Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Turned on the switch there and went into the news feed, where I'd subscribed to a few channels. One such feed is the BotW one.

Clicked into it, as it mentioned a recipe for increasing stamina. At the end of the article there's a link to oprn the game directly. If you ione the game via this link, it also gives you a couple of honeycombs.

Didn't know they could do that. Might have to keep a closer eye on that news feed, in case they ever give away something good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Got the Switch just before Christmas which came with Super Mario Odyssey and then got Zelda and Mario Kart as presents. Decided to finish Mario first before starting what is my very first Zelda game but the 4th Zelda game my wife has played :D

My brother got us Zelda as a gift thinking I'd be the one playing it mostly but my wife is addicted to it! She's not much of a gamer so she'd die quite often but she remembers all these areas in the game from previous Zeldas and can vaguely recall where a lot of those album pictures are, which I haven't gone near yet and don't intend to (although she insisted I have to do them to get through the game :pac: )

Anyway, I can see why it won game of the year last year. Absolutely superb game with so much to do and see. I wouldn't have played Witcher, Skyrim or much other open world games with the exception of GTA so I can't really compare but I'm thoroughly enjoying my first Zelda.

Kind of annoying how quickly your weapons break and that you can't repair them!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm looking for a little help as I'm a bit lost to be honest.

I've gone to a village and got my Camera upgrade on my slate. I've also arsed around a bit and completed a few shrines including one on top of a mountain I'd to use a snowball to get into and one at the end of a giant maze near the same mountain.

I've upgraded all my runes and have 4 hearts and an extra stamina segment.

I've tried going north but Guardians keep murdering me, I've tried south but I got one shot by Bokoblins on horseback and going up the mountains behind the workshop I just freeze.

Any pointers where I should go?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just wander and explore, do every shrine you see or sense and get the treasure chests in them, some good weapons and gear in those plus increased stamina/hearts from the orbs, Bokoblins on horseback arent any barrier really, just throw a bomb at them.

Freezing:
    Go back to the starting plateau and find the old mans hut to the West, theres a warm tunic in a treasure chest there or else a small quest to get it, that will keep you warm for mountain exploration. Torches and flameblades will keep you warm aswell

Thargor wrote: »
    Just wander and explore, do every shrine you see or sense and get the treasure chests in them, some good weapons and gear in those plus increased stamina/hearts from the orbs, Bokoblins on horseback arent any barrier really, just throw a bomb at them.

Freezing:
    Go back to the starting plateau and find the old mans hut to the West, theres a warm tunic in a treasure chest there or else a small quest to get it, that will keep you warm for mountain exploration. Torches and flameblades will keep you warm aswell

I have the warm doublet and used cold resist food but I was still taking damage.

Don't have a flame sword though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Flame sword/wand only works while it's on your back - draw it and it gets chilly!
    Typically the armours that overcome environmental restrictions are linked to the villages near the Divine beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

TitianGerm wrote: »

I've gone to a village and got my Camera upgrade on my slate. I've also arsed around a bit and completed a few shrines including one on top of a mountain I'd to use a snowball to get into and one at the end of a giant maze near the same mountain.

I've tried going north but Guardians keep murdering me, I've tried south but I got one shot by Bokoblins on horseback and going up the mountains behind the workshop I just freeze.

I was the same, I think that's the best thing about the game, the freedom to go anywhere. Do some sidequests, you should have a few by now and some shrines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Most of the Guardians are located in the centre of the map, around
    the castle.
    You should be able to skirt around them safely. At some stage you'll want to learn to deflect their beams but you can hold off on that for now if you want.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Most of the Guardians are located in the centre of the map, around
    the castle.
    You should be able to skirt around them safely. At some stage you'll want to learn to deflect their beams but you can hold off on that for now if you want.

I deflected one yesterday in a shrine but that was only a small one.

I found some water guys last night (Zora?) so I'm trying to find their leader at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Keep going that way, it does seem to be the one they guide you towards first. Once done there, you'll have loads more on your list of things to do. Always keep a look out for local settlements though, because as Banjo said, they usually are a way to obtain items that help you with the local environments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Turned on the switch there and went into the news feed, where I'd subscribed to a few channels. One such feed is the BotW one.

Clicked into it, as it mentioned a recipe for increasing stamina. At the end of the article there's a link to open the game directly. If you open the game via this link, it also gives you a couple of honeycombs.

Didn't know they could do that. Might have to keep a closer eye on that news feed, in case they ever give away something good!

Another one there today for a boomerang. Seems this has been a regular thing and I've just missed it!!

Just killed my first Lynel ever. Fecker was tough as nails but got him on my fifth try. Fecking Zora sending me up a mountain to get shock arrows :pac:

Just killed my first Lynel ever. Fecker was tough as nails but got him on my fifth try. Fecking Zora sending me up a mountain to get shock arrows :pac:

Oh

You fought *that* Lynel?

Well that's one way to do it, I suppose... ;)

You're suposed to sneak around and grab all the ones sticking out of the trees and the grass... :D

Thargor wrote: »
    You're suposed to sneak around and grab all the ones sticking out of the trees and the grass... :D

No one told me that :pac: he's dead now though :pac:

If I got hit I was left with half a heart so it was very nervy. My tatic involved running around a rock in a circle, having him chase me then I froze him with Stasis and whacked him a few times. Ended up using half my weapons on him and five or six meals.

Went back to the Zora town and found someone who wanted a picture of the Lynel. Oops :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Don't worry, he'll be brought back to the life when the blood moon rises again :D

Just at my first Divine Beast now. Called it a night when I got on board Vah Ruta.

Killed the boss on Vah Ruta first go. I lucked out and used a stasis on an ice block he threw at me and flew it back at him to deal loads of damage. I meant to pop his block with my ice rune but mixed them up by mistake :pac:

Killed the boss on Vah Ruta first go. I lucked out and used a stasis on an ice block he threw at me and flew it back at him to deal loads of damage. I meant to pop his block with my ice rune but mixed them up by mistake :pac:

I'm just behind you, entered zoras domain earlier.

Sight808 wrote: »
    I'm just behind you, entered zoras domain earlier.

How many hearts and stamina wheels do you have now?

• Advertisement

I only have 4 and added a tiny segment to my stam wheel. I've done 3 Shrines so will probably get another heart. Wouldn't mind some better armor.

I only have 4 and added a tiny segment to my stam wheel. I've done 3 Shrines so will probably get another heart. Wouldn't mind some better armor.

I must have explored a lot more than you so. I'd 6 hearts and three extra stamina segments.

I must have explored a lot more than you so. I'd 6 hearts and three extra stamina segments.

I get bored wandering around aimlessly, mainly as I don't have time for just exploring so try and crack on, if I need more health/stamina I'll look for some shrines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I must be the only person terrible at Zelda :(
    Everytime i feel im making progress and figuring stuff out, i die

• Registered Users Posts: 5 byproduct

irishman86 wrote: »
    I must be the only person terrible at Zelda :(
    Everytime i feel im making progress and figuring stuff out, i die

I wouldn't worry, that is my constant experience :)

I get bored wandering around aimlessly, mainly as I don't have time for just exploring so try and crack on, if I need more health/stamina I'll look for some shrines.

Did you read a single review of this game before you bought it? You may be in for a fairly rude awakening when you finish it in 8 hours and wonder why most people have put around 25 times that into it. That's like saying "I just bought Bayonetta 2, I do not enjoy games that focus on nonsensical dialog, gratuitous crotch shots of much-revered greek songstresses and kick-ass high-speed twitch-reaction nudey-witch combat. Hope this is fun!"

Banjo wrote: »
    Did you read a single review of this game before you bought it? You may be in for a fairly rude awakening when you finish it in 8 hours and wonder why most people have put around 25 times that into it. That's like saying "I just bought Bayonetta 2, I do not enjoy games that focus on nonsensical dialog, gratuitous crotch shots of much-revered greek songstresses and kick-ass high-speed twitch-reaction nudey-witch combat. Hope this is fun!"

I'm familiar with how open world games work :D but I think you mistook what I typed. I don't mind exploring, but with a goal in mind. Say to find more shrines or to follow a quest beacon. I've limited time for games so just wandering around for the sake of it doesn't really do much for me.

Your paragraph on Bayonetta is lost on me as I've never played that series.

Activate a tower, zoom in on that map segment, drop a pin on anything that looks interesting, go investigate.

I'm familiar with how open world games work :D but I think you mistook what I typed. I don't mind exploring, but with a goal in mind. Say to find more shrines or to follow a quest beacon. I've limited time for games so just wandering around for the sake of it doesn't really do much for me.

Your paragraph on Bayonetta is lost on me as I've never played that series.

No, I understood what you said. The joy of this game is in the details you only discover through wandering, not quite aimlessly but more in an "oh, what's that?" way than "mission : start!" way. Ignoring your beacons and just looking around. So you may miss out. Promise you'll take some time out from questing to just be a hyrulian :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

There are 120 shrines, just make sure you have the Sheikh Scanner/Sensor set to detect shrines and head off into some hills the beeping will lead the way.
    I did an "Assassins Creed" on it too and just tried to unlock as many towers as I could at the beginning and found shrines while doing that

Advertisement