Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OnePlus 3 available @ €399 + delivery

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Carl Pei's reasoning for not using a higher resolution screen is because they think people use the phone without VR for 95% of the time.

That's because the screen resolution of mobile phones, at the moment, for VR use = poop.

I have an S7 and the headset & it's not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Does anyone know if oneplus have an Irish VAT number, or has anyone tried reclaiming VAT on one of these phones before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Just got confirmation my order has shipped. Arriving Monday according to tracking number.

:D

Patww79 wrote: »
    Be interested to hear what it's like in real life.

I'm expecting big things coming from the 1+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Patww79 wrote: »

Comparing VR with standard 2D picture quality misses the point to be fair. It's about immersion.

I was blown away by DK1 and that was half the resolution of the Gear VR with an S6. Yes, it's grainy to a point. But it's a fantastic experience once you're using the right apps.

I find a lot of people use low res Youtube or similar videos to experience 180 or 360 video. Try watching a proper 5-6GB 360 video file and it's incredible.

The netflix app is an excellent example of what VR can do. 'Dreadhalls' the game is also a pretty good tech demo, scared the life out of me in a way that watching a movie or playing a regular PC game cannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Mine is here tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

It's a 1440p screen and the best clarity VR can offer at the moment - and is a marked improvement on the earlier Oculus Rift models and similar picture wise to the €800 Oculus Rift CV1/HTC Vive.

What are you comparing it to? Real Life? There are no better VR experiences available on the market in terms of clarity and we won't see better until a 4K model dedicated headset or a 4k phone is released.

Im going to have to disagree with you here. I have an LG G3 which has a 1440p display and a Bobo Z3 VR headset which is said to be the best of the Google Cardboard type headsets.

After trying out the Rift DK2 i was extremely dissapointed with the Mobile VR Experience. Sure, the display is sharper but its so far away from your eyes you don't feel any immersion whatsoever.

The DK2 on the other hand totally tricks you into feeling like you're there and you can actually feel fast motion.

Now I havent tried it with a Gear VR headset, but the experience has been underwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

god's toy wrote: »
    Mine is here tomorrow!

Ant hands on review

padair wrote: »
    Ant hands on review

Like my review? heres an overview of my feelings.

In short, after a week with this device, I love it!

Don't know what some are on when they moan about the pentile matrix of the Amoled screen as I think it's as good looking as any 1080p I've seen in the last few years and at 1080 your really not really going to be seeing the matrix anyway. We simply don't need 2k panel on a 5.5 inch screen anyway... no really you don't (unless VR is your thing) I have an LG G4 (2k screen) and really your not missing out in day to day stuff unless your a pixel peeper.

Battery is good as the 820cpu is more happy to sip power than guzzle than of last years 808 and 810 CPUs. Doze mode works well and I am happy with how well it lasts over night seeing a less than 8pc drop while sleeping for 10hrs.

-

I must note that I can't say I love the idea of rapid charging on any device but its very handy to 'juice up and run' out the door in less than 60 mins and anyway at least I know I could change that battery out if I needed to as the tear-down suggest it's handy to do. We just need 3rd parties to make em. Yes the battery is a little smaller than last year but IMO it's fine as it's a non issue from my testing.

Love the little things like, turning on the flash light/camera/mp3 player while the screen is off! and not forgetting that you can turn off the phone, (like power off/down fully) and you can set it to boot up and make the alarm goes off in the morning. Ah remember Nokia handsets use to do that? class. putting programs in under long press of buttons is handy.

the DAC (if your into your music) is frigging ace! it can drive my hard to drive 32ohm headphones better than any phone before it could and thats saying something as a lot of phones now skimp on a good high powered DACs. loving they kept in the equalizer now too so I can bump the mids and drop the bass to my liking.

As I'm on the 3 network, I had an issue when scanning for networks, (remember they don't really have a working 2g network to speak off so this causes problems for us.) EG, sometimes it failed to complete a network search and in the end I was jumping from Sim tray 1 to 2 then once or twice even formatting the phone just to get it to lock on to a network!...:eek: Was doing my head in but after a moan/post on the one-plus forums a nice mod got me talking to one of the programmers in OP and he gave me codes to enter to record all the modems ins and outs connection logs and got me to submit them so they can put fix in the next firmware release. He also pointed me to a way round the glitch and so far this has ended up working faster than any network search would have anyway so happy days for me! So yea one up for the support guys they are on the ball.

foot notes:

In the next update from OP we are getting sRGB modes to play with and this is most welcome if you want to tone down the super over saturation of AMOLED screen tends to give out.

Yes the 6GB ram management is fine some peeps but were moaning about the phones overly aggressive cutting back of running programs for better battery life... All good to hear they are also giving us better management control over its use.

It is my humble opinion that for the price this is the bargain of the year seeing what hardware your getting and 'on the ball' tech support jumping in to help me out... for 399 Euro's. its simply a no-briner! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

I'm guessing there's no VAT on these, which means, can't claim back... Sorry if that's already been discussed. I'm on my phone so can't use search feature.

If VAT were added, it would put it on par with a €492 phone, based solely on consumer price, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

jma wrote:
    I'm guessing there's no VAT on these, which means, can't claim back... Sorry if that's already been discussed. I'm on my phone so can't use search feature.

jma wrote:
    If VAT were added, it would put it on par with a €492 phone, based solely on consumer price, of course.

It's vat inclusive price as shipped within eu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

jma wrote:

jma wrote:

It's vat inclusive price as shipped within eu

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pay in sterling- get it delivered to Postpal (or one of their competitors- and save 35 quid straight off (they haven't updated the UK price yet)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Redlim

As I'm on the 3 network, I had an issue when scanning for networks, (remember they don't really have a working 2g network to speak off so this causes problems for us.) EG, sometimes it failed to complete a network search and in the end I was jumping from Sim tray 1 to 2 then once or twice even formatting the phone just to get it to lock on to a network!...:eek: Was doing my head in but after a moan/post on the one-plus forums a nice mod got me talking to one of the programmers in OP and he gave me codes to enter to record all the modems ins and outs connection logs and got me to submit them so they can put fix in the next firmware release. He also pointed me to a way round the glitch and so far this has ended up working faster than any network search would have anyway so happy days for me! So yea one up for the support guys they are on the ball.

Cheers for the review god's toy. Quite interested in the work around you mentioned above for the network search. Is this straight forward? I'm also with 3 and considering getting this phone.

Redlim wrote: »
    Cheers for the review god's toy. Quite interested in the work around you mentioned above for the network search. Is this straight forward? I'm also with 3 and considering getting this phone.

The solution was to use a app that starts the hunt for a certain type of connection instead of looking at 'all available connections' like you do when you do a full network search (as that's what was crashes the program) so my case I used an app called LTE Discovery on the Google Play store (link below) it allows me to search for HSPA only or LTE only networks as it will only find Three networks it locks on straight away no waiting for a full network search to complete,.. job done in 10 seconds.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery&hl=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Can someone post up pics of the screen vs some other models.

Really thinking of getting this phone, but the pentile amoled is turning me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Any reviews of the battery and screen.
    Thanks very much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Redlim

The solution was to use a app that starts the hunt for a certain type of connection instead of looking at 'all available connections' like you do when you do a full network search (as that's what was crashes the program) so my case I used an app called LTE Discovery on the Google Play store (link below) it allows me to search for HSPA only or LTE only networks as it will only find Three networks it locks on straight away no waiting for a full network search to complete,.. job done in 10 seconds.

Great stuff thank you. Handy for my current phone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Has anyone managed to buy from one+ using revolut as payment and delivered to parcel wizard/motel ect?
    I tried to purchase twice and it keeps declining, on a live chat at the moment but getting no where, being told to contact paypal despite telling them twice I paid by card....

It would work out at €370 paying by revolut at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Did anyone got for priority delivery and if so how long did it take?

Did anyone got for priority delivery and if so how long did it take?

I did, ordered on a Tuesday at 8pm had it by that Friday 3pm

Want to know know the screen looks compared to the 'best' out there?

http://www.slashgear.com/oneplus-3-review-part-ii-display-vs-iphone-6s-galaxy-s7-and-more-14444272/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭glenq

Hello , just wondering has anyone heard about 12 month old one plus twos having high latency issues with memory?

I was going to buy one and came across a revised review of the phone , basically the memory had slowed down a lot .

They seem to have put more memory into this , rather than revise issues.

I'd be persuaded to buy one , if I thought it would last.

Slightly different I know, but I've had a OnePlus One since December 2014. It's as fast now as it was on day 1.
    I don't think I'll be buying a 3 as although there are some neat new features there, I can't justify spending the money when I've got a perfectly good phone. I'd like to (!), but just can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭septicsac

Was going to buy a oneplus 3 but going to hold off and see how the reviews for the axon 7 fair out, as it looks a beast of a phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Mine says it won't be ready to ship until Monday (a delay from tomorrow) but DHL just text me to say they have a delivery for me on Friday. I'm not expecting anything else but can anyone who got one confirm it shows as being from "4PX"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Just got a mail myself saying mine has shipped (was supposed to be the 4th) Although no tracking number. Mine is going via parcel wizard so possibly being sent by a different courier

Adyx wrote: »
    Mine says it won't be ready to ship until Monday (a delay from tomorrow) but DHL just text me to say they have a delivery for me on Friday. I'm not expecting anything else but can anyone who got one confirm it shows as being from "4PX"?

Yep that's your OP3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

god's toy wrote:
    Yep that's your OP3!

Aw yeah. Nice one. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 oscarodw

Hey did any of you get the oneplus 3 on Vodafone network and if so how was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Hi guys,
    Upgrading my Vodafone Ultra 6 soon and really tempted by the OP3, price point is ok especially when you compare to Edge 6/7 and I phones.

Any problems with 3 Network? Anyone upgraded from the Ultra 6 to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

dahat wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Upgrading my Vodafone Ultra 6 soon and really tempted by the OP3, price point is ok especially when you compare to Edge 6/7 and I phones.

Any problems with 3 Network? Anyone upgraded from the Ultra 6 to this?

I have the one plus 3 on the 3 network. No problems so far

padair wrote: »
    I have the one plus 3 on the 3 network. No problems so far

Yep same here, after the update its been perfect jumping back to LTE too

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

septicsac wrote: »
    Was going to buy a oneplus 3 but going to hold off and see how the reviews for the axon 7 fair out, as it looks a beast of a phone
    you can find already on yt direct comparison and 1+3 wins, of course if you are into vr than choice is obvious. as for myself Ive ordered last week 1+3 and paid in total 375 euro due to gbp/euro exchange rate, phone just arrived into Dublin depot of Parcel motel so I presume I will jump on it shortly after weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

My OP3 cost me €361. have it a few days now and so far im very happy took advantage at the right time with sterling drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

jimmynokia wrote: »
    My OP3 cost me €361. have it a few days now and so far im very happy took advantage at the right time with sterling drop.

I should have been charged the same but bloody PayPal ripped me off:( (I've just checked exchange rates on the day I purchased 1+3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

faral wrote: »
    I should have been charged the same but bloody PayPal ripped me off:( (I've just checked exchange rates on the day I purchased 1+3)

There's an option in PayPal to pay in your bank's issuing currency. This allows the bank to use their exchange rate rather than PayPal using theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

I was strongly considering the OP3 but instead I opted for the Xiaomi Mi5 Black 32GB. €335 incl DHL shipping from Ali and I got a Flip cover, screen protector + random free gift.

I have used a OP3 that a sibling purchased and tbh, wasn't very impressed with it. Though the screen is large, it just didn't 'Wow' me. After doing a lot of research on forums, I read a lot of posts from a guy who had both the OP3 and Mi5 and he concluded the screen on the Mi5 is much better than the OP3.

Of course the OP3 is a more powerful phone but I think 6GB RAM is overkill. If somebody is paying €361 for a OP3, it might be worthwhile since I paid €335 for Mi5.

Because OP3 has bigger screen 5.5" to Mi5's 5.15", I imagine it will drain battery faster. Of course, software comes into play too but they are both running marshmallow 6.0.1 and minimalist versions at that.

Finally, I *much* prefer the design of the Mi5 to OP3. In my hands (big ass farmer hands btw) I found the OP3 quite clunky. It would be good for watching content on but feels a bit clumsy to me. I also don't understand why they want for the slim design on OP3 which leaves the camera exposed. So without a cover, when you set OP3 down on a table/surface, the point of impact is the camera. That's just bad design but probly not so much an issue if using a protective cover.

Do your own research anyway, my mi5 won't be here til next week so I may end up coming back and declaring the OP3 is better!

*edit: I actually just watched a video on youtube comparing the cameras of both and the OP3 looks WAY more detailed! What have I done!!

Cavey wrote: »
    I was strongly considering the OP3 but instead I opted for the Xiaomi Mi5 Black 32GB. €335 incl DHL shipping from Ali and I got a Flip cover, screen protector + random free gift.

I have used a OP3 that a sibling purchased and tbh, wasn't very impressed with it. Though the screen is large, it just didn't 'Wow' me. After doing a lot of research on forums, I read a lot of posts from a guy who had both the OP3 and Mi5 and he concluded the screen on the Mi5 is much better than the OP3.

Of course the OP3 is a more powerful phone but I think 6GB RAM is overkill. If somebody is paying €361 for a OP3, it might be worthwhile since I paid €335 for Mi5.

Because OP3 has bigger screen 5.5" to Mi5's 5.15", I imagine it will drain battery faster. Of course, software comes into play too but they are both running marshmallow 6.0.1 and minimalist versions at that.

Finally, I *much* prefer the design of the Mi5 to OP3. In my hands (big ass farmer hands btw) I found the OP3 quite clunky. It would be good for watching content on but feels a bit clumsy to me. I also don't understand why they want for the slim design on OP3 which leaves the camera exposed. So without a cover, when you set OP3 down on a table/surface, the point of impact is the camera. That's just bad design but probly not so much an issue if using a protective cover.

Do your own research anyway, my mi5 won't be here til next week so I may end up coming back and declaring the OP3 is better!

Did you not have to pay customs on top of the €335?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Thanks for posting about this option, very interested to hear how you get on!

*edit: I actually just watched a video on youtube comparing the cameras of both and the OP3 looks WAY more detailed! What have I done!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

That's not at all surprising tbh. Oneplus focused on improving the camera this time & it shows. Nothing on the same or a lower price level beats it. It absolutely destroys the slightly more expensive ZTE Axon 7 in a camera test, which is a real pity as I had my eye on that phone.

The Oneplus 3's camera aim's to take on the Samsung S7 & Iphone 6S a very difficult thing to do within a tight budget. It ultimately fails against the S7, but comes a little closer to the Iphone 6S, which is really impressive when you consider the cost.

Unfortunately my Oneplus 3 is lying in a warehouse somewhere, lost. Cheers DHL :rolleyes:

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Did you not have to pay customs on top of the €335?

Supposedly there is no customs charge when using DHL as your delivery carrier. If there is one, I'm just going to send it straight back to them without paying it and request a full refund from the seller.
    g0g wrote:
    Thanks for posting about this option, very interested to hear how you get on!

Thanks buddy, fingers crossed I made the right decision. I might try do an unboxing/first impressions/review so I'll throw a link up here if I do.

If I can get a lend of my siblings OP3, I'll try make a quick comparison vid too.
    Simi wrote: »
    That's not at all surprising tbh. Oneplus focused on improving the camera this time & it shows. Nothing on the same or a lower price level beats it. It absolutely destroys the slightly more expensive ZTE Axon 7 in a camera test, which is a real pity as I had my eye on that phone.

The Oneplus 3's camera aim's to take on the Samsung S7 & Iphone 6S a very difficult thing to do within a tight budget. It ultimately fails against the S7, but comes a little closer to the Iphone 6S, which is really impressive when you consider the cost.

Unfortunately my Oneplus 3 is lying in a warehouse somewhere, lost. Cheers DHL :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about that man, hopefully it gets to you soon!

Yes the camera really is very detailed on OP3. I did test my siblings camera but because the screen of the OP3 didn't overly impress me, it was harder to see all the detail the camera captured. Had I emailed that picture to myself and looked at it on my computer screen, I would have been much more impressed!

Although I did note in camera comparison video between the OP3 & Mi5, that for video, the Mi5 had notably better image stabilization. I think the audio recorded was similar on them (both good) but maybe the OP3 was nicer to my ears (slighty more bass).

*Edit2: The Lenovo ZUK Z2 also looks a beast for the money. e274.84 on Ali for the Black 4GB RAM/64GB ROM. Really good review of the pro version here

Supposedly there is no customs charge when using DHL as your delivery carrier. If there is one, I'm just going to send it straight back to them without paying it and request a full refund from the seller..

I think it's the other way around. DHL always add customs on top.

Your buying from China so you'll be liable to 23% on top of your €335 at the point of import and a €10/€15 handling charge. I'd say you could be looking at a bill of €90 in charges.

I'm nearly sure people on the Ali Express Bargain Alert Thread have said that DHL are the worst to get delivery with.

• Advertisement

I think it's the other way around. DHL always add customs on top.

Your buying from China so you'll be liable to 23% on top of your €335 at the point of import and a €10/€15 handling charge. I'd say you could be looking at a bill of €90 in charges.

I'm nearly sure people on the Ali Express Bargain Alert Thread have said that DHL are the worst to get delivery with.

Balls.

*But I'm sticking to my guns. If they want something stupid like 90euro off me, they can feck right off.

Balls.

*But I'm sticking to my guns. If they want something stupid like 90euro off me, they can feck right off.

Send a message to the seller on Ali Express and ask does it include customs. I highly doubt it does but they might mark the package as a low value item for you.

Send a message to the seller on Ali Express and ask does it include customs. I highly doubt it does but they might mark the package as a low value item for you.

Well it's confusing because on the seller page it says no customs charge using dhl unless you are in a remote area, which I am not.

It says elsewhere on the same page that if there is customs charges, the buyer is responsible for payment.

Firing them a message is probably a good idea but I might hold off and just see what happens first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

I bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 cost €230 off Ali through DHL and never paid customs. Had the phone in 9 days

Well it's confusing because on the seller page it says no customs charge using dhl unless you are in a remote area, which I am not.

It says elsewhere on the same page that if there is customs charges, the buyer is responsible for payment.

So you're somewhere close to China?

• Advertisement
Advertisement