Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Fuk the Lost Woods
    carry a torch and watch the sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,368 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I have the 120 Star Fragments collected and ready for the amiibo costume upgrades. Talk about a grind, it took a long, long time. And I've the Dragon parts for the Fierce Diety upgrades. That at least was easy.
    WVW69kekp2EYi3K0Bs

Just waiting for the amiibo cards to arrive now.

The amiibo cards and leather case arrived yesterday. They look class, work perfectly. They're like individual credit cards and match the advertising photos perfectly.

After quite some considerable time I got all the armour and good weapons unlocked and upgraded. Twilight Bow, Hero's Shield, Sword of the Six Sages, Fierce Deity Sword, etc. Plus 5 new Link costumes. The Fierce Diety Link costume looks brilliant and functions the same as the Barbarian armour so I'll be wearing that in future.
    WVW69kevavcHjal-2H

WVW69kevYO8NKXNduK

I've way more Star Fragments than was needed. I've 60+ left over. I'd read a couple of guides that said 120 were required while I also remember an IGN guide saying only 1 were required for each level upgrade. Several hours needlessly wasted.

https://rankedboost.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild/armor-upgrades/

That guide is so wrong.

Someone here said they'd rather unlock the pieces naturally rather than constantly resetting, well good luck with that. The very first thing I tried to unlock was the Twilight Bow. I'm not exaggerating, it must have been at least 100 tries and still couldn't get it, eventually I gave up on it. Came back later and after another 15 goes I finally got it. By a mile it was the hardest piece to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm jealous of your hearts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I get nothing but meat fish and royal shields...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Buying those cards is the equivalent of theft though.
    No two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Buying those cards is the equivalent of theft though. No two ways about it.

How so?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Buying those cards is the equivalent of theft though.
    No two ways about it.

The way I see it is it's Nintendo's tough $h1t for so many reasons. It's minimal effort locked behind a scam. A lot of these amiibo aren't available to buy unless you want your eyes gouged out by scalpers. And some aren't available to buy, full-stop. Nintendo gave no alternative to people that wanted this content but none of the clutter. So now some less than scrupulous person in China has my money instead for offering a service that Nintendo seems oblivious to providing. I said before I'd have paid Nintendo some money for this, like all their other DLC before it, but there is no option. Is the content worth a couple of hundred Euro? Hell no. Some like the Bokoblin I haven't or won't use. And then other SCamiibo I see, like the Guardian amiibo, as far I'm aware is the only way to get Large Ancient Cores outside of the few within the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Giant Ancient Cores can be found in a few shrines in chests. Turret Guardians around Hyrule Castle do drop them now and again as well as the odd Guardian when killed.

The cards are fairly harmless though imo. A handy way to get the things without buying the amiibo. I also don't think the amiibo are a scam (yawn) or anything like that either, they are more than just the data contained within for most people who buy them.

Still, it's theft.
    Just because you feel hard done by the behaviour of Nintendo doesn't give you the moral authority to take their stuff, or buy the resulting cards after someone else has made cards out of proprietary code that they've no right to copy.

So Sligeach, this is a FU from you to Nintendo and their evil ways, a statement or something.
    But it's really just buying pirated material off of a guy/gal online and then telling everyone on a Nintendo forum about it, as if it's cool, which it really isn't.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    The Giant Ancient Cores can be found in a few shrines in chests. Turret Guardians around Hyrule Castle do drop them now and again as well as the odd Guardian when killed.

The cards are fairly harmless though imo. A handy way to get the things without buying the amiibo. I also don't think the amiibo are a scam (yawn) or anything like that either, they are more than just the data contained within for most people who buy them.

I have the Giant Ancient Cores from the Shrines, once they're collected, that's it. I've never gotten one from a Guardian. Getting a regular ancient core is extremely rare, never mind its big brother. And that's from over 500 hours playing. I got one from the Guardian amiibo after less than a couple of dozen resets. That to me is almost pay to win. Although they're not essential, you will need them to make some ancient weapons. I had 3 Giant Ancient Cores and 9 regular cores, now I've a reliable method to get them, though limited to 1 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Irishbrick

Aha, the penny drops, not an official Nintendo release!
    Have to agree with CiDeRmAn on this, it's basically theft!
    Nintendo are seriously stupid sometimes....... Those cards are a great idea!

When I said a couple of hundred Euro earlier. That's if they were at retail price. A lot of them aren't. It would probably cost €500 to buy all these in amiibo form. 18 amiibo. No thanks. I've now got a nice mini wallet with all of them that can fit easily in my pocket. It's Nintendo's own fault. There's loads of people buying these on Ebay. I wasn't the one who mentioned these cards. I'd no idea until someone posted about them and I'm glad they did. €16 or €17 was a very fair price to pay. I'm against piracy 99 out of 100 times but in this case I think it's fair for the reasons I stated. And stuff like the Twilight Bow being locked behind a paywall is completely unfair. It's already in the game.

