

Maybe I'll visit that swirly island next...

• Advertisement

OK, maybe I'm wrong - the only time I've been multi-beamed by a single Guardian is in the final stages of a Test of Strength, and only when I failed to or only partially parried. I've always found that a perfect slo-mo parry shuts them down for a few seconds. I've only beaten 3 divine beasts, this may be something that scales up?

Is it just me or does the Master Sword not recognise Shrine guardians as proper Guardians? I've never had the MS break on a stuck or walking Guardapus, but with the little ones it doesn't do much appreciable damage compared to other weapons and it wears out very quickly.

The swirly island is a peninsula. I've already said too much :D

I don't think its ever happened off a successful parry, but even when parrying to early and getting the full blast of the first beam it still happens, or a deflect/block of the first beam can be followed up with more.

It is a peninsula. I guess I'll check that out next.

And Linebeck Island.

Then, then I'm hanging up BOTW for my other Switch game, Snipperclips.

The Master Sword only glows and 'powers up' when in contact with things 'infected' by Calamity Ganon. The Guardians inside Shrines are uninfected and are just there to test you, to prove you worthy. Killing you is an unfortunate side effect.

Only the Shrine Guardians do the multi-beam attack. Either deflect the first beam or run around the Guardian so all the beams miss.

Before you venture out onto the swirly peninsula, scope out what's in the middle of it and look for something at the base of the 'swirl' to fit into that thing. It'll save you a long journey.

Nah the Stalkers can definitely just bop off 3-4 shots while I'm rolling on the deck, I've had them send off 8-10 shots in a row while hitting them with swords, they fire every time you hit them in some cases.

I'm pretty sure you can break the MS against guardians, mine was broken at the start of the Ganon fight and I don't think I got through the castle in under 10 mins. It reforms for that fight anyways. Though that's the only time I can think of it happening.

I'm in two minds about finishing all the Shrines, its mad to have most of the main quest, most side quests and 3/4 of all the Shrines done and only have 26% completion, bloody Korok Seeds.

Did I hear mention of a Silver Lynel? Are they a step above the White Maned Lynels or is that someone just calling them Silver?

Its a pity the combat is so lackluster in 1v1 situations, where its just stand and swing, 3 or 4 Black Bokoblins is always a better fight than a battle of attrition against 1 Silver. Though Amber is nice.

And I've another Spring to find. And a Fairy thing.

I keep remembering stuff to do, damn you Nintendo, the Zelda hooks are in.

I've never had the Stalkers do the multi-beam attack though I've seen it in trailers :/ When I've gone toe-to-toe with them they've either blown me away with the first shot (so I don't notice any follow-up) or I deflect the first shot (so there isn't a chance for follow-up). Will have to attack one on horseback and strafe them, see what happens. I've definitely had the Master Sword break on Guardians out in the field, pain in the arse actually.

It's worth it to get all the Shrines. Each one has its own puzzle and reward so is content in itself, not box-ticking. Be the same as playing every level in a game like Snipperclips... except where you had to find the games. The reward for getting all of the Shrines is nice too, upgrading it is a trial all by itself.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Before you venture out onto the swirly peninsula...
    STOP! Telling him it's a peninsula was enough of a clue!

You can save a bit of time using Cryonisis platforms to push and guide. Or at least you can tell yourself it's saving time but by christ it's a chore.

That sounds like a challenge Rhyme, I'll go for it.

Once I don't need to fight any more Molduga.

Its always been up close and personal for the multi shot, and never happens after a successful parry, its not a huge deal as the first shot does the damage, the other 2 or 3 just set things on fire and knock Link around without hurting him, its just a pain when its a partial/failed parry followed by a full beam, or it knocks you off a cliff.

Q about Fairy Fountains
    There's 4, and the horse god, so 5 total, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Q about Fairy Fountains
    There's 4, and the horse god, so 5 total, correct?

Yup, that's it!

STOP! Telling him it's a peninsula was enough of a clue!

You can save a bit of time using Cryonisis platforms to push and guide. Or at least you can tell yourself it's saving time but by christ it's a chore.

Whoops!

tWuIH34.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

OK, maybe I'm wrong - the only time I've been multi-beamed by a single Guardian is in the final stages of a Test of Strength, and only when I failed to or only partially parried. I've always found that a perfect slo-mo parry shuts them down for a few seconds. I've only beaten 3 divine beasts, this may be something that scales up?

Is it just me or does the Master Sword not recognise Shrine guardians as proper Guardians? I've never had the MS break on a stuck or walking Guardapus, but with the little ones it doesn't do much appreciable damage compared to other weapons and it wears out very quickly.

The swirly island is a peninsula. I've already said too much :D

I did it by changing masks as I saw what was ahead. Pain in the @rse when I tried without them.

Advertisement