Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OnePlus 3 available @ €399 + delivery

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭CFC007

I presume there will be customs charges on top of the €399?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

CFC007 wrote: »
    I presume there will be customs charges on top of the €399?
    Nope, shipped from inside EU

Bought a OPO and a OPX off them.. think they're shipped from Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

$399 is the "international" price, €399 should be the "all in" price for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

its good value for a phone, and no more invites needed, so there is that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Its worth noting that the predecessor was the same price and after a few months discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Hello , just wondering has anyone heard about 12 month old one plus twos having high latency issues with memory?

I was going to buy one and came across a revised review of the phone , basically the memory had slowed down a lot .

They seem to have put more memory into this , rather than revise issues.

I'd be persuaded to buy one , if I thought it would last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hello , just wondering has anyone heard about 12 month old one plus twos having high latency issues with memory?

I was going to buy one and came across a revised review of the phone , basically the memory had slowed down a lot .

They seem to have put more memory into this , rather than revise issues.

I'd be persuaded to buy one , if I thought it would last.

I've one since near launch and never had any memory, or other, issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Ordered, couldn't resist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would order if it had a decent battery. Had a phone 4 years ago with the same size battery.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Would order if it had a decent battery. Had a phone 4 years ago with the same size battery.

Yeah, that's stopping me ordering, have a one plus 2 and it has a bigger battery and it's not great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yeah, that's stopping me ordering, have a one plus 2 and it has a bigger battery and it's not great...

Hard to justify spending 400 + on a phone with a smaller battery.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What are OnePlus like generally speaking regarding updates to the latest Android versions? I have a Nexus 5 at the moment which I love, and which of course gets the latest updates as soon as they're out, but battery life is starting to deteriorate, and I'm thinking of replacing it. I may wait anyway until there are more concrete details of what the 2016 Nexus offerings are before deciding though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

@Alun, they have been slow(ish) to update to latest version of Android, this was largely due to moving from Cyanogenmod to their own OxygenOS.

They had a lot of teething issues with OxygenOS but latest reports and specifically with OP3 these have been ironed out and now they should be able to move quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Alun wrote: »
    What are OnePlus like generally speaking regarding updates to the latest Android versions? I have a Nexus 5 at the moment which I love, and which of course gets the latest updates as soon as they're out, but battery life is starting to deteriorate, and I'm thinking of replacing it. I may wait anyway until there are more concrete details of what the 2016 Nexus offerings are before deciding though.

OnePlus are running on OxygenOS, their own variant of android. Previously they used CyanogenMod but ran into issues with selling into the Indian market due to someone having the rights to Cyanogenmod in that market.

I think they haven't been too far behind the curve with updates (Marshmallow now if I recall correctly) although OxygenOS seems more brittle than CyanogenMod in my experience. In my case it was problems with the bluetooth stack connecting to the cars bluetooth kit, where previously cyanogenmod didn't have an issue.

A lot of factors affect battery life. Its a lot more complicated than that. The obvious ones being processor and screen tech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is it still only 1080p? That's disappointing. I thought it would be 1440P. Makes it way behind the pack for VR (though admittedly that is a niche interest)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hard to justify spending 400 + on a phone with a smaller battery.

It charges to 60% in 30 minutes though so very quick to top up if you need to.

Also running Marshmallow and that has improved the battery consumption over older iterations of Android so you very well might see it lasting longer on a charge.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Marshmallow didn't help my OP 2....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Sync

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my phone with about 2 or 3 months now... I currently have an LG G3 and it still works perfectly, so I realistically don't need a new phone... but I would like a better camera and the battery life isn't what it used to be (I do have a 2nd battery so that offsets, but it's too much effort most of the time for me).

How much of an upgrade would this phone be realistically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hurler97

Does OP3 come with a screen protector on the phone screen like they've done with past phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Larry_N

hurler97 wrote: »
    Does OP3 come with a screen protector on the phone screen like they've done with past phones?

Yep it does, heard a few reviews saying it does not fit right to the edge so can be a bit distracting on the screen but is easily removable.

Can't really justify upgrading my plus 2, 6GB RAM seems overkill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

Larry_N wrote: »
    Can't really justify upgrading my plus 2, 6GB RAM seems overkill.

Same here, doesn't really have enough to justify an upgrade from a Oneplus 2.

Was thinking I'd run for the 3 if it ticked 4 of my 4 boxes: higher screen resolution, larger battery, NFC, fast charging. Unfortunately, I was expecting too much :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

YanisK wrote: »

Was thinking I'd run for the 3 if it ticked 4 of my 4 boxes: higher screen resolution, larger battery, NFC, fast charging. Unfortunately, I was expecting too much :D

Find 9.....maybe next week?????

Is a higher screen resolution really necessary though? Like on a 5.5 inch screen do we really need a QHD display?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I had a find 7 till recently with a QHD screen. It looked nice but did it make any difference in usage, nah. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for next phone, in fact I think for find 9 they have gone back to hd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

got redmi note 3 pro after disappointing price and battery no. sd card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Still rocking my OPO after 2 years in August, can't see any reason to upgrade it as it's still a beast in my eyes. if it was to fall down the toilet tonight i'd buy a Oneplus 3 in a heart beat if it's anything like the quality of OPO

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is a higher screen resolution really necessary though? Like on a 5.5 inch screen do we really need a QHD display?

Not for every day use, no. But for VRs, QHD is a huge difference.

Every time I use the VR, feels like staring at an old CRT 32 inch TV from up close - pixels in my face :D

I had a find 7 till recently with a QHD screen. It looked nice but did it make any difference in usage, nah. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for next phone, in fact I think for find 9 they have gone back to hd

Find 9 is rumoured to be unveiled with a 4K display ;)

Not for every day use, no. But for VRs, QHD is a huge difference.

Every time I use the VR, feels like staring at an old CRT 32 inch TV from up close - pixels in my face :D

How often would you use it. I can't see it catching on for another few years.

Patww79 wrote: »

Completely disagree. I find the Gear VR incredible - it's actually better than the Oculus Rift DK2 in terms of image quality, field of view is not as wide but all in all it's impressive for mobile tech. VR cinema and the Netflix App are much more usable than they were on DK2 due to the 1440p screen.

If you want to use VR on your phone you really need a QHD screen for the best experience which is why I'm surprised to see the OP3 is sticking with HD when all of it's competitors are QHD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Tried googling it...

388983.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the only thing putting me off this is the lack of an sd card slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I see it is 158g. At least it is lighter than the brick that was the One Plus 2 which is/was 175g.

I dumped the OP2 and got a Xiaomi Mi 4c, great little phone.

It's a 1440p screen and the best clarity VR can offer at the moment - and is a marked improvement on the earlier Oculus Rift models and similar picture wise to the €800 Oculus Rift CV1/HTC Vive.

What are you comparing it to? Real Life? There are no better VR experiences available on the market in terms of clarity and we won't see better until a 4K model dedicated headset or a 4k phone is released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Quick question if anyone can answer it. Keen on getting the One plus 3 but they don't ship here to New Zealand yet. If I bought it off the Irish site, sent it to my parents house in Limerick and got my mother to post it over to me with Gift on the package, would I still be stung for customs?

She would have to use a courier. DHL etc. can't post a phone with a battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I'm an extremely happy Oneplus 2 owner.

I can't justify upgrading, but I must say the new phone is a really nice design.

I completely disagree regarding screen resolution. In fairness you acknowledged that VR is a niche area, a small number of users would appreciate a higher resolution, but every other user will benefit from the power-saving of a 1080p screen.

I have never found the Oneplus 2's 1080p screen to be an issue, and the Oneplus 3 has an AMOLED screen which should be even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

Because it's 399 and the competitors are north of 600 (the ones without other major sacrifices anyway).

I haven't taken my Gear VR out of its box since about a week after I got it in April. In this day and age of good screens it's far too grainy. Picture is terrible.[/quote]

Interested in selling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Tried googling it...

388983.PNG

Well it is their 4th phone. :pac:

Carl Pei's reasoning for not using a higher resolution screen is because they think people use the phone without VR for 95% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

what use is a 4k screen ??? how far away do you need to be from a 5" 4k screen to benifit from it & at this point are you so far away you cant see the bloody thing at all

http://orig11.deviantart.net/8036/f/2011/311/1/5/portal___caution_infinite_loop_by_caycowa-d4f8wxx.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Carl Pei's reasoning for not using a higher resolution screen is because they think people use the phone without VR for 95% of the time.
    I'd say it is much higher than that

I'd say it is much higher than that

Probably, I didn't even use my VR headset yet.

Notch000 wrote: »
    what use is a 4k screen ??? how far away do you need to be from a 5" 4k screen to benifit from it & at this point are you so far away you cant see the bloody thing at all

http://orig11.deviantart.net/8036/f/2011/311/1/5/portal___caution_infinite_loop_by_caycowa-d4f8wxx.png

For VR it makes a titanic difference, which is the reason people are talking about 4K. It's nothing to do with the phone being used as an actual phone. 1440P is good for VR and a big step forward from the two Oculus Rift Development Kit's but still not perfect, 4K is when it will really start to shine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement