Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How do the motion controls work in BOTW? Is it similar to Odyssey where you lose some functionality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

No extra abilities are gained using motion controls unlike with Odyssey, although it can help with archery.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No extra abilities are gained using motion controls unlike with Odyssey, although it can help with archery.

Ah I just got the Pro Controller and was going to use that for Zelda rather than split Joy Cons for Odyssey.

Breath of the Wild's got to be in my top 5 Zeldas. Zelda 1's freedom without all the dated elements. Although there is one thing that disappoints, and that is the soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Breath of the Wild's got to be in my top 5 Zeldas.
    Ah come on its easily the best Zelda ever made by a country mile, its probably the best game ever made, top 5 Zeldas?

• Advertisement

Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds would also make my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Just started playing for the first time. I met the old man who asked me to go to the tower to look for treasure and in exchange he would give me his glider.

As I was running across I was messing with the buttons and accidentally threw my axe into the water. I can see it on the bottom but I can’t seem to swim down to get it? Is it gone?

Also, should I be going into this place at the very start of the game?

shuffles03 wrote: »

I think you're on the right track, going to the tower to look for treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,369 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Just started playing for the first time. I met the old man who asked me to go to the tower to look for treasure and in exchange he would give me his glider.

As I was running across I was messing with the buttons and accidentally threw my axe into the water. I can see it on the bottom but I can’t seem to swim down to get it? Is it gone?

Use magnesis to fish it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I’ll find this later on? Magnesis that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I’ll find this later on? Magnesis that is.

Yeah, its part of the quest the old man was yammering on about.

Y'know, while I kinda felt it when playing it at launch (and was mentioned a lot in the media after launch), it only really hammered home the past few days how this game has, effectively, ruined me for playing other open-world games from now on!

Bought Horizon: Zero Dawn and after about 10 hours I just gave up as it frustrates me how restrictive it is, how I cant climb any cliff or wall I want and have to search for the elusive yellow painted ledge, or wandering the map is kinda dull, just pressing triangle at icons to gather items rather than a physical object in the world. Ive no feeling of wanderlust, no urge to wander East just to see whats there (as the map has been filled in with greyed outlines of whats everywhere...for this person who has never ventured outside the Embrace before...but knows the lay of the land and what is around every corner!).

I knew BoTW was great and got lost in Hyrule for dozens of hours...but didnt appreciate how much of the "Ubisoft open-world" rulebook they ripped up....and for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

BOTW's greatest achievement for me was making every other open world game feel more of a grind than an adventure since. I'd wager if you showed any of us here a segment of the BOTW map screen odds are incredibly high that not only can we visualise parts of the location, we have vivid memories of some experience or other that occurred there. I can't think of a single game since Vice City that I played where I remember so much from the game world. Considering how much smaller Vice City is compared to this that is an incredible achievement. The most brilliant thing of all is 100+ hours in I've still got areas left to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yeah, I must be at 120 hours, since I got that dlc that shows me where I've been, even right now I'm exploring places I haven't been. It's staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Kind of amazed that after 10 months of regular enough play I'm still finding out new things.

Never knew you could do more than 4 poses in pictures but seems there's quite a few with button combos and depending on what you're holding.

Skip to 1:25 for everything other than the obvious 4 with the Left Stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Jumped back in to this last night after about a month or more away from it. I've now defeated 3 divine beasts and just unlocked the last part of the map after 80 hours of play.
    For people who got the dlc, how many attempts did it take you to complete the Trial of the Sword? I feel it could take me awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Yeah, I must be at 120 hours, since I got that dlc that shows me where I've been, even right now I'm exploring places I haven't been. It's staggering.

Or "185 hours or more" according to my profile page yoke.

Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

40 hours in and I've barely a third of the map opened up... Been just exploring the far eastern part of the map so far.
    And this is from some who had recently grown to seriously dislike open-world games. Found them such a chore to get through. But this game just gets better and better and better.
    It's a constant "Alright, now I'm gonna go find another tower and get some more map unlocked... Hmm, I haven't seen that hill before. Bet there's something there." And there usually is.
    I have noticed though since I completed the second Divine Beast on Death Mountain a lot of enemies seem to have gotten tougher. My bombs do feck all on them.

17 hearts and counting. All Divine Beasts freed. Map fully unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

17 hearts and counting. All Divine Beasts freed. Map fully unlocked.

Time to take on the big guy so.

Time to take on the big guy so.

I'm at him right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Right, unpopular opinion maybe but I gotta say, MCZ... excellent boss fight, reasonable ending but just five disappointing minutes later and I'm done.
    Just... why?:confused:

I'd nearly go as far as saying it felt like the antithesis to everything the game was about for me.

These days we're living in increasingly fast paced times, where everything and everyone is 'on demand', quicker than before, more efficient and for that reason apparently 'better'.
    We are being constantly being bombarded with non-stop, intrusive and loud stimuli on a daily basis from rise to rest.

I'd always considered this game as at least in part a response to this, a turning away, and offering a reprieve from the organised chaos of the modern world.
    From the subtlety of the soundtrack that in large part blends almost seamlessly with the game's detailed natural, ambient sound design. To the suggestion that more often than not the right path is to work with nature, and to utilise the strength and power of the natural environment and its elements to overcome the challenges and puzzles that we face.
    This opposed to the ever common approach of trying to battle against, and trying to strongarm and steamroll every problem we encounter.

It's a truly expansive and immersive experience that rewards that slowing down, that attention to detail and the players willingness to not always impose themselves upon it, but to take their time to be mindful, to observe and to learn from the environment.

So then... to go and shoehorn in this clunky, heavy, obnoxiously loud monotonous-droning lawnmower engined yoke of a thing, programmed with a control system that seems to be so lazily designed that it almost disregards the games impressive physics engine.(seriously, NO FLIPS?!?!!) while also doing an excellent job of rendering the Hero's Path feature utterly pointless too. Why?

Obviously, I get that story wise Link too needs his ancient vehicle, but I'd like to imagine that they could have come up with something a bit more in tune with the feel of the game than this. Something a bit more inventive at least. Maybe something bringing together elements of the four other champions. Failing that, I probably would have went with some sort of ancient glider, or light plane myself. Basically, anything not so bloody obtrusive.

I was pretty surprised to see that Aonuma himself talks about his wish to include it in the game, but I honestly have my suspicions that NOA may have guided his hand. Only the discovery of an on board homing missile system could leave me feeling any more convinced.

I gauge from the reaction online that a lot of people seem to love the thing, and obviously i get that it's a bonus and little to complain about, a minor hiccup, but in truth I suppose behind the frustration of this rant is a feeling of disappointment that others don't feel similarly, and that the game was already perfect as was.

TL;DR: At the end of a long, beautiful, lazy, memorable summers' day in the park, some genius thinks it'd be a great idea to come in and start doing doughnuts on a scrambler bike.

I've beaten this game yesterday. I found the ending to be lacklustre, however.

Today, I just went back to get a few more bits that I've missed, such as the
    Hylian Shield

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

TL;DR: At the end of a long, beautiful, lazy, memorable summers' day in the park, some genius thinks it'd be a great idea to come in and start doing doughnuts on a scrambler bike.

Isn't it obvious?

It needed the jetpack from Pilotwings 64.

Not too fast, to render Hyrule too small and the sky too low, as a plane might.

Maneuverable enough to bring you too nooks and crannies, plus fueling it would bring challenge, plus think of all the missions you could develop for it!

Pilotwings Switch: Hyrule Edition, coming to you in 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Bought Horizon: Zero Dawn and after about 10 hours I just gave up as it frustrates me how restrictive it is,

I'm glad it wasn't just me! I put about 10 hours into Horizon and it does nothing for me after playing Zelda. The combat it good and people seemed to like the story but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Isn't it obvious?

It needed the jetpack from Pilotwings 64.

Not too fast, to render Hyrule too small and the sky too low, as a plane might.

Maneuverable enough to bring you too nooks and crannies, plus fueling it would bring challenge, plus think of all the missions you could develop for it!

Pilotwings Switch: Hyrule Edition, coming to you in 2019!

Nooooo, because then you'd need somewhere high to land, and next thing you know, we're back in the City in the Sky, having the Ooccoo return to haunt our dreams further! And I've had enough of that, thank you very much!!!

*twitch*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

Would Zelda be to hard for an 8 year old? He got Mario Odyssey & Mario kart with it and now wants to get a new game has money saved. My mate told me zelda be to hard for him.

Any advise? Games been €60 Id like him to get a good one..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

benny79 wrote: »
    Would Zelda be to hard for an 8 year old? He got Mario Odyssey & Mario kart with it and now wants to get a new game has money saved. My mate told me zelda be to hard for him.

I reckon Zelda would be difficult for an 8 year old. I think Splatoon 2, Rayman legends and Minecraft would be a better fit for an 8 to 10 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Sorry if this is off topic, but my 7 & 8 year old love Splatoon 2. They have Odyssey, Fifa 18 etc but Splatoon 2 is their favourite. It is quite fast moving, it's an online player game, they get to join other teams, take part in changing challenges,

I can't wait till they start playing games like Zelda but I think it's a bit 'old' for them yet. I think they would probably love to play it though!
    benny79 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Some eight year olds would suprise you nowadays. Definitely better than 8 year old me tumbling my way through Die Hard Trilogy anyway!

I would echo the thoughts above though and give it a couple of years. The survival elements and combat would frustrate I'd say.

Rayman is fantastic regardless of age but would be perfect for an 8 year old. A 2D platformer so a bit different to what he has already. A lot cheaper than Zelda too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

My 7 year old is playing away no bother.

Advertisement