Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you let your childs friends into the house?

Options
  • 14-06-2016 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭

We live in a small estate and my 8 year old has 3 friends in the estate that she plays with, she is allowed in to their houses but I have never let them in to mine as I know the minute I do they will be in and out all the time and I just don't want them in the house. They are starting to ask why they can't come in and i'm running out of excuses. I have one child so there are just three of us in the house and we like it quiet most of the time, my daughter has no problem with her friends not coming in but the questions are coming everyday now? what do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

So you've no problem with your daughter being in and out of her two friends houses but you don't want them to be in and out of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

If the other parents viewed the situation as you do, your daughter would be home alone with you 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭StanleyOllie

Its give and take with kids and their friends. If she is allowed into other houses they should be allowed into yours. You could limit it to certain times. I have 4... I love the house when its quiet but have to put up with the comings and goings. All part of the joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I'd probably acknowledge the fact that it is, generally speaking, a good thing to allow your daughters friends into your house. It allows your child to develop social skills. It also allows you, as a parent to get to know your child's friends, which in itself is quite important. It will also give you better insight into your childs development, interaction and social skills.
    I would suggest that you start letting them in for defined and limited times where it's easy for you to adjust to the change, and it's easy to encourage them to leave, for example, last hour before dinner or bedtime etc. You could also limit them to a specific location in for home, such as playroom or bedroom etc. You could even limit them to the garden in good weather to help you acclimatise. Ultimately I think is something you need to address because it's important that your child feels that it is their home too, not just yours. Being comfortable at home includes being able to have guests, this also applies to kids

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Bored_lad wrote: »
    So you've no problem with your daughter being in and out of her two friends houses but you don't want them to be in and out of yours?

I didn't want her going in to their houses as I don't know the families I only just found out she has been going in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

If the kids are asking why they can't come in, and have asked multiple times, you can be sure that their parents know by now and you're possibly getting a reputation as being a bit 'odd'.

And in my view you are being odd. Let the kids into the house, and accept that this is part of having a child. Either way, if you continue this rigid position of yours, it'll ultimately affect you or your child down the line - as this is the exact sort of thing kids might start teasing your daughter about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My lad is 6 and I only allow him into two neighbors houses as I don't know rest well enough to let him in for hours...same goes for letting kids into our house only children I know well will be allowed in...might seem odd but as a stay at home dad I don't feel comfortable having strange children running around house.
    Last place I lived a child fell in a neighbors house and his parents sued against his house insurance and got a nice few quid ...his house insurance rocketed,made me very wary of who I have hanging around...its shocking that's the way it's gone..and then you have the kids who won't go home and parents don't have a clue or care where there 5 year old is for hours on end...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wonzy

Can't understand your mindset. Stop been selfish and let them in the house for god sake. Threads like this make my mind boggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

If you don't want children in your house, don't have your own children. This is a normal part of parenting - having a house packed with kids having fun. From your child's perspective, they need to feel comfortable in their own home, and feel comfortable that they can bring their friends home.

And if you don't know the other parents, make it your business to get to know them. Pop over and say hello. Its always a good policy to know the parents of your children's friends.

Two things strike me though as well..

If your child is out and you weren't aware that she was in other people's houses - were you actually supervising her when she was out playing?

And also - do you have your own friends over to the house? Because if you have your friends over, I can't see why your daughter can't have her friends over.

casio4 wrote: »
    I didn't want her going in to their houses as I don't know the families I only just found out she has been going in

So your letting your eight year old daughter roam around unsupervised? Wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Poor kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Sorry to be so blunt but people like you really annoy me. Over the years when my daughter was growing up there was always one mother/father that didn't allow children in the house but were more than happy to let their children go into other houses.
    I,among the other parents thought it was a selfish thing to do, as it meant that we were always having the children in the house while ' your one was sitting pretty in hers, perhaps filing her nails?!'

You really need to realise that this is a part of parenting that never ends, take that from a mother of a 15 year old that's friends are always rolling in!

