Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

You forget sometimes just how damn good looking this game can be...
    437194.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Thargor wrote: »
    The only criticism Id offer is wheres the music? I heard a snatch of the Zelda theme when a musician was singing about what happened 10,000 years ago and it made me realise thats what was missing, Zelda games usually have amazing soundtracks, BotW has great sound FX but very little actual Zelda music, not even in the main menu...

It is a bit more subdued. It was a deliberate design choice. Hyrule as a kingdom is largely in ruins. Old leitmotifs are still there, but they're faint whispers in a world largely devoid of them. There's still some lovely tracks in there. When you're climbing towers you may notice one. An accordion NPC has a lovely tune. Some of the boss fights, the final "dungeon" is pretty epic.

Epona's Theme
    Zelda's Lullaby
    Temple of Time
    Lost Woods
    Song of Storms
    to name but a few are there in a rendition of some form or other.

The music, like the world itself, I guess, is out there waiting to be discovered. Also as you lift the veil of despair over various locations the mood and music in the places will become more upbeat.

My absolute favourite being:
    Rito kids song. When you complete this quest they all whistle the main village when they're awake and as adorable as the shrine quest with them was, this singing, er whistling, is even more adorable.They go from anxious and concerned kids to happy melodies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

You forget sometimes just how damn good looking this game can be...
    437194.jpg

The sunsets are spectacular. I can't show them here, but i took a couple of screenshots around that palm tree cove the other day, and they are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

FINALLY found the use for Korok seeds, was looking for it everywhere for days now refusing to use guides and there it was on a random path in some empty mountains that I only went to because I saw a shooting star land in them from miles away and was hunting for it, they did not make that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

FINALLY found the use for Korok seeds, was looking for it everywhere for days now refusing to use guides and there it was on a random path in some empty mountains that I only went to because I saw a shooting star land in them from miles away and was hunting for it, they did not make that easy.

Do you mean:
    Hestu? If so, he's found first along the road from Duelling Peaks to Kakariko Village,
    which is one of the first main quest lines once you leave the Great Plateau... Then he can be found again in a couple of locations, near plot points, before his final location beside one of the areas everyone will want to go to... Not exactly hidden away!

Unless you took a different route to the one above, he'd be hard to miss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Huh? You practically have to come across Hestu if you follow the very basic first few parts of the story.

I know you don’t have to do that story and could go straight to Ganon but .....

Anyway, he does move on a bit, eventually heading “home”. Without spoiling it, you should try to eventually follow him home

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's pretty trivial to get to Kakariko without passing Hestu tbf.

Yeah why would you HAVE to use one specific road? Especially since the game doesn't tell you what direction to jump off the plateau once you get the paraglider and you cant take 10 steps without something on the horizon that has to be investigated. I literally did the
    Korok Forest
    before I happened to find that spot and I only found it after climbing a few peaks looking for a shooting star.

I went 50 possibly 80 hours before finding that korok npc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Turtwig wrote:
    I went 50 possibly 80 hours before finding that korok npc.

Wait, there's a korok npc?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

sweetie wrote: »
    Wait, there's a korok npc?!?

His name is Hestu. Google him if you want to know more. Don't want to post anything which may be deemed a spoiler.

I dont know how Im going to go back to work, the last 10 days of Christmas holidays have just been get up, have breakfast, play Zelda, have lunch, play Zelda, have dinner, play Zelda, go to bed, repeat. I still only have one divine beast done aswell and dont even have all the towers activated yet.

I dont know how Im going to go back to work, the last 10 days of Christmas holidays have just been get up, have breakfast, play Zelda, have lunch, play Zelda, have dinner, play Zelda, go to bed, repeat. I still only have one divine beast done aswell and dont even have all the towers activated yet.

Are you allowed toilet breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Turtwig wrote:
    Are you allowed toilet breaks?

Thankfully the switch facilitates 'calls of the wild' without requiring a break in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I’m only getting started in this, just met impa. I did come across that korok thing but have no idea what to do with him so will worry about it later.

I’m dying a lot, largely due to my own stupidity when I blow myself up with a bomb or run out of stamina swimming. Enjoying it so far. Hasn’t quite gripped me just yet but I think my biggest complaint is it takes me too long to get places. Have come across horses out in the fields but couldn’t figure out how to get on one. Presume that will happen once I reach a certain shrine. Not too keen on touching guides in case they spoil the game for me so I’ll keep going for another while in hopes the horses thing opens up to me.

The best thing about Breath of the Wild is that this is how good Zeldas will have to be from now on, every new Zelda release going forward is going to be historic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

What's the big luminous green Dragon floating in the waterfall in the wetlands to the south of the map. There's two hidden shrines in the area. Can't seem to interact with it anyway.

