Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group F, Portugal v Iceland, 8PM RTE 2 and BBC 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What a couple of results today.

This tournament hasn't taken off in some ways (has a single player scored twice yet?) but it's extremely interesting.

After the first round of matches, I think it's been very good. Some pretty decent matches and a contender if not goal of the tournament with payet. If it only gets better from here then I can't wait

We also have hendricks for winner of the crossbar challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Fair play to Iceland.
    Very very noisy fans.
    And their jersey looks the coolest I've seen so far,with the vertical stripe on the left hand side. Very Mod.[/QUOTE]

Class jerseys alright,especially like the goalies..
    Some extremely good looking girls amongst their fans also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Portugal have one superstar and a lot of very middling players. Like most teams in this tournamen it appears, which is strange!

Fair play to Iceland.
    Very very noisy fans.
    And their jersey looks the coolest I've seen so far,with the vertical stripe on the left hand side. Very Mod.

Argentina won a World Cup with that type of Setup.

Ronaldo is no Maradona, when it comes to being a leader, and he is not the type of player who can dig deep and drag this Portuguese team to greater heights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Argentina won a World Cup with that type of Setup.

Ronaldo is no Maradona, when it comes to being a leader, and he is not the type of player who can dig deep and drag this Portuguese team to greater heights.

Maradona in his prime wouldn't lead Portugal now to a World Cup win to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Getting them to the Euro 2004 final doesn't count? The epic 2014 World Cup play-off with Sweden?

I think there's a lot of OTT stuff being said about Portugal on this thread. Credit to Iceland for digging deep and taking the chance when it came, but the reality is Portugal were all over them tonight. And once Ronaldo settles into the tournament with a goal, they will be there or thereabouts imo.

I also don't believe the Portuguese team have 'middling players'. Moutinho, Quaresma, Nani, Sanches, are not what I'd consider average players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just watching the highlights of this here, can Pepe ever just go away, the man is a disgrace to the game. Also fair play to Iceland, never liked portugal, too many primadonas and divers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

I do actually. Which is why Ronaldo tends to be non existent when he doesn't score. Did he touch the ball in the Champions League final until his peno?

Yes he did touch the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Just watching the highlights of this here, can Pepe ever just go away, the man is a disgrace to the game. Also fair play to Iceland, never liked portugal, too many primadonas and divers.
    He pepes on the edge. Nothing wrong with that in fairness.

Why the hate for Pepe, plenty worse out there. I love my Pepe Real jersey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

He's some egomaniac. Wouldn't shake the Icelanders hands' after the whistle went either, too busy sarcastically smiling at the ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Strider wrote: »

Well...when you no-show when your country needs you.....

Ronaldo was also seen kicking newborn babies in the face after the final whistle.

First it was not celebrating his team mates goals, (which he conveniently did tonight because he knew the camera was onto him), then not shaking the hands of opposition players. And now this quote taunting Iceland which was pulled from his consciousness by expert Fifa mind readers

He needs to be stopped, I'd put him up there with hitler to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Ronaldo was also seen kicking newborn babies in the face after the final whistle.

First it was not celebrating his team mates goals, (which he conveniently did tonight because he knew the camera was onto him), then not shaking the hands of opposition players. And now this quote taunting Iceland which was pulled from his consciousness by expert Fifa mind readers

People here would be quicker to defend Hitler (and on boards atm he has something of a fan base)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Despite the draw I thought Portugal played very well, have some really exciting players in midfield who look extremely comfortable on the ball. Quaresma needs to start against Austria, he added a bit of spark when he came on.

Ronaldo was unlucky not to score but he adds very little to the general build up play. Basically he's a goal poacher now with serious stats to back it up :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Everything about Ronaldo is so annoying, his try hard looks, his try hard gestures, his try hard lame declarations that a small country like Iceland has a small time mentality. Just a cringey guy, too bad he does happen to be quite good at the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I like Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Someone should grow a pair and tell him to piss off from free kicks. He's atrocious at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

And now this quote taunting Iceland which was pulled from his consciousness by expert Fifa mind readers

mansize wrote: »
    People here would be quicker to defend Hitler
    Ronaldo wrote:
    I thought they'd won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end, it was unbelievable. When they don't try to play and just defend, defend, defend this, in my opinion, shows a small mentality and they are not going to do anything in the competition. We just try our best, keep the ball all the time and Iceland didn't try anything, they were just 'defend, defend, defend' and were playing on the counter attack.

