Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Update 1.4.1 is out for the Wii U version (if there's anyone still out there playing it). "Various fixes to improve gameplay" which is as vague as it gets.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/12/legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_gets_wii_u_update_to_improve_gameplay

Oh did they add gamepad support, because that would improve gameplay. Oh wait, they took that away because they decided that the whole unique selling point of the Wii U was pointless... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

That's it. It's all over.

Someone hold me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow I just installed the CEMU emulator to see what it was like, snip its absolutely perfect! Ill probably end up playing the whole thing over Christmas on it, was not expecting it to be this good, didnt find a single issue or glitch.

Mod edit, suggestions of current titles being emulated is skating too close to the rules. Hence the edit of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,369 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Zelda: Breath of the Wild won IGN's and Gamespot's Game of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm playing this too much.

This is absolutely true. I was taking the dog for a walk in the local park earlier. Dull day. There's a path with a row of medium size trees, fairly identical to each other, on each side, equally spaced. 12 trees on each side (I counted).

As I was walking along minding my own business, I noticed someone had left a grey basketball right between two of the trees. Before my brain could process what was happening, I instinctively thought "hmm, that's not right. Bet it'd be worth picking that up. Probably get some sort of minor reward for it".

It was literally a split second, but an odd experience.

Of course, I'm playing it again right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Amateur. You were supposed to place another grey basketball between the two trees directly on the opposite side.
    Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm playing this too much.

This is absolutely true. I was taking the dog for a walk in the local park earlier. Dull day. There's a path with a row of medium size trees, fairly identical to each other, on each side, equally spaced. 12 trees on each side (I counted).

As I was walking along minding my own business, I noticed someone had left a grey basketball right between two of the trees. Before my brain could process what was happening, I instinctively thought "hmm, that's not right. Bet it'd be worth picking that up. Probably get some sort of minor reward for it".

It was literally a split second, but an odd experience.

Of course, I'm playing it again right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Xofpod wrote: »
    Amateur. You were supposed to place another grey basketball between the two trees directly on the opposite side.

c8b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,369 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ah, it can't be the end. My OCD won't allow it. Would it have been that hard to give us the two extra hearts!? COME ON!

I literally cant stop playing, half an hour after I turn it off Im back on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Anyone who hasn't completed the DLC it's a good idea to just do the shrines and the final dungeon and leave the outfit side quests until after you have finished. It will leave you a good reason for riding around on the bike afterwards.

This has basically ruined all similar open world games for me. I played Horizon Zero Dawn for about 7 hours so far. What a big pile of meh in comparison. Adds nothing new. Shocked at the level of adoration it has got.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pac1Man wrote: »
    This has basically ruined all similar open world games for me. I played Horizon Zero Dawn for about 7 hours so far. What a big pile of meh in comparison. Adds nothing new. Shocked at the level of adoration it has got.

Maybe give it longer than 7 hours. HZD was the game that made me stop playing BotW on Wii U, one of the few games I stuck with and finished. Now I've spent more time with Zelda on Switch I can appreciate it's the better game overall, but off the top of my head it's weaker in at least 4 areas - combat, visuals, story and it doesn't have mech-dinosaur thingies! :pac:

No way would I go so far as saying it ruins all other open world games - The Witcher 3 ruined? Nope. :)

I'll keep going to see if it grabs me. I probably shouldn't have started it so soon after Zelda.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'll keep going to see if it grabs me. I probably shouldn't have started it so soon after Zelda.

Yeah maybe a different genre altogether would be better idea. It's not going to top Zelda anyway.

I'm glad I stuck with it this time, just about to tackle my first divine beast thing but I keep getting side tracked - I see a shrine off in the distance and I have to go to it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah maybe a different genre altogether would be better idea. It's not going to top Zelda anyway.

I'm glad I stuck with it this time, just about to tackle my first divine beast thing but I keep getting side tracked - I see a shrine off in the distance and I have to go to it. :D

And on your way to the shrine you see a place tempting you to climb it

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And on your way to the shrine you see a place tempting you to climb it

Chances are it's just a Korok at the top anyway ;)

But yeah, that's one of the best things about this game; feels like there are secrets around every corner.

Chances are it's just a Korok at the top anyway ;)

But yeah, that's one of the best things about this game; feels like there are secrets around every corner.

I have 23 of those seeds to spend - just haven't found the forest where yer man is hiding out at.

Are those shrine orbs the only way to increase your hearts/stamina? Other than temporarily with food. Only have 6 hearts I think and half an extra stamina ring, 4 orbs per upgrade is slow going. :)

After doing another shrine I sailed over to an island that stripped me of all my gear - didn't manage to complete that quest so will go back when I get a few more hearts.

After doing another shrine I sailed over to an island that stripped me of all my gear - didn't manage to complete that quest so will go back when I get a few more hearts.
    That has to be my favourite part of the game so far, just a brilliant idea.

Are those shrine orbs the only way to increase your hearts/stamina? Other than temporarily with food.

Yeah, that's the only way I'm afraid.
    Only have 6 hearts I think and half an extra stamina ring, 4 orbs per upgrade is slow going. :)

It is slow going; I'd maybe focus on hearts more at first. But keep chipping away at the shrines, you'll have plenty of hearts/stamina before you know it.

• Advertisement

Without spoilers, can you just take off and do a Divine Beast when you've barely started? Ive made it to
    the Research Laboratory where she fixed the camera on my slate
    and have 5 hearts and about half an extra wheel of stamina from doing shrines.

I think Im on my way to a divine beast anyway, lots of
    rain
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You can take off and do the final boss if that's what you want. I think for the beasts there's a very early event required. Not sure if that only gives you the marker on the map, so maybe you can go straight there

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Thargor wrote: »
    Without spoilers, can you just take off and do a Divine Beast when you've barely started? Ive made it to
    the Research Laboratory where she fixed the camera on my slate
    and have 5 hearts and about half an extra wheel of stamina from doing shrines.

I think Im on my way to a divine beast anyway, lots of
    rain
    ?

You can do whatever you like. Fight the final boss if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Banjo wrote: »
    You can take off and do the final boss if that's what you want. I think for the beasts there's a very early event required. Not sure if that only gives you the marker on the map, so maybe you can go straight there

It marks their locations afaik.

Thanks, I wasn't following those location markers though, I was just swimming along when a Zora asked me to go to a bridge on the other side of a mountain and speak to their Prince. Glad I did now, what a quest! Some very useful abilities and items.

This is starting to edge out Witcher 3 as my favourite game of all time now, definitely agree with all the game of the year awards it's won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Watched a (very) short feature on Sky News this morning on the best video games of 2017 - first up was Horizon Zero Dawn, followed by Super Mario Odyssey, then Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, after which MK8 Deluxe was crowned game of the year. Not of breath of Zelda, as if we were living in a dimension where it was never released and where it just didn’t exist. :pac:

Holy crap the map is twice as big as I thought it was, theres like an entire half continent more to the West of Hyrule Castle that I didnt even realise could be opened up with towers, Im going to be playing this for months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I'm so confused, i have no idea what exactly to do
    Which i blame on having never played Zelda :o

The only criticism Id offer is wheres the music? I heard a snatch of the Zelda theme when a musician was singing about what happened 10,000 years ago and it made me realise thats what was missing, Zelda games usually have amazing soundtracks, BotW has great sound FX but very little actual Zelda music, not even in the main menu...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I think the reasoning was that they couldn't write a theme that was both ridiculously long enough so the looping was unobtrusive while still being catchy enough and recognisably zelda-y at all times. Sometimes you miss it, but at 150 hours when the ambient sounds start to grate, you realise it was a good call!

Advertisement