Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group F, Portugal v Iceland, 8PM RTE 2 and BBC 1

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

'He's a haddock Bill'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Humanity? I think Ronaldo's humanitarian work is well known. No mention of tax avoidance either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Roy Keane made similar remarks re post match celebrations and they were widely cheered on boards. I don't agree with either btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I assume you are talking about Ronaldo and the subsequent comments here. Personally I find him to be arrogant and lacking in any kind of humility. His comments about Iceland were very poor and his sneering at different stages of the game simply displayed a character that expected to win and ultimately could not deal with the fact that Portugal didn't win.

What happens on the pitch and off it are different things, maybe have a read up what he does for society. I honestly couldnt care what he says about Iceland, but Im not targeting those posts. The ones who are questioning his talents are the ones who really are just idiots who havent a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

What happens on the pitch and off it are different things, maybe have a read up what he does for society. I honestly couldnt care what he says about Iceland, but Im not targeting those posts. The ones who are questioning his talents are the ones who really are just idiots who havent a clue

Yep, he's talented, no doubt about it. I'm well aware of what he does for society, but I found him distasteful in the after match commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Was classless what he did last night walking off the pitch, not shaking hands with the opposition, not acknowledging the Portugese fans. Call me old fashioned but, despite it being big business now I still like to think of it as a sport and shaking hands at the end of the game no matter the result or disappointment is part of it. He showed no respect and did act like a child.

His post match comments were nonsense as well. Complete and utter nonsense.

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Messi saved the Argies asses numerous times in the group stages at the WC

How about the final of the world cup where he didnt show up, my point is it wasnt just his fault and to blame Messi for it is nonsense same as to blame Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

How about the final of the world cup where he didnt show up, my point is it wasnt just his fault and to blame Messi for it is nonsense same as to blame Ronaldo

This Portuguese team is built around Ronaldo. That Argentina team was built to do nothing but defend, whose only offensive plan seemed to be getting the ball to an isolated Messi, who was man marked by about 3 players. In spite of this, Messi's performances for most of the tournament exceeded anything Ronaldo contributed against Iceland, or anything he will produce over the coming weeks. At least Messi tried to get on the ball and create. In contrast, even the Iceland lads said they didn't give Ronaldo any extra attention, and why would they? He'll do nothing unless given the ball on a plate 5 yards out from goal

This Portuguese team is built around Ronaldo.He'll do nothing unless given the ball on a plate 5 yards out from goal

You can't honestly believe that?

adox wrote: »
    You can't honestly believe that?

What do think he'll produce in this tournament exactly? Would you be confident he'll run the show for Portugal or put in any MOTM performances? Do you think he'll even score without a Real Madrid midfield putting the ball on a plate for him in front of cannon fodder defenses? What will he actually do? I'll tell you....absolutely nothing. He does not have the skill set, creativity, playmaking ability to run the show, nor will goals come so easily. He'll be anonymous

• Advertisement

What do think he'll produce in this tournament exactly? Would you be confident he'll run the show for Portugal or put in any MOTM performances? Do you think he'll even score without a Real Madrid midfield putting the ball on a plate for him in front of cannon fodder defenses? What will he actually do? I'll tell you....absolutely nothing. He does not have the skill set, creativity, playmaking ability to run the show, nor will goals come so easily. He'll be anonymous

If that's what you honestly think of him then there's no point in even trying to debate with you.

If that's what you honestly think of him then there's no point in even trying to debate with you.

Ah yes, avoid the point as you know he'll do nothing of note. It's simple, what do you think we can expect from a player who is lauded by some as one of the best players ever? You see, everyone always tells me I don't know what I'm talking about when comes to Ronaldo, yet when stats aren't relevant to the discussion no one actually addresses the points raised. Do you think he'll get motm in any game? Yes or no? If not, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Ronaldo's still such a a bad sport:

Ronaldo, making his 127th appearance for Portugal, said it had been a "lucky night" for his opponents and accused them of putting "the bus in the net".
    "Portugal try to play football and try to win the game," said the 31-year-old Real Madrid star. "Iceland didn't try anything."

"I thought they'd won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end," said Ronaldo, who appeared to refuse to shake hands with the Iceland players immediately after the game.