Edit:

DFHqPSnW0AAIxmf.jpg:small

DFHqWNLXYAATUFV.jpg:small

sligeach wrote:
    When I said a couple of hundred Euro earlier. That's if they were at retail price. A lot of them aren't. It would probably cost €500 to buy all these in amiibo form. 18 amiibo. No thanks. I've now got a nice mini wallet with all of them that can fit easily in my pocket. It's Nintendo's own fault. There's loads of people buying these on Ebay. I wasn't the one who mentioned these cards. I'd no idea until someone posted about them and I'm glad they did. €16 or €17 was a very fair price to pay. I'm against piracy 99 out of 100 times but in this case I think it's fair for the reasons I stated. And stuff like the Twilight Bow being locked behind a paywall is completely unfair. It's already in the game.

So long story short, piracy is bad. Unless it's something you want. Ok, gotcha.

Like all forms of piracy, if it's a moral thing you can deal with, you can justify, then that's great.
    Just no one should fool themselves into thinking that it is a good thing, or a right thing.
    You're not wrong, in so far as it's a product Nintendo could make a mint out of, sets of cards for the entire range of Amiibo, captilising on those who don't want figurines.
    But this is not even an unofficial Nintendo product, and it is a form of theft.
    Often we excuse piracy because a thing is old, or well.out of the market or extremely rare and very expensive.
    Earthbound on the SNES for example.
    People will find ways to "obtain" the game because they can't afford the hundreds of euro it costs to buy even an unboxed copy.
    Most if these Amiibo though are still available, albeit in reduced numbers and some at inflated prices.

And, Sligeach, you have preached your hatred of the Amiibo concept for a long time now, this has nothing to do with you not being able to find stock of certain figurines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I think those cards are awesome and wish I'd bought them before they were taken down. It's the equivalent of buying a raspberry pi because the mini NES was impossible to get at a fair price.

pasta-solo wrote: »
    I think those cards are awesome and wish I'd bought them before they were taken down. It's the equivalent of buying a raspberry pi because the mini NES was impossible to get at a fair price.

That's a good analogy. You can still find them on Ebay.

Nintendo don't make money from secondhand amiibo or game sales. Yes, they made money from the initial sale but nothing from subsequent transfers. Are those people bad as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

pasta-solo wrote: »

Ah its not really, Pi are a legitimate brand, these are simply some guys get rich scheme, and nothing legal about them.

I'd justify it to myself if I could make them myself, I'd be hard pushed to pay someone else for them though, rather do without.

sligeach wrote: »
    And that's from over 500 hours playing.

How many hours a day were you putting in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Have been playing master mode for a little while now while waiting for splatoon 2, holy feck ya you have to pick yer battles and save your strong equipment, might go for hearts instead on stamina this run.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »

So I tried it out in the Castle killing the various Guardians to try and get a Giant Ancient Core. Got absolutely nothing and I killed lots of them. Used the card, got various Guardian weapons, shields, ancient arrows, ancient arrows x3. Then on my 8th go, I literally wrote down as I was playing what I was getting, I got a regular Ancient Core. And it worked out perfectly, on the 10th go I got the Giant Ancient Core. That's 2 in 2 days for absolutely nothing. It won't always come out that quickly mind you I'm sure.

How can a world so big, be so dense and so accessible?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Gah! Got to the last floor on the Final Trials, and because I badly mismanaged on one room, I wasted one ancient arrow, and didn't have enough for the Lynel. Any other Lynel, bar the spear one, and I would have been fine. That guy is tough. I'll know for next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Have about 100 hours in. All divine beasts etc. done. Decided yesterday to see what Ganon was like. Beat him first go, was great but not exactly hard. I still avoid the Lynels lol (don't think I've even beaten one)

Have still a fair bit to do so will stick with it, could see I didn't get the proper ending.

Excellent game. Usually if I finish this type of game I don't really go back.

Not even going to look for all the Kurok seeds as achievements etc don't bother me.

That is only gorgeous Sligeach, just beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Some gorgeous craftsmanship alright, don't think I could ever justify paying the price though.

Breath of the Wild performed by the Game Music Ensemble at UCLA in Schoenberg Concert Hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwNHwvBF05g

A Zelda-Themed Nintendo Switch Case To Rule Them All

Its beautiful...

• Advertisement

Breath of the Wild performed by the Game Music Ensemble at UCLA in Schoenberg Concert Hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwNHwvBF05g

The Einear Noone Celtic Zelda stuff is amazing too, perhaps not quite for the purists, as it does blend LoZ themes with some Irish tunes, but it is a great fit and they sound remarkable.

Advertisement