Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road racing Bike Recommdations

Options
  • 15-06-2016 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

I've got a budget of 3k for a road racer and want to make sure I can get the best bike I can for my money.

Want to try and avoid aero bikes and sportive bikes and I really just want this for road racing. Already have a very good set of racing wheels so they aren't important, components don't really bother me either and I'm fairly light as it is so weight not the biggest issue either.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Argon 18 Krypton

950x560_KryptonBlack_A18_2015_554312bc-2557-428e-aa16-b517aa4c244c_1024x1024.jpg?v=1444401544

or Cervélo R2 would be my choices if not looking for an aero bike.

R2-Banner-White-560x400-20140623-8b7b2bc5-794c-4d49-8f3d-28da34b289b0-0-560x400_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1438253201

Bianchi have some quality bikes but you budget might take a hit for the proper high end models. Personally I'd go with the Argon.

http://shop.base2race.ie/collections/bikes-from-2-000-to-3-000

It would be rude to ignore Canyon. they're seriously light bikes 6.7kg

9a31e1ab65c6cf59f4834327ba460.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

whatever you buy remember this... if you crash can you afford to replace a 3k bike?
    im of the opinion, going forward, to go with something reasonably affordable (e.g Canyon CF SL ) with a wheelset you can replace or has crash replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Canyon Ultimate AL SLX 9.0

Di2, good wheels. Spend the remaining 200 on insurance.

BTW I am a little confused cos you say you don't want aero frame and don't need a super lightweight frame either, wheels aren't important and components don't bother you, so what's left?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm also in the market for a bike around the same price range...I'm interested in the ULTIMATE CF SL 9.0 DI2 however I notice that Canyon are online only. Anybody know a LBS that would buy one in for me and sell it to me (so I can avail of C2W scheme)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

fletch wrote: »
    I'm also in the market for a bike around the same price range...I'm interested in the ULTIMATE CF SL 9.0 DI2 however I notice that Canyon are online only. Anybody know a LBS that would buy one in for me and sell it to me (so I can avail of C2W scheme)?

Canyon accept the Irish bike 2 work.

The issue arises if your company uses a middle man and doesn't allow electronic transfers directly to Canyon.

Also I doubt any bike shop would do as you ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh my employer uses a middle man and Canyon isn't on the list of accepted retailers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

markusz wrote:
    whatever you buy remember this... if you crash can you afford to replace a 3k bike? im of the opinion, going forward, to go with something reasonably affordable (e.g Canyon CF SL ) with a wheelset you can replace or has crash replacement.

How common is it that the frame would need to be replaced after a crash in a race ?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

How common is it that the frame would need to be replaced after a crash in a race ?
    its common (read any Ras reports!) and its not just racing either... a buddy of mine smashed a Cervelo R5 on a club spin. cost him 600 euro to fix as he couldnt afford the crash replacement option at 2300+ euro!

markusz wrote: »
    its common (read any Ras reports!) and its not just racing either... a buddy of mine smashed a Cervelo R5 on a club spin. cost him 600 euro to fix as he couldnt afford the crash replacement option at 2300+ euro!

Yikes!

I know buying a bike with a crash in mind might not be the best reasons but would something like a Alloy CAAD10 be a feasible option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

You'd be pretty unlucky to total a frame in a crash. Of course it happens but I wouldn't be factoring it into calculations. I have crashed quite a lot in races but I have never damaged a frame. I did rip my bar tape in a crash last week though so maybe skimp on that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement