Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 7

Options
  • 15-06-2016 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Releasing "early 2017", this looks to be getting a major change up in terms of gameplay. There is a teaser demo on PSN for PS+ users showing the new gameplay that will work with or without VR. The teaser does not show any characters from the game, just setting up the backdrop for the main event.

For those who don't have PS+, here's 1 walkthrough. Like P.T meets Blair Witch. This 15 minute teaser was more enjoayble than my half playthrough or Resi 6.

Teaser Spoilers:
    I got 2 endings, 1 where I got to the back door like in the vid below and one where I answered a phone in the attic and was attacked after it.
    Anyone else find something different?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I kept myself nicely sauced for the entirety of Resi 6..... I think it helped.... I still remember the inventory being a total f**king joke.

I never thought 5 was as bad as people made out, I hope this is a return to form as I really do like the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Capcom have confirmed that the full game will stay first person but won't be an FPS, that's what umbrella corps is for. Doesn't mean there won't be guns, most likely very limited ammo. Herbs confirmed as well.

Just weird that there's a ghost in the demo, dunno if the full game will have both ghosts and zombies or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 G.Ames

The teaser makes you want more , I hope that Resident Evil returns to basics . The sense of fear is much stronger with little ammunition and healing . I also hope that more emphasis is placed on riddles again.

Next I hope they create an exciting and engaging storyline. Not that bull**** vom RE6.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As I said in another thread:

My impression of the demo was that of a formally and thematically hollow attempt to recapture / shamelessly clone the magic of PT, without understanding the pyschological and existential dread woven into that 'game's' DNA. And yet it was still the most I've been intrigued by a Resi game in a years - while its tricks were as about as tropey and derivative as possible, it's still refreshing to see the series back at its horror roots and focusing on environmental creepiness and mystery again. It looks and sounds good, is sufficiently engaging and has some nice moments (the transition to 'playing' as the cameraman on the VHS tape was neat). If it maintains what is in the demo, the final game will be solid horror fare with a few welcome flourishes.

Above all, made me mourn for a Silent Hills that recaptured the bold, radical spirit of PT though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I felt it had a very Texas Chainsaw Massacre Vibe to it ...Loved it anyway left me wanting so much more

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I really enjoyed this teaser, most fun I've had with Resident Evil since 4. 5 was ok and 6 I gave up after 2 hours it was so bad in so many ways.

The look and feel of the teaser as well as trying to survive was the big appeal to me in this teaser, its also full of atmosphere and really hope the full game has plenty of puzzles, lots of exploring and frights. The less this game relies on guns the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Anyone figure out what to do with the finger in the drawer?
    Already used the fuse, axe and key.
    Demo was interesting but didn't get tense until the last few minutes. I'd love to try it in vr but at 400 no chance!

I hope the finger is for something and not just a red herring. The bit in the basement had me grinning like a fool as it was the exact same as
    blair witch ending

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Axe and finger nobody has figured so far it seems. Only seen videos on Twitch, must dust off the ps4 and give it a bash some night.
    Anyone seen the ghost yet? F**k me the first two I nearly sh*t myself! :eek:

madcabbage wrote: »
    Axe and finger nobody has figured so far it seems. Only seen videos on Twitch, must dust off the ps4 and give it a bash some night.
    Anyone seen the ghost yet? F**k me the first two I nearly sh*t myself! :eek:

I hadn't seen any in my play through and then saw one in a vid online, definitely gonna play again. That door at end of the hall is interesting as well, not boarded up like the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Blair witch meets PT meets texas chainsaw massacre,what's not to like?

Looks like they're actually listening to fans and delivering a legitimate horror game, finally.

Also appreciated the Resident Evil 2 reference.

What reference, the one to the resi 2 demo with the sku (or something) number? How anyone found that is beyond me.

Polygon journo said playing the demo in vr made him feel sick if he moved around too quickly and probably couldn't play the full game with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    What reference, the one to the resi 2 demo with the sku (or something) number? How anyone found that is beyond me.

Polygon journo said playing the demo in vr made him feel sick if he moved around too quickly and probably couldn't play the full game with it.

No not that, the name of the TV show. One of the guys says it when the three of you are outside the house about to break in. I'd spoiler it but I can't cause I'm on my phone!

Someone at E3 asked Capcom about the demo and they confirmed there is a way to survive it and the dummy finger has a use. Could be pure spoof but will wait and see what the Internet finds.

Capcom also said Resi 7 was being made before PT and was First Person before it. They said it after the amount of people saying they copied PT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Whats PT?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Whats PT?