"We tried hard to win and Iceland didn't try anything. This, in my opinion, shows a small mentality and they are not going to do anything in the competition."
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36536445

Ah yes, avoid the point as you know he'll do nothing of note. It's simple, what do you think we can expect from a player who is lauded by some as one of the best players ever? You see, everyone always tells me I don't know what I'm talking about when comes to Ronaldo, yet when stats aren't relevant to the discussion no one actually addresses the points raised. Do you think he'll get motm in any game? Yes or no? If not, why?

You want me to defend one of the greatest players to ever play the game against your point that "he does nothing unless given th ball 5 yards in front of goal" ?

It's ridiculous and I won't waste my time. I was just astounded that you honestly held that opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Yup I mean he's only a triple balon dor winner as voted by his peers. You know the people who play the game at its highest level and whose opinion hold some weight.

Yup a total spoofer.

Yet people still can't give a prediction on how he'll do.

You want me to defend one of the greatest players to ever play the game against your point that "he does nothing unless given th ball 5 yards in front of goal" ?

It's ridiculous and I won't waste my time. I was just astounded that you honestly held that opinion.

You don't have to defend anything. Just answer the questions at the end. Surely you'll have time, seeing as you continue to waste your time replying everytime you say you won't. Can we expect one of the greatest players ever to even get within an asses roar of being the man of the match in just one game? If he's as good as you say he is, surely you'll be confident of him being motm in even one game, ye?

This Portuguese team is built around Ronaldo. That Argentina team was built to do nothing but defend, whose only offensive plan seemed to be getting the ball to an isolated Messi, who was man marked by about 3 players. In spite of this, Messi's performances for most of the tournament exceeded anything Ronaldo contributed against Iceland, or anything he will produce over the coming weeks. At least Messi tried to get on the ball and create. In contrast, even the Iceland lads said they didn't give Ronaldo any extra attention, and why would they? He'll do nothing unless given the ball on a plate 5 yards out from goal

Really you should ask a Argentine about how Messi played in that world cup, he wasnt even close to Di Maria for example. Your bias is shining

Its also funny, Messi insulting players in Copa America just being ignored, hmmm

• Advertisement

My bias? This has nothing to do with Messi, only people trying to shoehorn him in to deflect from Ronaldo, trying to make comparisons taken completely out of context. Still no one will stick out their neck and give a prediction on how Ronaldo will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Its also funny, Messi insulting players in Copa America just being ignored, hmmm

Copa America wouldn't have as much focus this neck of the woods when Euros are on.

My bias? This has nothing to do with Messi, only people trying to shoehorn him in to deflect from Ronaldo, trying to make comparisons taken completely out of context. Still no one will stick out their neck and give a prediction on how Ronaldo will do.

I mostly disagree with you but I admire your commitment to a cause.

Ronaldo will score at least 4 goals at this euros, there get back to me when Im wrong

Ronaldo will score at least 4 goals at this euros, there get back to me when Im wrong

I will get back to you when he fails miserably in that task

GreNoLi wrote: »
    I mostly disagree with you but I admire your commitment to a cause.

Would you miss me if Ronaldo actually started to play well for once in his career and I disappeared?

• Advertisement

Would you miss me if Ronaldo actually started to play well for once in his career and I disappeared?

I actually enjoy your posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

:pac::pac:

I will get back to you when he fails miserably in that task

And I will mock you when he does, then you will come back with hes only a goal scorer and continue to dig yourself a bigger hole

And I will mock you when he does, then you will come back with hes only a goal scorer and continue to dig yourself a bigger hole

Well he is only a goal scorer, and would have a fairly average goal to game ratio if he was with any other club. You're living in lala land if you think he'll do anything in this tournament

Well he is only a goal scorer, and would have a fairly average goal to game ratio if he was with any other club. You're living in lala land if you think he'll do anything in this tournament

Making excuses already, lol just sad

• Advertisement

Making excuses already, lol just sad

How am I making excuses if that's what I've said from day 1? I said he'd do nothing in the Champions League final and he'll do nothing in the euros. He does not have the necessary attributes to do so, unless goals are set up for him. The Portugal team is extremely average, and Ronaldo will not even come by any goals because of that. We'll leave it there I suppose and just wait and see. Just wish I knew you so we could put money on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Mec27 wrote: »
    He is ageing like ****

And that's after getting his botox topped up and makeup applied. :-D

Lads who took portugals corners in this game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Lads who took portugals corners in this game?

Guierrero and Quaresma took a few. Might have been others though

Guierrero and Quaresma took a few. Might have been others though

Mucho appreciated dude

Advertisement