Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

To drop a shield without entering a menu, just show it to a guardian and count to 7. He will very helpfully remove it for you along with any tattoos you have and your face. You can also do the Shield Surf (hold shield out with L, Jump, press A i think in the air) which, on non-snowy surfaces, will break the shield pretty quickly. But there's no quick way to drop it and unfortunately no shield-throw which would have been awesome.

Worth bearing in mind with dropping weapons with R, they take damage when you throw them even if you don't hit something with them, so if you're undecided about which weapon you're going to keep use the menu. (Also, if you're not already using R to throw weapons, start! When you get the warning that your weapon is about to break, throw it in the monsters face. It often causes them to drop their own weapon which you can scoop up and continue wailing on them with).

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Irishbrick

Paleblood wrote: »
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Find it hard to even play Horizon Zero Dawn after Zelda. No fault of the game, thought it would be awful but was pleasantly surprised but it's just not a patch on Zelda.

I'm playing both right now. Horizon is a high quality game but it's interactivity and traversal are nowhere near good enough when compared to Breath of the Wild.

The typical response to that would be "yeah, but that's not what the game is about". But the beauty of Zelda is that it's not really 'about' those things either. Nintendo just realised that you cannot have an open world full of dead environments.

A contributor on another forum I frequent made the point that as good as Horizon is, the minute to minute traveral isn't much more advanced than Crash Bandicoot on the PS1 (just look at Aloy's jump). Okay, there's some Uncharted-esque climbing sequences but those are very specific; Aloy cannot move like that on the ground, so to speak.

That was one of my early criticisms of the game upon release, so you can imagine how I feel about it after playing Breath of the Wild for 7 days straight.

I'm not usually a fan of comparing games in such a direct fashion because it ignores the various nuances at play, but other open world games should be compared to Zelda. It's the kick up the ass they all needed.
    100% agree with this post! Horizon is damn good, but by comparison..... It's paltry! So imagine trying to compare the experience of zelda to mass effect anticlimax.... Good god!
    And yes, I do find horizon a chore to traverse.... Probably wouldn't have noticed too much before zelda, the epitome of 'ooooh shiny, what's that, four hours later..... Eh what was I going to do before the shiny caught my eye'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

sweetie wrote: »
    right bumper to throw away your main weapon, I think

Cheers. I spotted that alright but I was hoping for something a bit more elegant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Irishbrick wrote: »
    100% agree with this post! Horizon is damn good, but by comparison..... It's paltry! So imagine trying to compare the experience of zelda to mass effect anticlimax.... Good god!
    And yes, I do find horizon a chore to traverse.... Probably wouldn't have noticed too much before zelda, the epitome of 'ooooh shiny, what's that, four hours later..... Eh what was I going to do before the shiny caught my eye'

I'd have to respectfully disagree there. I gave up on Zelda after 10 hours or so yet spent close to 60 on HZD - Horizon was much more fun I thought - looks better, sounds better, combat is better, story is more interesting. Not sure how traversal in Zelda is better considering you can't run or climb very far without running out of stamina! Also, I can override robots in Horizon and ride them about the place. :cool: Maybe the Zelda experience improves the longer you stick with it, never felt the love for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not sure how traversal in Zelda is better

When Aloy comes across a three foot tall obstacle she has to circle it by 25 yards to get by.

Link climbs over it.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not sure how traversal in Zelda is better considering you can't run or climb very far without running out of stamina! Also, I can override robots in Horizon and ride them about the place. :cool: Maybe the Zelda experience improves the longer you stick with it, never felt the love for it though.

Early on Stamina management is a bit of a chore, but it feels like that was there so you would start treating mountains as puzzles - once you calibrate your eye you can look for the flat-ish ledges where you'll be able to catch your breath, or identify the challenges you're not ready for.

I don't think you're supposed to run anywhere. There's so much going on that if you run you'd miss, but very quickly (if you follow the plot, or wander into the right areas) you'll find horses that will get you around quickly, and there's fast travel. And boats. And mine carts. And the amazing Octoballoonacopter. And the Magnetic Baumgartner Platform. So you have plenty of options. In BotW you can never be bored, only boring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

trying to get that blood moon shrine ive set about 50 bonfires.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

safetyboy wrote: »

Why?

to sleep to get the blood moon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Why not just hang around the region until its a natural blood moon?

They happen like once an in game week, sounds like you're just wasting time if you still haven't gotten one.

