Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Scorpio - 4k gaming console

Options
  • 14-06-2016 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Xbox announced it today. Can't see it happening at a budget price. They proably realize the current one is outdated allready!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The current gen has been a total farce. Incapable of delivering 1080p 60fps even at launch - relative to the launch of the 360, the whole 'next gen' this round was a joke. A decent PC in 2011 - i5-2400, GTX570, 8Gb ram - is onpar with the PS4 and XB1, despite releasing before either console and not being overly high end.

At for the next? No, 4k capable does not mean 4k gaming, it's a marketing spiel. To drive 4K gaming at decent levels it would have to be the equivalent to a 1K+ PC. It's simply not going to happen.

I reckon these refresh consoles will deliver 1080p60fps, and that was always their intenion, but can display in 4K for display and media purposes, which current consoles cannot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

TVs are moving on quicker than they need to and way too fast for consoles to keep up. Everything, every console until the Playstation 3 has essentially been using the same display technology. That's the Atari 2600 to the Playstation 2 all on the same resolution.

TBH these days PC is where it's at IMHO. There's just too much functionality, cheap games and fun to be had on a PC costing a similar amount to a current gen console. PS4VR might be the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Only just made the move to the current gen in February. I'm quite happy with the xb1 as it stands and will get a few years out of it yet, but it will most likely be the last ever console I purchase.

I've a feeling that both Sony and Microsoft are about to inadvertently kill the golden goose with these half -upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Well if it's anything like the new playstation it's an even bigger farce. Marginally updated old AMD hardware. Do they not talk to AMD?

Surely they could have planned something using the new 6 core zen cpu cores and something like a 480 squeezed onto the 1 die. If they waited 6 months to a year they could have had all that crammed onto 1 die with 8gb of HBM2 for a true next gen console experience that would easily churn out 1080p games with 60fps, 16xAF and maybe even some decent levels of AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Either they are to far away(Scorpio) or look to be possibly under powered(PS4 Neo) so neither of them interest in the slightest at the moment....

Why have a premium console when you can have a PC?

Consoles have there place imo,but not at the ultra high end,or what they think is the ultra high end. Make them decently capable of pushing 1080p 60fps for the next few years and that would do me. I wouldnt want them for much more than that or they would be too expensive imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

After the disappointment of this gen, and a Ps4 gathering dust, I'm finished with consoles. Never again.

Toying with the idea of selling my current PS4, only for it sounds handy to keep around for the odd exclusive and playing BluRay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

TheDoc wrote: »
    After the disappointment of this gen, and a Ps4 gathering dust, I'm finished with consoles. Never again.

Toying with the idea of selling my current PS4, only for it sounds handy to keep around for the odd exclusive and playing BluRay

you know im thinking the same, Im sick of hearing "Remaster" in relation to consoles, rather than release something new it feels like they slap a bit of paint on the old game and send it back out to the idiot masses..... Easy money!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Chops95

Thankfully I managed to win a PS4 so i didn't have to splash cash on it and i upgraded my PC instead. The PS4 is a disappointment imo. Fallout 4 on it is pathetic. My friend has it on his PS4 and the lag is unbearable. The reason I play my PS4 is so i can play games with my brother in the same room. Unfortunately there is a lack of decent multiplayer games that I can play with him.

Chops95 wrote: »
    Thankfully I managed to win a PS4 so i didn't have to splash cash on it and i upgraded my PC instead. The PS4 is a disappointment imo. Fallout 4 on it is pathetic. My friend has it on his PS4 and the lag is unbearable. The reason I play my PS4 is so i can play games with my brother in the same room. Unfortunately there is a lack of decent multiplayer games that I can play with him.

I wouldn't blame the PS4 for that. It's bethesdas problem for sticking with that antiquated engine they have been using for a decade now.

They should have just used unreal engine. Even Nintendo are using Unreal engine now. It will become the industry standard this time around I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

cadete wrote: »
    you know im thinking the same, Im sick of hearing "Remaster" in relation to consoles, rather than release something new it feels like they slap a bit of paint on the old game and send it back out to the idiot masses..... Easy money!

In fairness to the devs, technology at the tail end of Gen7 was developing rapidly & they were caught trying to make modern games on 8yo hardware.

And no one is forcing you to buy remasters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Can a GPU that outs 6 Tflop and 320gb/s bandwidth even manage 4k efficiently? The 390X has similar specs and struggles at 30fps in 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Can a GPU that outs 6 Tflop and 320gb/s bandwidth even manage 4k efficiently? The 390X has similar specs and struggles at 30fps in 4k

Digital Foundry doesn't think so.
    Lowered settings and/or dynamic resolution scaling will probably be the order of the day.
    Or unstable, sub-30fps gameplay :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BloodBath wrote: »
    Well if it's anything like the new playstation it's an even bigger farce. Marginally updated old AMD hardware. Do they not talk to AMD?

Surely they could have planned something using the new 6 core zen cpu cores and something like a 480 squeezed onto the 1 die. If they waited 6 months to a year they could have had all that crammed onto 1 die with 8gb of HBM2 for a true next gen console experience that would easily churn out 1080p games with 60fps, 16xAF and maybe even some decent levels of AA.

If you look at Adored's coverage you'll see hints as to why, cost. Smaller dies are way cheaper to mass produce which is what Sony need as consoles tend to not pay for themselves at the shelf price.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Haha I swear I NEVER seen that article before. It's pretty much comparing the card I mentioned!

Not a chance. It will be just as bad at delivering that as the xbox is at delivering 1080p. Expect 30fps, upscaled resolution, lowered game settings and dips into the 20's in poorly optimized games.

It's still using 28nm old ass tech. Both Sony and Micro have failed twice in a row now.

ED E wrote: »
    If you look at Adored's coverage you'll see hints as to why, cost. Smaller dies are way cheaper to mass produce which is what Sony need as consoles tend to not pay for themselves at the shelf price.

I can bet that a 6 core zen with a 470/480 gpu at 14nm would be smaller than a 8 core 28nm jaguar + whatever 28nm graphics they are using.

Granted it would surely cost more but the performance increase over the old tech would be huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

This thread makes me feel better about spending > 700 on a GPU. At least I'll be able to change detail settings and wont have to buy my games all over again! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

TVs are moving on quicker than they need to and way too fast for consoles to keep up.

TV's have moved backwards, plasmas from Pioneer and Panasonic will give a better picture than any led tv or 4K(4k is still led, just marketing spin) tv on the market today, they were dropped as they were to costly to produce. There picture is still way better the anything you can pick up in currys or Harvey Norman these days.
    Oled will give great picture but the prices are still off the wall.

Good frame rates and 1080p will do most of the world for years to come, sky are still on 1080i, 4K is an in between technology, not as good as the Plasmas that came before it and not as good as the Oled's about to come.

Do many people even have 4k tv's? What's the point when tv content is up scaled 720p at best? Are 4k movies even a thing? I'm guessing the adoption rate is very poor when people already have good 1080p screens and blu ray players.

Anyway the majority of us on here are big tech heads and I don't think many have dipped into 4k gaming on PC even with huge budgets available so I don't see how they are going to do it with a cheap ass console.

It is 15 months away though so it's quite possible it will be using a 480 equivalent gpu. 6 T/flops would put it on par with a 390x and there's no way they crammed a 390x onto a single die with an 8 core cpu and managed to cool it in a small console. I seriously doubt they are still going to be using jaguar cores by then as well so most likely new 14nm low power ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

If their GPU is similar to a 390x (which I own as well as a 4k monitor) they are going nowhere fast :D it is not a viable GPU for 4k, sub 30fps is what you'll get.
    That and a free room heating system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

BloodBath wrote: »
    Do many people even have 4k tv's? What's the point when tv content is up scaled 720p at best? Are 4k movies even a thing? I'm guessing the adoption rate is very poor when people already have good 1080p screens and blu ray players.

Anyway the majority of us on here are big tech heads and I don't think many have dipped into 4k gaming on PC even with huge budgets available so I don't see how they are going to do it with a cheap ass console.

It is 15 months away though so it's quite possible it will be using a 480 equivalent gpu. 6 T/flops would put it on par with a 390x and there's no way they crammed a 390x onto a single die with an 8 core cpu and managed to cool it in a small console. I seriously doubt they are still going to be using jaguar cores by then as well so most likely new 14nm low power ones.

TV content (unless its happened and I haven't been informed) is not even reaching 1080p yet, with "HD" channels still only operating at 720p.

I know I built a HTPC and specifically tailored it around 720p. I don't have a TV where I feel 1080p is noticeable (I've a 42") so kept things at the 720p level. I'm also not fond of the monstrous 1080p filesizes over 720p, for again, gains I can barely notice.

4k does look incredible when viewing 4K content, but as with HD and pretty much any TV advancement, there is a MASSIVE leadtime before the stuff becomes standard. Massive. I'd never early adopt on TV technology ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    In fairness to the devs, technology at the tail end of Gen7 was developing rapidly & they were caught trying to make modern games on 8yo hardware.

And no one is forcing you to buy remasters.

the technology at the tail end of last generation was only being fully utilised when ps4xb1 arrived look at the last of us as an example, a masterpiece imo and right at the end of ps3! and rather than try to bring new exciting games like the last of us and push on devs have as i said slapped paint on titles and sent them back for easy money, thats my point simple as, ps4/xb1 have been a shambles and bearly an upgrade at all on 360/ps3, im sure it will be a long time until i buy another console as this generation certainly has left a bitter taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I honestly don't understand the whole chase of 4k in living room and consoles.

Anything under 55inch is aware of 4k in living room. Majority of people buy tvs under 55inch. Due to living room and bedroom sizes not big enough for TV or cost.
    It will be really sad of they sacrifice all games fidelity just ot have that 4k number in that 99% of people won't even notice.
    Beefed up hardware better be focused on 1080p 60fps and all the eye candy and complexity of games.
    I got ps4 and xbox one too, but I use it for exclusives and playing with friends who don't own pcs.
    Damn, majority of my gaming is now on 3ds, which has God awful 800x240 resolution. :)

i always love new gaming hardware, most likely I will eventually update my PS4 and xbox one to new ones, but God, so many people fooling themselves if they really expect 4k gamong out-of those machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I honestly don't understand the whole chase of 4k in living room and consoles.

Anything under 55inch is aware of 4k in living room. Majority of people buy tvs under 55inch. Due to living room and bedroom sizes not big enough for TV or cost.
    It will be really sad of they sacrifice all games fidelity just ot have that 4k number in that 99% of people won't even notice.
    Beefed up hardware better be focused on 1080p 60fps and all the eye candy and complexity of games.
    I got ps4 and xbox one too, but I use it for exclusives and playing with friends who don't own pcs.
    Damn, majority of my gaming is now on 3ds, which has God awful 800x240 resolution. :)

i always love new gaming hardware, most likely I will eventually update my PS4 and xbox one to new ones, but God, so many people fooling themselves if they really expect 4k gamong out-of those machines.

Marketing buzzwords to sell you stuff you don't need yet.

4K is the new 3D for trying to sell you a new TV.

Advertisement