Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Echo on wireless lepel mics

Options
  • 14-06-2016 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hi I have posted this in the audio video editing forum, but hoping there is some audiophile's here that might be able to help.

I have 3 wireless senhisers (sorry about spelling) connected into a sound desk.

They are used for interviews where each person is approx 1 - 3 feet apart.

The problem is that when the 3 are on together their is really bad reverb / echoing. Its like 1 mic is picking up the other peoples voices. I've turned the sensitivity right down on all of them but no affect. Surely there has to be a way to get them all working together.

Any advise is welcomed

Omega

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Haven't used'em. Just busting out an idea here, what about the gain, or input level for the microphone itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Ask Sennheiser for advice - or the company you bought them from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Have you tried "Ducking" the mics?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

There's nothing wrong with your equipment, this is inevitable with multiple mics open at the same time. They may also be omni mics, not cardioid, which is the right choice for TV work, but not great when there's a PA system. Yes, person 2 & 3's mics will pick up person 1 talking, that's life! Your options are to get a real sound engineer, or spend enough time honing your mixing technique (eg: try lowering the mics not being spoken into by 6-10db, at the risk of missing some dialogue), or get some version of an automixer (hardware or software - either will be quite expensive).

I know you may think there's a secret to this, but there isn't, sorry!

g

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 The Codemaster

Instead of having them clipped onto a shirt or collar, have you tried putting them underneath their clothes, centre of their chest? That is the area where the throat meets the breast bone. In this location, your lav mic will get good volume from the mouth and warm resonance from the throat.

It works great & is a very commonly used technique. And your mic is less open to ambient noise. Google it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ziondave

I'd say you're talking about latency and/or phasing issues. If you solo the individual tracks after recording do they sound ok on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FR85

As above I would say you are getting phasing. If you have a phase reverse on the desk you maybe able to eliminate it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

Was working on 1+1 interviews in college most of this week in a tv studio, using 2 shure clip on radio mics with the presenter and guest sitting around 1.5 feet apart, these seemed to work well with no issues, when it came my turn to sit at the desk for a couple of these interviews I instantly noticed the polarity reverse switch and thought hmm those mics might actually be phasing a bit,

so after the intro piece the presenters mic went straight up, i was slowly turning up the guest mic when i heard a very subtle change in the presenter voice, seemed like i was experiencing comb filtering for the first time in the real world, instantly hit the polarity switch and this change in timbre disappeared.

I would definitely say it is possible that you are having phase issues try flipping the polarity on your presenters microphone and seeing is there any difference in your sound, also perhaps try moving the third microphone a bit further away (so to minimise any spill from the microphone that it is still in the same polarity with)

one last thing that would spring to mind are the frequencies you have the microphones operating at, if they are the same/close together you might be getting interference between all the mic packs and recording the same mic on 2 or more of the channels.

If it is a phasing issue and all of the channels sound grand when played back on their own, if there arent any points where there are 2 people talking over each other during the interview, you can edit down the tracks to only use the portions where the person on that track is speaking.

Advertisement