Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay By Weight waste company charges

Options
  • 14-06-2016 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭

Anyone have details of Greenstar's new waste charges under the pay by weight scheme?

Got a letter from Thorntons and their new prices will result in me paying 49% extra over next 12 months, compared to previous 12 months (based on me putting out the same volume of waste, which I probably will).

Greenstar collect in my area so investigating switching to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a note on their website that they'll be writing to all customers soon with details of charges under the new scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I shudder to think what'll happen to our yearly charge. I jump in our wheeley bin to get the fortnights rubbish in which paid off when it wasn't pay by weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

From another thread

Greenstar (Wicklow) fees supposedly going to be:

Service charge: €10 per month
    General waste: 35c
    Compost: 20c

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1760

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

vickers209 wrote: »
    From another thread

Greenstar (Wicklow) fees supposedly going to be:

Service charge: €10 per month
    General waste: 35c
    Compost: 20c

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1760

that was me, and I was wrong apparently. actual charges:

standing charge - €13 per month
    General waste: 25c
    Compost: 15c

which for me isn't too bad, even if I didn't compost anything it woud work out about the same as I'm currently paying. Anyone who puts the bin out very rarely, or has a kid in nappies may find themselves paying more.

What about recyclables?

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    What about recyclables?

Free I think - the other companies aren't charging for them.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Free I think - the other companies aren't charging for them.
    Ah OK, I thought I'd heard when the proposals were first mooted that they'd charge for recyclables too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Ah OK, I thought I'd heard when the proposals were first mooted that they'd charge for recyclables too.

That was the case but they changed it so that they are free.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    That was the case but they changed it so that they are free.
    Good to know.

I also see from their website that they now take type 5 (PP) plastic in the recycling bin, which they previously said they didn't. That makes up the bulk of what I currently throw in the grey bin, so good news.

Rather confusingly though they now also say that you can't put plastic "food trays" whatever they are exactly in the recycling bin. Surely if it's made from whatever plastics they claim to accept (types 1,2,4 and 5) it dosen't matter if it's tray shaped or bottle shaped?

I think the issue is contamination - I wouldn't put plastic trays that contained meat or (say) ready meals into the recycling, as they're virtually impossible to clean sufficiently.

• Advertisement

The reyclenow.com website, which is admittedly a UK based site, specifically lists meat trays and ready meal trays as being recyclable as long as they're cleaned. I'd imagine the processes by which such things are recycled would take care of any residual bacteria either by heating or chemical means, but I'm not certain.

The reyclenow.com website, which is admittedly a UK based site, specifically lists meat trays and ready meal trays as being recyclable as long as they're cleaned. I'd imagine the processes by which such things are recycled would take care of any residual bacteria either by heating or chemical means, but I'm not certain.

could contaminate other items in the bin possibly? Dry and clean seem to be the key elements in recycling, and some items aren't worth the effort (in terms of water and energy) of cleaning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Has anyone gotten the pay by weight charges from AES yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've merged threads together on different companies

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Can anyone with thorntons tell me if they can find out the previous weights of their bin? I'd like to get an average

foxy06 wrote: »
    Can anyone with thorntons tell me if they can find out the previous weights of their bin? I'd like to get an average

It should actually be on previous receipts or bills

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

ezra_ wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten the pay by weight charges from AES yet?

Have you looked at their site

https://www.aesirl.ie/home/price-plans/

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

Greenstar have their prices up here now
    https://www.greenstar.ie/remote/SignUp/step2

Where Greenstar previously introduced Pay by Weight (PBW), we have seen a reduction in black bin weights by approximately 40%. In Dublin, where we have a form of PBW, the average consumer has a black bin weight of 327kg; whereas in Cork, where we operated a flat fee, the average bin weight is 548kg. Therefore, please use the following weights when making your PBW bin charge calculations:

Black Bin: 330kg; Compost Bin: 125kg

So 330x.25 €82.50
    125x.15 €18.75
    13x12 €156.00

€257.25 Annually, if you go by those estimated weights. Currently paying €285 annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Have you looked at their site

https://www.aesirl.ie/home/price-plans/

They just updated it last night.

33c a kilo, 60quid standing charge every 6 months.

Based on what we've been putting in the bins over the last while, I think we'll only be slightly worse off (maybe 20 over the year)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Have any Arklow Waste Disposal customers received any information yet?

• Advertisement

Have any Arklow Waste Disposal customers received any information yet?

There facebook page says by close of business today

Arklow waste

13445236_10155229896338849_8981250680165407973_n.jpg?oh=1c3113743fd94df38ce776098dad916a&oe=57E256D1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

damn that is expensive....

We are looking at a €180 - €200 annual increase in costs.

F*ck you government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I compared my AES currently to the pay by weight and, while there is a price increase, it should only increase by about 20 euro.
    We are pretty good at recycling so I think that is what's saving us currently.
    Also, what's the story with the charges? AES have told me that we can stay on the plan that we are currently on for another year and we can move over to pay by weight at any time during that year if we want to. They said they would send a monthly comparison of costs too.
    Here's my own comparison over the past 16 months of rubbish collection (that's how long I've been with them);
    Actual Paid -> 300.48
    Standard PBW -> 353.50
    Basic PBW -> 318.90

Standard; €90 6 month service charge. €0.25 per kilo waste. €0.15 per kilo organic (we don't have organic).
    Basic; €60 6 month service charge. €0.35 per kilo waste. €0.20 per kilo organic.

EDIT: these are Wexford prices. I'm technically in Wexford. I see Wicklow prices are different.

wdHBS1B.png

Advertisement