I played it but don't know the background - it had some connection with Silent Hill. It was FPS horror demo where your character is walking through a small hallway, you get to the end door, go through and you are at the beginning again. Each time you walk through there were subtle and sometimes scary differences.
    I gave up around the fourth lap when a door that had never opened before creaked open behind me, after I passed it.
    Game subsequently got canned. Internet got sad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Capcom also said Resi 7 was being made before PT and was First Person before it. They said it after the amount of people saying they copied PT :)

Sure Capcom...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 G.Ames

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Whats PT?

P.T. means playable teaser, so Hidejo Kojima was working on that game in collaboration with Guillermo Del Torro.
    P.T. was served primarily as an interactive teaser for the game Silent Hill.

The work on the game , however, was not continued.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, there was a boom in well received first person horror games around the time work on Resi 7 would have started and before PT. Definitely wouldn't rule out such a coincidence, even if the usual 'PR speak' goggles should be applied.

But when the demo so blatantly borrows the Kojima, Del Toro and co's tricks, presentation and formula, any claim the demo wasn't inspired by PT rings more than a little hollow :)

Retro, 1st thing I said reading it as well 'Suuuuuurrrrrreeeeeee'.

For anyone interested, here is a playthrough of PT. Brilliant experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Did any of you guys know that theres multiple endings to the demo?

And theres meant to be some ghosts during the vcr gameplay.

I didnt spot any and I got the most linear ending possible! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Colour me immensely interested.

If you've already finished the demo then play it again and try this:
    Go straight for the fireplace and activate the switch to open the little door that you have to crouch to get through and go down the ladder.

I haven't tried it yet just going off what a friend told me so if it doesnt work you've been warned! :P

There's also meant to be a use for the
    Dummy finger
    but no one has figured it out yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As much as I think this is a brand new direction for the series, it just isn't resident evil for me. There just isn't enough action. The original resi games had you amassing weapons and taking down bosses while figuring out the environment to progress. This on the other hand seems like an attempt to emulate the recent trend in indie first person horror games.

While I welcome something new this certainly isn't a return to the series roots, it's completely different. I still miss that blend of action and environmental progression of the old resi games, games that had you constantly worried about ammo and save ribbons because they didn't Molly coddle the player and it was possible to leave yourself in an unwinnable position but so well designed that you couldn't really unless you tried but that threat was always there.

Still I'll take it over another attempt at resi 4 that completely misses what made that game so good.

Well capcom said this was just to set the tone, and there will be weapons with very limited ammo. Saying that, it's supposed to be out in 7 months and we haven't seen one thing about the actual game which is a bit worrying.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As much as I think this is a brand new direction for the series, it just isn't resident evil for me. There just isn't enough action. The original resi games had you amassing weapons and taking down bosses while figuring out the environment to progress. This on the other hand seems like an attempt to emulate the recent trend in indie first person horror games.

While I welcome something new this certainly isn't a return to the series roots, it's completely different. I still miss that blend of action and environmental progression of the old resi games, games that had you constantly worried about ammo and save ribbons because they didn't Molly coddle the player and it was possible to leave yourself in an unwinnable position but so well designed that you couldn't really unless you tried but that threat was always there.

Still I'll take it over another attempt at resi 4 that completely misses what made that game so good.

Isn't it a bit presumptuous saying that from the demo though?

The finished game could have plenty of action in it unless they have given a clear description of what the game will be like and I haven't read about it?

It would be awesome if they blended both ideas together as I 'd love a nice FPS shooter / survival game with exploration elements like the demo has.

Here's an interview with the producer Masachika Kawata:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-7-producer-explains-what-the-full-ga/1100-6440991/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0a

An interesting point he makes is that they were making RE7 as a first person game before P.T. was even announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

RE 5 wasn't very good and RE 6 was utter garbage but i'm really interested in 7 after playing the demo.

Sure it leans heavily on PT but PT was one of the better video-game horror things in recent years and Silent Hills isn't going to happen now that Konami are terrible so let Capcom have at it.

It has almost convinced me to preorder a PSVR.

Doge wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit presumptuous saying that from the demo though?

Yes it is but I very much doubt going by the demo that the gameplay is going to change much considering it is a demonstration of the final product.

Not that I have any problem with where this is going, it's refreshing to see Capcom take such a radical departure from their usual fair (the original RE was the same, so much so that Capcom veterans voiced their dislike for the game) but it's definitely not a return to RE's roots. I kind of miss games like the old RE series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

Residen Evil Biohazard Demo hit 2 million downloads on PS4, breaks a PS4 record!!!!

Advertisement