• Advertisement

Was bored just trying it out to see if I could get a blood moon tbh, Ive traipsed around for nearly 200 hours so was just playing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The blood moon can be bugged if game time goes on. I kept on getting the blood moon cut scene, with no blood moon, when I was using the bonfire in order to get pass the Shrine Quest that relies on the blood moon. I had to restart the game.

I'm running out of shrines, have about 90 and this is my next. I cant go wander anymore or the game is done. **** them little Torags, I've 112 and no way I'm going near 900.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

€48 in Argos for the switch version as of now, no reduction on the Wii U one unfortunately.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6847504/Trail/searchtext%3EZELDA.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Argos in Dundrum has one limited edition version left if anyone is looking.

Still €99.99 smyths are doing it for €89.99 was hoping for a price drop on that but no such luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I finished it without doing all the memories. The ending I got is making me go right back and do them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 patrick 3759

safetyboy wrote: »

The blood moon rose within 2 minutes after i heard the song from that character. I actually thought it was triggered in game....but i must have been lucky :D

I think we're talking about the same shrine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

2 Divine Beasts done now. I've been playing this very slow lately as I don't want it to end. I think I've done nearly everything but the game keeps throwing up pleasant surprises. Completed the 2nd Divine Beast yesterday, upgraded a load of armour, added more items to my compendium, found new untravelled areas, how is that even possible? I've been everywhere but am still finding nooks and crannies that have been unexplored Even doing nothing in this game, does something. Played for a few hours and think I only found 1 new Korok seed which is unusual, the sound gave it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

sligeach wrote: »
    2 Divine Beasts done now. I've been playing this very slow lately as I don't want it to end. I think I've done nearly everything but the game keeps throwing up pleasant surprises. Completed the 2nd Divine Beast yesterday, upgraded a load of armour, added more items to my compendium, found new untravelled areas, how is that even possible? I've been everywhere but am still finding nooks and crannies that have been unexplored Even doing nothing in this game, does something. Played for a few hours and think I only found 1 new Korok seed which is unusual, the sound gave it away.

Grrrraaagh! Nintendoooo!

*shakes fist*

• Advertisement

Shake harder boy!

Damn game is giving me migraines and a serious lust to start climbing pylons to open the area, or die from lack of stamina, I am lazy, so very lazy and as far as I know I don't have a paragliding thing on my back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

But there might be a korok up there....or a treasure chest with an item you don't need or don't have room for anyway, screw the time in hospital, go for it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I spent an hour trying to climb a mountain with the wrong clothes and the wrong meals cooked.
    It was fantastic!

Didn't touch the Switch all weekend, the weather was too good. Had a barbecue yesterday. The first barbecue of the year is always a special moment. Fired up the coals, grabbed a couple of drumsticks, some mushrooms and a dockleaf from the garden for a health boost, threw them on the grill, sang the little song and bam! 3 seconds later I had a delicious meal and food poisoning.

Are there multiple endings? Would I be better off finishing before I do the final beast, then going back and doing the final beast, then going back and getting the last couple of memories?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

So you can get hit by lightning anywhere if you've equipped any metal weapons yet your wooden weapons get destroyed in Goron city even if unequipped!? Whats that all about?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Banjo wrote: »
    Didn't touch the Switch all weekend, the weather was too good. Had a barbecue yesterday. The first barbecue of the year is always a special moment. Fired up the coals, grabbed a couple of drumsticks, some mushrooms and a dockleaf from the garden for a health boost, threw them on the grill, sang the little song and bam! 3 seconds later I had a delicious meal and food poisoning.

Are there multiple endings? Would I be better off finishing before I do the final beast, then going back and doing the final beast, then going back and getting the last couple of memories?

Banjo's House yesterday....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgaEc6i3lWCz0nfnNOaCuv_x-FGalNYut4ja1wph9KBqmECePu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I spent an hour trying to climb a mountain with the wrong clothes and the wrong meals cooked.
    It was fantastic!

The wrong clothes...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

fixxxer wrote: »
    The wrong clothes...?

It gets colder the higher you get. There is a climbing set that makes you climb faster.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Banjo's House yesterday....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgaEc6i3lWCz0nfnNOaCuv_x-FGalNYut4ja1wph9KBqmECePu

Ha! If Nintendo Karen was over my gaff yesterday I wouldn't be able to walk today!

(Because I'm old, and hunching over that tiny screen for 16 hours playing mariokart would lock my spine up)

(Oh, and also the sexing.)

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »

That sentence made my head hurt. :P

No multiple endings, just a bonus scene. However, I would say it's worth getting the memories anyway because the memories are interesting in themselves, and fill in the story a bit.

Advertisement