In fairness the quote shows an extreme lack of humility and class. Not exactly known for that though I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'd defend Ronaldo at times but his words and actions here are totally out oforder. How dare the Icelanders use "tactics"? It's just to deflect from his poor performance. They had chances and they blew them

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

hahaha. Hope we get to see him cry before this tournament is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it's an ultra competitive attitude that comes out. He just doesn't like losing and he can't hide it.

Of course then there is the cocky all about me side when things are going well which is what makes him even more unlikeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Mec27 wrote: »
    Everything about Ronaldo is so annoying, his try hard looks, his try hard gestures, his try hard lame declarations that a small country like Iceland has a small time mentality. Just a cringey guy, too bad he does happen to be quite good at the game!

He's young, good looking, exceptionally wealthy, one of, if not the best players in the world and, if the rumours are true, is packing the sort of tackle normally seen swinging between the hind legs of a Grand National winner.

I find it very difficult to find anything about him I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I thought they'd won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end, it was unbelievable. When they don't try to play and just defend, defend, defend this, in my opinion, shows a small mentality and they are not going to do anything in the competition. We just try our best, keep the ball all the time and Iceland didn't try anything, they were just 'defend, defend, defend' and were playing on the counter attack.
    187825hp2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

For years, Real Madrid attempted a very similar mantra when playing against Barcelona of defend, defend, defend and playing on the counter attack and hvaing about 30-35% of the ball.

Is that a small club mentality or a tactic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Penaldo wrote:

This is a classic example as to why much of the world think Penaldo's a Class A d1ckh€@d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,602 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Good thing they didn't play Hungary then.

He's young, good looking, exceptionally wealthy, one of, if not the best players in the world and, if the rumours are true, is packing the sort of tackle normally seen swinging between the hind legs of a Grand National winner.

I find it very difficult to find anything about him I like.

He is ageing like ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Have to say I'm a big fan of Ronaldo, but you could see by his demeanour on the pitch last night that this is easy, smiling not taking the game seriously it's a horrible trait very unprofessional, commentator mentioning he is enjoying himself, he wasnt he was in a boastful superior mood being almost sarcastic on the pitch, it's only when it goes wrong it's a problem, teams do this all the time and scrape the win, not to peak too early but the quotes after are phenomenally bad. And he needs a reality check fast or Portugal have no chance of even getting out of this group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Have to say I'm a big fan of Ronaldo, but you could see by his demeanour on the pitch last night that this is easy, smiling not taking the game seriously it's a horrible trait very unprofessional, commentator mentioning he is enjoying himself, he wasnt he was in a boastful superior mood being almost sarcastic on the pitch, it's only when it goes wrong it's a problem, teams do this all the time and scrape the win, not to peak too early but the quotes after are phenomenally bad. And he needs a reality check fast or Portugal have no chance of even getting out of this group

I'd be inclined to agree, I've huge respect for what he's made of himself considering his beginnings, but his attitude after the match stank.

Good piece on the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/15/cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-iceland-small-mentality

• Advertisement

what a mong he is
    The Icelandic players responded with due scorn: “He’s just a sore loser,” the defender Kari Arnason said. “He didn’t want to lose the game. What does he expect – for us to play like Barcelona against him? He fannies about and dives around.” And to add insult to injury, Arnason added: “We didn’t pay any extra attention to him.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ah they do have a chance like especially with the current format. Beat Hungary & 4 points could be enough.
    I imagine that the Lagerback quotes annoyed him but his quotes were childish. Pretty sure this was the first game Iceland ever had at a major tournament of course you should celebrate.

Ronaldo will always be pissed off because he knows he looks like **** without all the cosmetics. I can see him in the changing room gazing on at Miguel Veloso with envy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

He's a disgustingly vain and narcissistic individual, who now looks like some distorted waxwork.

I respect the work ethic, and his achievements, but he just shows himself to be childish and petulant again and again.

His "documentary" was just a total vanity piece, and showed him to be as empty as you'd guess. The only telling thing from the whole film, was that his mother told him that she had intended to abort him.

