Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail issue

Options
  • 14-06-2016 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong section!

I'm having a problem with my Gmail account. I can log into it no problem and I am receiving emails fine. However for some reason I cannot use that email to register for anything as it is coming up saying "invalid email" (or something similar)

I have checked and rechecked I am not inputting it wrongly and also used different browsers but to no avail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'm having a problem with my Gmail account. I can log into it no problem and I am receiving emails fine. However for some reason I cannot use that email to register for anything as it is coming up saying "invalid email" (or something similar)

I have checked and rechecked I am not inputting it wrongly and also used different browsers but to no avail.

Is there any unusual characters in your username? Maybe like a secondary '@' as part of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

There is a stop. So for eg Keane2b.amused@gmail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Ah. Make sure you put in the full address, for example. Keane2b.amused@gmail.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

I've seen some sites insist in the email address you provide be the one your ISP have provided so instead of gmail or hotmail etc... it be @sky.com or @talktalk.com etc...

Granted I haven't seen this in a couple of years, but I do remember having to set one up with IOL some time ago for something.

If it's not that then the form thinks your email address doesn't fit with the standard naming convention.

Speedwell wrote: »
    Ah. Make sure you put in the full address, for example. Keane2b.amused@gmail.com.

I do and it's still doing the same :(

• Advertisement

I've had the same email for years and never had this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Is it one particular website that's denying your email address or have you tried a couple.

If it's just the one I'd drop their support team an email and explain the situation and see if they can create one for you manually

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

With Gmail you can put as many dots in as you like, anywhere you like and it will be treated the same, i.e. as if there were no dots in there at all.

It's a non-standard thing though, so just omit the dot, and it will probably be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I have 2 different gmail addresses that include stops in the prefix and havent had any issue registering.
    One thing you can do with gmail addresses is add in or remove the stop.

For example - somebody could email you at Keane2bamused@ and you will still receive it. Try register without the stop within the prefix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Try later. I work for an IT company and we do a lot of remote support, and things seem weirdly slow and uncooperative at the moment. It may not be you at all; it may be a web issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Send an email to another account if you have one and just check then what gmail is using for the email. could be something funny there. Long short but worth checking if you haven't already

As pointed out some sites don't allow you to use free email accounts while registering so maybe check their terms and conditions

And dots in the email are ignored so these all should work and get you the email so maybe try the 2nd one without dots and see if that works?

Keane2b.amused@gmail.com
    Keane2bamused@gmail.com
    Keane.2.b.amused@gmail.com
    etc

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/google-in-the-enterprise/quick-tip-dots-are-meaningless-in-your-gmail-address/

Pretty much what GBX and Alun said first (didn't see his post )

eoin_mcg wrote: »
    Is it one particular website that's denying your email address or have you tried a couple.

If it's just the one I'd drop their support team an email and explain the situation and see if they can create one for you manually

No it has actually been for a few different websites, so it's really strange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

This happened to me before, the email field was auto populating with my email when I typed the first 3 letters, the issue was that it was adding a space at the end.

Alun wrote: »
    With Gmail you can put as many dots in as you like, anywhere you like and it will be treated the same, i.e. as if there were no dots in there at all.

It's a non-standard thing though, so just omit the dot, and it will probably be accepted.

Really? I didn't know this.

The thing is I have actually gotten emails before that the individual thought was me (ie a person with my name) but clearly weren't for me.

Weirdly enough the stop Doesn't show up in my email when I get them. I have gotten bookings for salons in America and pics of people's grandkids on occasion :O Even an overdue bill from an Australian phone company.

I had to email explaining I wasn't the right person!

Send an email to another account if you have one and just check then what gmail is using for the email. could be something funny there. Long short but worth checking if you haven't already

As pointed out some sites don't allow you to use free email accounts while registering so maybe check their terms and conditions

And dots in the email are ignored so these all should work and get you the email so maybe try the 2nd one without dots and see if that works?

Keane2b.amused@gmail.com
    Keane2bamused@gmail.com
    Keane.2.b.amused@gmail.com
    etc

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/google-in-the-enterprise/quick-tip-dots-are-meaningless-in-your-gmail-address/

Pretty much what GBX's said first (didn't see his post )

I tried this and it all came through fine and my usual Keane2b.amused@gmail came up as the sender.

xabi wrote: »
    This happened to me before, the email field was auto populating with my email when I typed the first 3 letters, the issue was that it was adding a space at the end.

That's what I thought the issue was also initially, I thought I was putting a space in at the start or end but nope. I got my OH to check it also to make sure I'm not going crazy and he got the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

try clearing the temp internet files and cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

what exactly error message you are getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

As with the previous post, can you post the error message?
    Is is saying something like "invalid e-mail address"?

Chances are, they are blocking gmail e-mail addresses for sign-up. Weird I know, a lot more sites are blocking these due to people setting up temp accounts (creating gmail accounts for the purpose of signing up to the accounts).

Can you also post the links to the sites where gmail is not working? This will make it easier to determine if it is the sites themselves or some other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What website is it? Are you sure you are not trying to log in when you have not registered what that email address or something?

• Advertisement
Advertisement