This game is amazing, every time you play it multiple mind blowing stuff happens. 60 hours in only 1 divine beast cleared. Can't stay focused long enough to progress the main story. Feel like progressing it would be to miss out on loads of cool stuff. Best gsme ive ever played i think by a fair distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Really enjoying this. There's a weight to Link that I like. The way he moves, jumps, climbs, sneaks.

The durability design I'm still not sure about. I like that it forces you to keep on your feet, think about everything though.

I have a tendency to press the joystick buttons down during fights causing me to sneak/zoom at the worst times. Still need to get a hang of fighting particularity the dodge/flurry stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Daith wrote: »
    Really enjoying this. There's a weight to Link that I like. The way he moves, jumps, climbs, sneaks.

or

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I’m only getting started in this, just met impa. I did come across that korok thing but have no idea what to do with him so will worry about it later.

I’m dying a lot, largely due to my own stupidity when I blow myself up with a bomb or run out of stamina swimming. Enjoying it so far. Hasn’t quite gripped me just yet but I think my biggest complaint is it takes me too long to get places. Have come across horses out in the fields but couldn’t figure out how to get on one. Presume that will happen once I reach a certain shrine. Not too keen on touching guides in case they spoil the game for me so I’ll keep going for another while in hopes the horses thing opens up to me.

Oh good i thought i was the only dying all the time :pac:

• Advertisement

The desert is a strange place, really great atmosphere to it, Im getting Shadow of the Colossus vibes.

Having to juggle heat at night and cold during the day is a struggle, I knew I was saving these great Frost and Flame blades for something...

Upgrading your inventory slots is such a relief.

EDIT: Btw did anyone figure out what you do with the sand seals, its hilarious, theres so many genius touches like that in this game...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

I'm enjoying zelda so far but I can't seem to build up a stock pile of arrows.
    Apparently the shops/stables stop stocking them when you have over a certain amount so what do the rest of ye do to stock up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Gyan84 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying zelda so far but I can't seem to build up a stock pile of arrows.
    Apparently the shops/stables stop stocking them when you have over a certain amount so what do the rest of ye do to stock up ?

If you've gotten as far as the Divine Beast Vah Ruta (Water Elephant) then
    once the enemies have respawned at the blood moon, you can back track from the Zora city killing all the Lizalfos (ideally with headshots and surprise attacks) you passed earlier. You can easily rack up over 70-80 normal arrows that way.

Oh cool thanks.

I've done 3 divine beasts and had to fast travel away from the boss in
    Van Naboris
    because he was insta killing me to the point where I felt under prepared.

I wanted the arrows for rupee grinding but I just reached
    eventide island
    so it'll probably be a while before I can grind again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you use a
    Wooden Shield, arrows fired by bokoblins will stick to it, put it away to pick up 3-4 arrows at a time. Not great but handy in a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Gyan84 wrote: »
    I've done 3 divine beasts and had to fast travel away from the boss in
    Van Naboris
    because he was insta killing me to the point where I felt under prepared.
    Parrying helps there a lot. You'll have to fight that boss again under worse circumstances if you get the DLC. Weapons and shields that you don't drop when electrocuted might help too (Forest Dwellers Sword, Master Sword, Shield of the Minds Eye etc) but really, dodging and parrying are your main ways of avoiding that annoying fast attack he has.

I found that he and the Vah Ruta boss seem to have less health than the others so walloping away with big weapons when you get the chance works a charm. Also, cooking for extra hearts is great.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Parrying helps there a lot. You'll have to fight that boss again under worse circumstances if you get the DLC. Weapons and shields that you don't drop when electrocuted might help too (Forest Dwellers Sword, Master Sword, Shield of the Minds Eye etc) but really, dodging and parrying are your main ways of avoiding that annoying fast attack he has.

I found that he and the Vah Ruta boss seem to have less health than the others so walloping away with big weapons when you get the chance works a charm. Also, cooking for extra hearts is great.
    I didn't find the first stage that bad, it was just trying to use magnesis to hit him with one of his spikes was so fiddly that it gave him more than enough opportunities to hit me

Just finished it.

I read in a Nintendo mag years ago there's a word in Japanese for pressing the roll button in the other 3d games in the belief the you would traverse the landscape more quickly.

Is there a word for the odd regret you feel when you defeat Ganon, and just, dammit, want to go back and wander round Hyrule? Get the last few shrines and that? Get the last cucco for yer man? That sort of thing?

This is an absolute first.

Have to spend time on Mario Oddessy now.

I've never, ever looked at a main Mario game before and, frankly, slouched into my seat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Just got the Master Sword today. Currently, I have 14 hearts and 2 of the Divine Beasts have been freed.

Advertisement