Lovely thing for a child to know growing up, and in some ways explains a lot about his determination and his conduct in general.

But I don't wish him well.

daRobot wrote: »
    He's a disgustingly vain and narcissistic individual, who now looks like some distorted waxwork.

I respect the work ethic, and his achievements, but he just shows himself to be childish and petulant again and again.

His "documentary" was just a total vanity piece, and showed him to be as empty as you'd guess. The only telling thing from the whole film, was that his mother told him that she had intended to abort him.

Lovely thing for a child to know growing up, and in some ways explains a lot about his determination and his conduct in general.

But I don't wish him well.

He's a complete weirdo tbh, he's like a Kim Kardashian of men sort. Vapid, superficial who just happens to be amazing at a sport we put great value on as a society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

He's a complete weirdo tbh, he's like a Kim Kardashian of men sort. Vapid, superficial who just happens to be good at a sport we put great value on as a society.

Yep, couldn't agree more. Even the way he's purposely raising his son without the child's mother having any contact whatsoever, is very Michael Jackson esque.

I personally think he's a very poor ambassador for the game, from a behavioral and role model aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

He's a complete weirdo tbh, he's like a Kim Kardashian of men sort. Vapid, superficial who just happens to be amazing at a sport we put great value on as a society.

Don't know about that now, he's put an incredible amount of effort and training in.

He is a genetic freak, he put effort in but he had the tools needed to be where he is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

tigger123 wrote: »
    Don't know about that now, he's put an incredible amount of effort and training in.

Yeah he may have a natural ability but he has worked extremely hard to become the player he is. He is very dedicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

An Icelandic webzine had some good tweets during the match last night, like this one after their keeper made a save:

"GOALIE LIKE THE CLIFF FACE AT DYRHÓLAEY THE ONLY THING THAT WILL DESTROY HIM IS CENTURIES OF COASTAL EROSION"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/15/iceland-portugal-reykjavik-grapevine-euro-2016-commentary

Ronaldo also remarked that in 2000 years Iceland will be lost to the ocean due to increasing effects of global warming.

The bástard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ronaldo's theatrics last night show that best player should not always equal captain! He hasn't got the personality to be a captain and to inspire his team mates on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Tasden wrote: »
    Yeah he may have a natural ability but he has worked extremely hard to become the player he is. He is very dedicated.

I personally know about 20 people who have worked far harder on their careers.

Being dedicated to being a professional footballer is no big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

gosplan wrote: »
    I personally know about 20 people who have worked far harder on their careers.

Even by boards.ie standards, this is one of the most subjective, unquantifiable debates I've ever heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I like Ronaldo. He is a petulant child on the pitch when things aren't going his way but you have to respect his work effort and ability. He comes across very poorly in the media but I'd take that over American sports stars thanking God after every game. I'd rather a bit of emotion than being completely fake.

• Advertisement

daRobot wrote: »

I personally think he's a very poor ambassador for the game, from a behavioral and role model aspect.

It's not his job or responsibility to be a role model though. He represents football through how he plays it, not how he talks about it and to that end he's one of the best ambassador's of the game around IMO.

I don't know the guy obviously but based on him not shaking hands and the comments he made I'm going to assume he's a bit of a dick. But it's irrelevant really, because nobody wants to watch the most decent person in the world play football badly, they'd rather the biggest dick in the world play football well

Ronaldo also remarked that in 2000 years Iceland will be lost to the ocean due to increasing effects of global warming.

The bástard

Yea, he strikes me as the sort with a keen awareness as to the long term implications of global warming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Even by boards.ie standards, this is one of the most subjective, unquantifiable debates I've ever heard

That's a very good point.

Its funny how sad people are, any chance to have a dig at a player and they jump like hyenas on it. Comments thrown around that have no fact at all, just purely wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Its funny how sad people are, any chance to have a dig at a player and they jump like hyenas on it. Comments thrown around that have no fact at all, just purely wrong

I assume you are talking about Ronaldo and the subsequent comments here. Personally I find him to be arrogant and lacking in any kind of humility. His comments about Iceland were very poor and his sneering at different stages of the game simply displayed a character that expected to win and ultimately could not deal with the fact that Portugal didn't win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement