Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was off work sick yesterday so decided to shelve Mario and start up BOTW.

Spent two hours playing and unlocked four magic powers. A bomb, a magnet, freeze and stop time. I also got a paraglider off an old guy.

I came across a big stone guy, must be a boss but I couldn't damage him so I ran away.

Should I stay in the first area or move on now? I'm a little lost as what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Delta1138

Hey,
    Never had a Nintendo machine in the house but I love the look and voice acting of this game. Is it worth buying a switch for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I was off work sick yesterday so decided to shelve Mario and start up BOTW.

Spent two hours playing and unlocked four magic powers. A bomb, a magnet, freeze and stop time. I also got a paraglider off an old guy.

I came across a big stone guy, must be a boss but I couldn't damage him so I ran away.

Should I stay in the first area or move on now? I'm a little lost as what to do.
    If you fought a Stone Talus you've already left the starting area, that was the big plateau which you needed to jump off with the paraglider. Just go explore, do shrines, do all the quests in the villages, the things you need to know will be explained to you, plus you'll see them in the horizon :D

Delta1138 wrote: »
    Hey,
    Never had a Nintendo machine in the house but I love the look and voice acting of this game. Is it worth buying a switch for ?
    The Wii U version is identical in every way if you want a cheaper option.

Id never recommend buying a system just for one game but if I was going to it would be Breath of the Wild, its one of the best games ever made, Id say only Witcher 3 comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Delta1138 wrote: »
    Hey,

Worth every damn penny.

That's my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Thargor wrote: »
    If you fought a Stone Talus you've already left the starting area, that was the big plateau which you needed to jump off with the paraglider. Just go explore, do shrines, do all the quests in the villages, the things you need to know will be explained to you, plus you'll see them in the horizon :D

There's a stone talus on the great plateau. There's a clearing in the woods and he's in there. Say if you come out of your starting cave and go left, he's over there somewhere.

I think once u get the glider, you're good to leave. Have a bit of an auld exploration though and pick up and item of clothing or two. Maybe play around with your magnetic power and see if u can find anything. More for practice than finding anything of value.

Thargor wrote: »

No I found him in a forest in the first area.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    There's a stone talus on the great plateau. There's a clearing in the woods and he's in there. Say if you come out of your starting cave and go left, he's over there somewhere.

I think once u get the glider, you're good to leave. Have a bit of an auld exploration though and pick up and item of clothing or two. Maybe play around with your magnetic power and see if u can find anything. More for practice than finding anything of value.

I got four chests in the Shrines with "Wanderers" gear in it (or was it Travelers). Cleared out a few enemy camps and found a few chest there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I got four chests in the Shrines with "Wanderers" gear in it (or was it Travelers). Cleared out a few enemy camps and found a few chest there as well.

I've never got any "Wanderer's" gear, so it must be "Traveler's".

I've never got any "Wanderer's" gear, so it must be "Traveler's".

I think it is. I don't have the Switch with me to check though :(

• Advertisement

The_B_Man wrote: »

Ah right never knew that, the first one I ever saw was at Duelling Peaks, scared the living sh1t out of me!

Ok I've finally left the first area and was heading towards Kakariko Village but got lost and ended up climbing the Lake Tower.

Just past that I fought a load of Bokoblin and a floaty fire wizard guys. All the enemies took ages to kill and if I got hit once I was toast.

Am I right in thinking I shouldn't be over here so early in the game?

I think you're right, considering the time taken to kill the enemies.

I think you're right, considering the time taken to kill the enemies.

Yea I've left the area. Did manage to get a Dragon one Moblin Club with 45 under it though so wasn't time wasted.

That's what matters most, getting a useful weapon.

That's what matters most, getting a useful weapon.

I think I was just hit by lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

any word on danmaku unlimited 3?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think I was just hit by lighting

Unequip any metallic melee weapons, bows and shields that display lightning in the weapon select slider, while under a thunderstorm :).

Unequip any metallic melee weapons, bows and shields that display lightning in the weapon select slider, while under a thunderstorm :).

I eventually figured it out after it happened for the fourth time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I just realised, I've been playing this game since (before) launch and I've yet to even get into the castle!! I've haven't gone much more north of the Sacred Ground Ruins. Well I would have gone north of the castle (Death Mountain, the forest etc) but in terms of the castle grounds, I haven't touched them. That's almost a year of playing, which equates to over 150 hours over 2 consoles (Wii U + Switch), which is a lot for me.

• Advertisement

I have logged 230+ hours with 27 hearts, 2 stamina wheels, 96 shrines and 117 Korok seeds, so far in Normal Mode.
    The aforementioned time I have played includes both Normal Mode and Master Mode, the latter of which I still have to free my first Divine Beast.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Playing xenoblade atm but when I'm done with that I'll be getting stuck into this for first time.

After so many hours of playing BotW non-stop, I have finally burned out on constantly playing it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

After so many hours of playing BotW non-stop, I have finally burned out on constantly playing it.

How many hours did you put in for that to happen?

Around 220-230.

I may play it in a few bursts from time to time, but my intense playtime with it is done for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I don't think I ever went back to BOTW once other games started to appear. As a long time fan of the series it just didn't feel Zelda like to me.

It's a fantastic open world game, but I guess I miss the formulaic dungeon progression, quirky npc conversation, a sword that doesn't break (or shoot laser blades :p) but mort importantly the hookshot!

Bring back the old dungeons, but keep the open world and the sense of adventure. That's what I want in the next big Zelda game.

This is my first Zelda and I'm loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Inviere

Finished the game a few days ago. In its own right, the game is a complete masterpiece; incredible scale, scope beyond belief, brilliant narrative, fantastic soundtrack, beautiful looking, controls like a dream, it literally ticks all of the boxes.

As a Zelda game though, while still thoroughly brilliant and outstanding, it did have some flaws. While I enjoyed the Shrines, they were a very poor substitute for the very individual dungeons we've come to know and love from a main series Zelda game. I thought BotW truly shined when tackling the Divine Beasts. Those moments were too sparse though. Many of the sidequests too, seemed utterly irrelevant merely giving rupee rewards upon completion (though I must admit, I'm not at all a fan of sidequests that don't tie in to the main narrative anyway). The final battle (Ganon's final form) had the potential to be epic, but was beyond easy. There are other niggles, like the lack of variation in monsters etc, but they're minor in comparison.

That said, it got so much right too. The world itself is incredible. The true sense of completing the game as you want to, gives enormous freedom and a real sense of being the master of your own destiny in it. Once I got to tackling the Divine Beasts, as I said above, the game truly shone. I feel a hybrid of the open world dynamic of BotW, combined with a more traditional Dungeon filled game, would have potentially made the perfect Zelda game.

I still think I prefer the linear approach to Zelda, but can see them moving away from that; how could they possibly go back to it after this game?! Whatever happens, they've created a masterpiece here, and I've no doubt, the next one will be even better.

• Advertisement

I seem to prefer the traditional dungeons. I wasn't exactly blown away by the bosses. And yes, combining the open-world nature of BotW with some of the elements of traditional Zelda would be a match made in heaven.

Advertisement