Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New way of marking exams

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yep. Another cost-saving measure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The one plus is that candidates must use blue or black pen for it to be picked up by the scanner, or so I heard. Begone red, green and pink biros.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

spurious wrote: »
    The one plus is that candidates must use blue or black pen for it to be picked up by the scanner, or so I heard. Begone red, green and pink biros.

Yeah I was told to only use black pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah I was told to only use black pen.

You're actually supposed to use pen for all exams. Not that anyone actually follows that rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

jeonahr wrote: »
    You're actually supposed to use pen for all exams. Not that anyone actually follows that rule.

'Em I do use "pen" for all exams..... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

sryanbruen wrote: »
    'Em I do use "pen" for all exams..... :confused:

Haha oops :P
    At least in my year no one uses pen for "all" their exams. Especially not maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

spurious wrote: »

And the pencil which a lot of students use for the aural. I can see this causing a lot of stress to students about this in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 John_2187

Does the new way mean if the electronic can't read my writing then I get less marks? I have okay writing but there's a lot of scribbles and mistakes

John_2187 wrote: »
    Does the new way mean if the electronic can't read my writing then I get less marks? I have okay writing but there's a lot of scribbles and mistakes

The current way of marking means if your writing can't be read, you can't get marks. It will be the same with the new system. As I understand it, correctors will correct scanned images of pages - the pages won't be put through an OCR system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

John_2187 wrote: »

If your writing can't be read, the examiner flags it and the original is checked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement