Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Query on Pricing

• 14-06-2016 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Just looking to pick the brains of people more knowledgeable than me. Had my Honda Civic (saloon) 2006 in for its first service since I bought her. I've attached NCT, bill for service and the quote at the bottom for the extra work needing to be done.

I'm just a bit overwhelmed at the amount of stuff needed and want to check the costs. Obviously I want the car to be safe and last me but at the same time I just didn't expect a bill this month of well north of 1k when I get tyres as well (I don't do ditchfinders)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Forgot attachments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Your NCT result photo is incomplette.

Sorry second half of pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think the prices are outrageous, Honda parts aren't cheap.
    There seems to be a lot of things neglected on the car, it probably got its last nct 2 years ago.

205/55r16 tyres would be much cheaper than the 215 tyres that are often on the saloons.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don't think the prices are outrageous, Honda parts aren't cheap.
    There seems to be a lot of things neglected on the car, it probably got its last nct 2 years ago.

Nope that NCT is from January-passed it with flying colours (I did it) and this car has been serviced annually in a Honda garage with all work done since it was bought (it was my parents car)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Front shock. There was no obvious issue at nct time although anything could have happened since.
    200 sounds crazy too but I've never had or worked on a honda so im no expert there.

So, is this just work just being recommended by your mechanic?
    Maybe get a second opinion. The likes of advance do free checks sometimes in the hope they can fleece you. Just see if they highlight the same issues.

The condition of the car can deteriorate over a few months, and the nct don't always pick up on everything, they may pass something that's borderline.

If it needs doing, it needs doing though.

Did you notice any knocks or clunks?

130 for a shock is right anyway, mine went last week. Surprised they just want to do one shock.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So, is this just work just being recommended by your mechanic?
    Maybe get a second opinion.

The condition of the car can deteriorate over a few months, and the nct don't always pick up on everything, they may pass something that's borderline.

Did you notice any knocks or clunks?

Yeah it's all being recommended by my mechanic. I'm on the other side of the country so it's no the Honda dealer she was bought from. No knocks or clunks just an intermittent squeak when turning right started last week.

I could maybe drop it in to the original dealer for a second opinion as I'll be down the country later this week

Wouldn't be any harm, just get an idea what they think needs doing.

Advertisement