Lighten up, enjoy the sound of happy carefree children play in your home, and enjoy the quiet when your daughter is in bed, you never know you might find it refreshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So you didnt know where your 8 year old child was.

You also expect other parents to keep an eye on your child but won't return the deed. Why not just pay for a nanny ?

harr wrote: »
    My lad is 6 and I only allow him into two neighbors houses as I don't know rest well enough to let him in for hours...same goes for letting kids into our house only children I know well will be allowed in...might seem odd but as a stay at home dad I don't feel comfortable having strange children running around house.
    Last place I lived a child fell in a neighbors house and his parents sued against his house insurance and got a nice few quid ...his house insurance rocketed,made me very wary of who I have hanging around...its shocking that's the way it's gone..and then you have the kids who won't go home and parents don't have a clue or care where there 5 year old is for hours on end...

Its a bit different I think in your case as you are a man and right to be cautious about having children you don't know well in the house with you. Its terrible but that's the way society has gone now.

However its a chicken and egg situation. You will never get to know the children if you don't let them come to the house. Maybe have the parent call with them initially, especially if its another dad?

O.P, my parents were not very keen on having other children in the house. I grew up in an older neighborhood so there weren't many kids my age round the place, and I went to school quite a distance away so didn't have schoolfriends nearby.

Honestly I had a very lonely childhood and swung the opposite way when I had my 2 boys. Its like boytown here sometimes but I love it. They are both sociable and friendly and have loads of pals, whereas I was painfully shy and had very few friends growing.
    Yes, it van be work supervising and messy if its a rainy day and the kids are playing indoors for a long time. But I have a few ground rules for example always take off shoes at the door. And kids who have been coming here for years now ( as my kids now teens) automatically kick off the shoes as they come in.

More importantly as your child gets older you get to see what kind of kids she is hanging out with and that is so, so important. You also want her to have a house she feels that her friends are welcome in, as she gets older.

Please, please reconsider. It is a very small investment to make for a happy well adjusted child.
    Take it from one who knows

Will you buy them a tent in Winter to play outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brendane

Did you really think that by starting this thread you were going to get parents to give you tips and tricks and more excuses on how to keep your daughters friends out of your house.

Probably ok now, the kids are only 8 but when they are 10-14 they will cop on and just isolate your daughter. She will be the only one to suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

We live in a small estate and my 8 year old has 3 friends in the estate that she plays with, she is allowed in to their houses but I have never let them in to mine as I know the minute I do they will be in and out all the time and I just don't want them in the house. They are starting to ask why they can't come in and i'm running out of excuses. I have one child so there are just three of us in the house and we like it quiet most of the time, my daughter has no problem with her friends not coming in but the questions are coming everyday now? what do I do?

I know where you are coming from, I try to limit to min as possible other peoples
    children in my home. They take over the place and wreck the house on you. And I say that as a parent.
    the key is to just say no and dont even bother with giving a reason. I dont.
    We have enough to be doing raising our own children without raising our neighbours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Instead of it being a chore why not get involved with them in your house. Enjoy your child and her friends

I know where you are coming from, I try to limit to min as possible other peoples
    children in my home. They take over the place and wreck the house on you. And I say that as a parent.
    We have enough to be doing raising our own children without raising our neighbours too.

Only if you let them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Frogscotch

I think people are being a bit harsh - my kids play with their friends outside in summer. I don't let them go in other people's houses unless it's an arranged "play date" and the same for my own house. You don't have to give a reason. I'd want to know exactly where my child is though so I'd tell your child they must ask before going anywhere you can't see them.

• Advertisement

Its a bit different I think in your case as you are a man and right to be cautious about having children you don't know well in the house with you. Its terrible but that's the way society has gone now.

However its a chicken and egg situation. You will never get to know the children if you don't let them come to the house. Maybe have the parent call with them initially, especially if its another dad?

No problem with children I know or if I know the parents well but I am cautious about about children I don't know..to be honest there are some kids I wouldn't have near the house and I wouldn't let my lad into those houses..
    I just wouldn't feel comfortable with my child in a strangers house or someone I did not know well for any length of time..he knows to ask before he goes into anyone's house...might seem strange to some people and probably hard for my child to understand but that's my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭kirving

One day, be it sooner or later, your child won't be allowed into the friends houses. Guess who'll be sitting at home alone with no friends.

You should absolutely be making it your business to know each of her friends and their parents well, especially since they're your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

No wonder any sense of community has been eradicated in many corners of Ireland with attitudes like this prevalent.

One day, be it sooner or later, your child won't be allowed into the friends houses. Guess who'll be sitting at home alone with no friends.

You should absolutely be making it your business to know each of her friends and their parents well, especially since they're your neighbours.
    We are not talking about close friends here who I have no problem with being in the house..we are taking about having an open door policy for every child in the housing estate ...and it would be the same kids 7 or 8 times a day looking to come in...in my estate we have about 20 children of various ages and my lad might be good friends with 3 or 4 other boys and girls the rest he plays with outside...my neighbor has no problem letting all children in when ever and I have often seen 10 or 11 kids running around his house..children that would not even the same age as his child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭kirving

harr wrote: »
    We are not talking about close friends here who I have no problem with being in the house..we are taking about having an open door policy for every child in the housing estate ...and it would be the same kids 7 or 8 times a day looking to come in...in my estate we have about 20 children of various ages and my lad might be good friends with 3 or 4 other boys and girls the rest he plays with outside...my neighbor has no problem letting all children in when ever and I have often seen 10 or 11 kids running around his house..children that would not even the same age as his child.

That's fair enough, I should have directed to the OP who was describing a group of just four friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

No problem them coming into the house just establish a few ground rules of when they can and can't. But I think you are being slightly over the top in the least offensive way possible, this is the development of your daughter we are talking about too.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

DeadHand wrote: »
    No wonder any sense of community has been eradicated in many corners of Ireland with attitudes like this prevalent.

30 years ago we weren't allowed into the next door neighbours house. (We lived in rural Ireland where up to 5 miles away were still classed as "neighbours", so great sense of community there.) They were allowed into every/any other house though. As kids it never occurred to us that we had a "right" to go into their house. And we certainly never questioned their mam, as to why! They didn't grow up isolated, or excluded. I'm still friends with both of them. They are still friends with all the others that lived around too.

We just didn't go into their house.

Then again, 30 years ago there was an awful lot more of "get out and play" from most parents. So we never spent very long actually IN anyone's house.

It's your house, OP. If you don't want kids in, then it's nobody else's business. Kids tend to accept whatever they're told. It's other adults that start picking it apart and finding things to be bothered by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

DeadHand wrote: »

In the 70s 80s early 90s there was no sleepover codology and community spirit was never as good.

Maybe we need a return to the spirit those times where children played outside together and then went home.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

When I was a kid there was one girl on the road whose house we were never allowed in to. Weren't even allowed in the back garden. In later years she told us that she always felt really self conscious about it and sometimes worried we would stop being friends with her because we couldn't play in the house/garden. Her parents were really pernickety about keeping the house clean; she wasn't allowed to wear shoes inside! And that was also why we weren't allowed in.

I understand that you'd be afraid of kids wrecking your house, but honestly lay down some ground rules and stick to them and you should be fine. The houses on my road all had 2 sitting rooms, so one was the 'play room' and we could play in there with our friends whenever we wanted (all the toys etc were in there) but the rest of the house wasn't for playing in with friends. Also friends had to go home while we were having dinner. The rest of the group had similar rules for their houses. Most of the time we'd be in the back garden anyway.

I do think it's a bit much if your daughter is going in to other houses but you won't let other kids in yours. If you're not happy with your daughter going into other houses then tell her that she needs to come home when the friends go into a house. You'd run the risk of isolating her though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And I say that as a parent.

Those were the words of a homeowner, not a parent. One is obviously more important to you than the other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement