Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Some of the towers require a lot of stamina, i found stamina and climbing gear to be the most helpful in the game, ive completed it about 10 times, 120 shrines, 2 shines in the new DC, and master mode i nearly through the switch through the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

safetyboy wrote: »
    Some of the towers require a lot of stamina, i found stamina and climbing gear to be the most helpful in the game, ive completed it about 10 times, 120 shrines, 2 shines in the new DC, and master mode i nearly through the switch through the wall.

I climbed a tower surrounded by Guardians the other day. It was painful dodging their blasts. Ended up finding a small part I could climb where none of them could see me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Sight808 wrote: »
    I'm familiar with how open world games work :D but I think you mistook what I typed. I don't mind exploring, but with a goal in mind. Say to find more shrines or to follow a quest beacon. I've limited time for games so just wandering around for the sake of it doesn't really do much for me.

Your paragraph on Bayonetta is lost on me as I've never played that series.

I find the same as I get older and have less spare time. I've started taking the approach of just looking up some things online. The hard part is deciding how much to look up before it starts ruining the fun. For BotW I looked up where to find the climbing gear, the last 6-12 shrines and a few other thing. I still did a lot of exploring through. It's the kind of game that you gives you a "I'll just climb this hill to see what's ahead" feeling. Your mileage may vary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,370 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

1st year anniversary celebratory art.
    DXUvxpyU0AAOquu.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/ZeldaOfficialJP/status/969733874702983168

Probably the GOAT. I still find it hard to believe something topped Super Metroid. I'd kind of given up on the thought that I'd ever see the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Can't believe it's a year. I took a few days off work to play it and, later in the year, went on two fairly nice holidays... but I can safely say that my week in Hyrule was the highlight of my year.

The memories of the places and people in the game are so fresh in my memory that I am genuinely surprised it's a year old.

Probably GOAT for me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

GOAT. No question about it. Still haven't beaten this game. The day i do will be a sad one coz the journey will be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I love this game but Jesus, the rain is so bloody tedious. The other night I was at a shrine blocked off by thorns. No prob, says I, I'll just burn 'em. I started a fire nearby, grabbed my torch and poof, down comes the rain. I marked the location on the map and left but when I returned later, more rain!
    Last night I was heading for a tower surrounded by an enemy camp. I had to climb some of the camp towers to glide onto the tower structure so I spent a while clearing the camp of baddies. Just when I was done and about to climb the tallest tower to begin my glide, rain. Three feckin cycles of it too, mind! I had to find shelter to light a fire so I could rest until the rain had passed.
    I wouldn't mind the occasional bit of rain but it seems to rain every third or fourth weather cycle in Hyrule! I thought Ireland was bad. Rain is the toughest enemy in the game.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I love this game but Jesus, the rain is so bloody tedious. The other night I was at a shrine blocked off by thorns. No prob, says I, I'll just burn 'em. I started a fire nearby, grabbed my torch and poof, down comes the rain. I marked the location on the map and left but when I returned later, more rain!
    Last night I was heading for a tower surrounded by an enemy camp. I had to climb some of the camp towers to glide onto the tower structure so I spent a while clearing the camp of baddies. Just when I was done and about to climb the tallest tower to begin my glide, rain. Three feckin cycles of it too, mind! I had to find shelter to light a fire so I could rest until the rain had passed.
    I wouldn't mind the occasional bit of rain but it seems to rain every third or fourth weather cycle in Hyrule! I thought Ireland was bad. Rain is the toughest enemy in the game.

I think I did that shrine but I flew down from the mountain and landed on the roof. I never even thought to burn the thorns :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

^ I did the same. Wife used cryonis and just hopped over them, she figured that's probably why it was in water in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mr Bloat wrote: »

Could be worse, you could have got bloodmooned on Eventide island like me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The castle is no joke, Im burning through my weapons waiting for the master sword to recharge, I suppose I could just stop and read my phone while I wait for it to recharge...

Really glad I did the sword trials and champions ballad now aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I did the DLC quests after tackling Hyrule Castle.

Yeah its not too bad once you get past the 2 gateposts, pretty easy actually, forgot Id never actually fired an ancient arrow outside of the sword trials so I had a nice little stock of them built up for if it ever gets too tough, Verbosas Fury can shut down a turret long enough to kill it aswell. Just got the shield, I look pretty badass now in maxed out ancient armour with the sword and shield.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I must dip back in and play the DLC, I haven't taken a trip to Hyrule in about 8 months now, I'll pack a suitcase and book the flights this morning!

Finished, got the full ending. What a ride, greatest game of all time or at least tied with Witcher 3 easily. Just pure pleasure from start to finish especially in the looks department, the vistas and travel through them were just so well done.

Feel a bit lost now, Ive been playing it since before Christmas. God knows what the next Zelda is going to be like, it will be tough to top Breath of the Wild anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,370 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Thargor wrote: »
    Feel a bit lost now, Ive been playing it since before Christmas. God knows what the next Zelda is going to be like, it will be tough to top Breath of the Wild anyway.

Join the club. Nintendo should set up a support group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Thargor wrote: »
    Finished, got the full ending. What a ride, greatest game of all time or at least tied with Witcher 3 easily. Just pure pleasure from start to finish especially in the looks department, the vistas and travel through them were just so well done.

I cracked open Wind Waker again recently to get my fix. I had it on the GameCube but not sure I ever finished it. Really enjoying it. You can see how a lot of things evolved to where they are in BoW.

Just after hitting 60 hours and made it to Northern Mine up in the Volcano. I really do spend a lot of time fecking about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Finished it yesterday, all shrines done and most side quests (that I could find) and all the main quests. Not sure how many hours I pumped into it but I'm guessing at least 100.

I'm quite gutted it's over, haven't really had this sinking feeling since I finished The Witcher 3, knowing that it'll be a long time before I can experience a game like this again, or a game this good again.

A true masterpiece, 10/10.

I started Xenoblade 2 yesterday which just seems a bit... crap in comparison, I feel like I'll struggle to get into it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Cina wrote: »
    Finished it yesterday, all shrines done and most side quests (that I could find) and all the main quests. Not sure how many hours I pumped into it but I'm guessing at least 100.

I'm quite gutted it's over, haven't really had this sinking feeling since I finished The Witcher 3, knowing that it'll be a long time before I can experience a game like this again, or a game this good again.

A true masterpiece, 10/10.

I started Xenoblade 2 yesterday which just seems a bit... crap in comparison, I feel like I'll struggle to get into it for a while.

I want to like Xenoblade, I love the look of it, but only a chapter or two in and I definitely feel the ratio of gameplay to cutscenes is way too far in favour of cutscenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

chrislad wrote: »
    I want to like Xenoblade, I love the look of it, but only a chapter or two in and I definitely feel the ratio of gameplay to cutscenes is way too far in favour of cutscenes.
    that doesn't really bother me too much. It's standard JRPG really, that you're basically in a tutorial for 10+ hours and the game takes ages to really kick off.

I think I spent about a month struggling to do the first 10-15 hours of Persona 5 and persevered, knowing it'd be great, and did the next 100 hours in probably less time than that.

This.. I just don't get the feeling it'll be great, but I'll stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Reading over the last couple of pages and I feel like a pariah. I recently 'finished' the game with around 70 hours put in and I thought it was good but not great.

The longer I played the more things like the lack of enemy variety, the timer for the master sword and the copy and paste nature of some of the content like the combat trials got to me more.

Also the rain, don't get me started on the rain. I really wish they included a side quest where you could unlock an ocarina even if you could just use it to clear skies, change time and call your horse.

Out of all the zelda games I've played (ocarina of time,majora's mask,wind waker and twilight princess) it'd be my least favourite and it wouldn't make my top 5 games of 2017 although that's probably due to an insane amount of great games being released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I enjoyed the game, but it's not without its flaws. Enemy variety and redundance are some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I thought the weather was one of the best aspects of the game. The need to have back up plans, improvisation and know when you ultimately must retreat along with being able to adapt to the opportunistic advantages it may present.

Turtwig wrote: »
    I thought the weather was one of the best aspects of the game. The need to have back up plans, improvisation and know when you ultimately must retreat along with being able to adapt to the opportunistic advantages it may present.

The amount of times I'm half way up a mountain and it starts bucketing down is huge. It's a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Turtwig wrote: »

I thought the rain was used well when it was raining intentially e.g. the trial of thunder shrine quest but the amount of times I was climbing up a mountain only to have to find a corner to hide in and start a campfire and hope it was dry when link woke up drove me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The amount of times I'm half way up a mountain and it starts bucketing down is huge. It's a pain.

Know the feeling.

It's still possible to climb in rain. You just to have to pick your path to match the least rainfall runoff. Often on the slopes water will favour one gradient over another. Stick to the driest. You'll also need a bit more stamina than usual.

Try to see also the benefits of rain. There are quite a few. Including tactical ones. It's not all black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Hi. I don't have a Switch but have a question regarding scanning Amiibos with BOTW.

Can Amiibos be scanned by the Switch for BOTW while in their box? I've a few Zelda themed Amiibo and my Colleague's Kid popes in the office on occasion. He just chills and plays his Switch so if box scanning is possible, I would bring some in for him to scan but if not, they'll stay at home nice and sealed.

Hi. I don't have a Switch but have a question regarding scanning Amiibos with BOTW.

Can Amiibos be scanned by the Switch for BOTW while in their box? I've a few Zelda themed Amiibo and my Colleague's Kid popes in the office on occasion. He just chills and plays his Switch so if box scanning is possible, I would bring some in for him to scan but if not, they'll stay at home nice and sealed.

I think some of the Amiibo have foil under them in the box that stops them scanning but someone else might know better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There are helpful Youtubers out there who have discovered a method of pulling the silver foil out from under the Amiibo, but it still requires a small slit to be made in the packaging.

Advertisement