Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc build,plz review before I buy.

Options
  • 14-06-2016 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

First time gaming pc,what I plan on buying,

-Computer Case - Black by Corsair Windowed Compact ATX Performance

-Samsung S22D300HY 21.5 inch LED HDMI Monitor - Black

-Intel Core I5-6600K Processor (3.5 GHz, 6 M Cache

-Asus Z170 Pro Motherboard (Socket 1151, Z170, DDR4, S-ATA 600, ATX, SupremeFX, Sonic Radar ll)

-HyperX FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 2133 MHz DDR4 CL14 DIMM Memory Kit

-Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB SATA lll Desktop SATA Drive - Blue

-Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 Evo "Ultra High Performance, 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes

-NVIDIA GTX 970

-Windows 10 Home 32-bit/64-bit English I

-Corsair CP-9020015-UK Builder Series CX750 ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit, 750 W.

Am I missing anything?Comes to a cost of 1300 euro through amazon.Any feedback would be great.Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No major complaints but might be worth holding out for AMD 480, which is looking set to be 970-980 performance at a lower price point brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

No SSD =a mistake.

PSU is overpowered.

You'd squeeze a 250GB SSD, 16GB of faster RAM and a 2TB HDD (instead of 1TB) into the build by buying the innards from mindfactory, get the case and monitor from Amazon.

edit: and wait for the 480!:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brian 2016

Thanks,I think that releases on the 29th June.Would it hard to be order a amd 480 on the 29th?Don't want to be stuck on a waiting list and by the time it arrives the summers over.I know there is huge demand for the new nvidia cards.

grindle wrote: »
    No SSD =a mistake.

PSU is overpowered.

You'd squeeze a 250GB SSD, 16GB of faster RAM and a 2TB HDD (instead of 1TB) into the build by buying the innards from mindfactory, get the case and monitor from Amazon.

edit: and wait for the 480!:-)

Thanks will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Pretty solid build, but I'd recommend getting an SSD & changing the monitor. It's a TN panel so view angles are going to be bad;
    http://www.testfreaks.com/monitors/samsung-s22d300hy/

I'd recommend going for a 24" IPS monitor if possible, as it hits all the sweet spots with good size, vibrant colours & great view angles.
    The 24" AOC I2476VW IPS monitor is good value on Amazon for £99.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-I2476VW-23-6-Inch-HDMI-Monitor/dp/B00JLBFTNM

Also do you need a DVD drive?
    Just mentioned it in case you forgot, but I know they are used less and less these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Brian 2016 wrote: »
    Thanks,I think that releases on the 29th June.Would it hard to be order a amd 480 on the 29th?Don't want to be stuck on a waiting list and by the time it arrives the summers over.I know there is huge demand for the new nvidia cards.

There is and there isn't. There's certainly more hype and nVidia 'paper launched'. The rumour is that the Rx480 is in stock already in some parts. I guess when you want to sell over 200 million cards you probably don't want stock issues! :pac:

Overclockable CPUs and Z170 chipsets are a bit of a waste of money IMHO. How much does a B150 chipset and non K CPU save you?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Overclockable CPUs and Z170 chipsets are a bit of a waste of money IMHO. How much does a B150 chipset and non K CPU save you?

Dropping to a Core i5 6500 saves you €50 and the drop from Z170 to the MSI B150 Pro will save you €60.
    That's a €110 saving right there.

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Dropping to a Core i5 6500 saves you €50 and the drop from Z170 to the MSI B150 Pro will save you €60.
    That's a €110 saving right there.

thanks,will go with those instead.

Brian 2016 wrote: »
    thanks,will go with those instead.

Make sure to add in an SSD, I can't imagine using a PC without one these days.

• Advertisement

What is a good power supply unit to get since the above one is a bit overpowered?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I'd recommend this (same price as the one you had chosen, lower wattage, but better components = longer life).
    If you're dropping to a B150 (or anything else besides a Z170) you should go for slower RAM as they're all limited to 2133.
    I think faster RAM makes Z-mobos worth getting nowadays unless on a tight budget, especially with GPUs getting faster & CPUs working harder it'd be a shame to have visuals stutter due to RAM speed if you ever go for a high refresh monitor.

grindle wrote: »
    I'd recommend this (same price as the one you had chosen, lower wattage, but better components = longer life).
    If you're dropping to a B150 (or anything else besides a Z170) you should go for slower RAM as they're all limited to 2133.
    I think faster RAM makes Z-mobos worth getting nowadays unless on a tight budget, especially with GPUs getting faster & CPUs working harder it'd be a shame to have visuals stutter due to RAM speed if you ever go for a high refresh monitor.

Any links to that? Seems a bit odd when we've bombed along quite happily on DDR3 which topped out at around 2133. I'd also be dubious of 'faster' ram given the Mhz ratings would be more for sustained transfers and timings should make more difference to individual frames. Timings on 'faster' RAM get progressively worse to allow the higher clock speeds.

As always I'm open to correction and always keen to read up on things.

Advertisement