Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

writing a contract with a business partner

Options
  • 15-06-2016 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    I'm looking for some advice on the above. Myself and two friends are setting up a business together but we want to have stuff in writing about the future so we know where we all stand. I have no experience in this so looking for some advice on what to look for and what to put down on paper? any advice would be greatly appreciated

TY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Write out the main points then use a solicitor to write it up as there will likely be a ton of extra stuff they suggest to have in it that you haven't even considered!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Include a "shotgun clause" (look it up).

Consider having a majority partner, rather than an exact 50:50 split. Or look into other options for resolving disputes.

Make sure there's a provision for one partner dying, wanting to quit, disagreeing with business direction, etc. Plan for the absolute worst case scenarios, discuss them frankly now, and ensure you're both on the same page about how to deal with them, and put it down in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭chair28

Trojan wrote: »
    Include a "shotgun clause" (look it up).

Consider having a majority partner, rather than an exact 50:50 split. Or look into other options for resolving disputes.

Make sure there's a provision for one partner dying, wanting to quit, disagreeing with business direction, etc. Plan for the absolute worst case scenarios, discuss them frankly now, and ensure you're both on the same page about how to deal with them, and put it down in writing.

Thanks, but as I said I'm new to this. What type of things should I be putting down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

As an aside, I would really really think very long and hard about going into business with a friend. I personally would never do it.

It rarely works out and can be far more acrimonious than a normal partnership split.

Are you doing it because he/she is your friend or because you genuinely cannot do it without them. The answer needs to be the second one.

Advertisement