Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venice, Trieste and Lake Bled

Options
  • 14-06-2016 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Looking for some advice/suggestions for a week long trip to the Venice, Trieste, Lake Bled area - we are planning to do 3/4 days in Lake Bled, 1/2 days in Trieste and 1/2 days in Venice.

So any help on the following -
    1) nice hotels to stay in
    2) nice places to eat
    3) would you recommend staying longer/shorter in any of the three places
    4) Anything that is "not to be missed"
    5) Anything near any of the three areas that is worth visiting - we'll have a car so can travel a bit

Thanks in advance,

Tara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is very little in the way of nightlife in the town of Bled. There's lots of nice bars and restaurants, the lake is worth a visit and you should rent a boat and row out to the island, especially if there's a wedding on but they get an older class of tourist so it kinda gets dead at night. I would definitely spend two at least two nights in Venice so that you have one whole day there without the stress of packing/unpacking, checking in and out etc. The Slovenian capital Ljubljana is a nice, compact city and worth a visit if you have a car, lots of nice bars and restaurants.

The accommodation in Venice will probably be the most expensive on your trip, unless you can get somewhere close by (but not in) the city which someone here might be able to recommend. I've never been to Trieste.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

hotels in Venice are very expensive, I suggest you to find an Airbnb in Marghera and travel to Venice by train. Marghera is very close.
    The Castello Miramare in Trieste is very beautiful, the city is very elegant and if you want to eat real food from Trieste you have to go to Pepi Sciavo o Siora Rosa.
    Since you have a car you shouldn't miss Postojna cave, they are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

I wouldn't stay so long in lake Bled unless you have something in particular planned. We loved around Kranska Gora and Triglau. Great hiking in the mountains there if you fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I stayed in Hotel American Denisen in Venice, twas grand. It's about 125 per night though in summer.
    Its not american at all.
    It's near the Accademia bridge over the grand canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Weather across parts of Europe is very hit and miss at the moment. Lots of sudden torrential downpours and flash flooding so be sure to take a rain jacket and umbrella. I was in Venice for a few days last week. One of the days was extremely wet so make sure to have a backup plan of activities to do if you are there on a wet day. 'Getting lost' in Venice on a fine day=good. 'Getting lost' on a wet day=not so good.

If you will have a car then it is probably better to find accommodation outside Venice. As someone said try the Marghera/Mestre areas or mini-Desh as I call it. Lots of Bangladeshis living there but seems a very popular area to stay for tourists aswell even those without a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭brownetara

Thanks, we've booked into Camping Fusina, have a two person gite, ferry to Venice, looks fine. Its only for two nights so should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Get yourself up early on the morning you're in Venice - in all probability a cruise ship or two will dump a few thousand visitors in the mid morning plus you'll have the day trippers from outside the city (you included) and the place will be bedlam by midday and for most of the afternoon. And expect to get royally screwed if you sit down for a coffee at an outdoor table in St. Mark's Square.

Advertisement