Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Burren

Options
  • 15-06-2016 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

So who's doing it this weekend??

this will be my first time whats it like? and what if its raining on saturday what will the conditions be like on those twisty country roads??

http://tourdeburren.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'll be missing it this weekend unfortunately. I did the 160km last year, and the 96km the year before that.

What's it like.... great sportive. Fantastic scenery, some tough challenging climbs, tasty food stops and a great atmosphere.

And if it's raining..... it's horrific :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Whats the road surface like on the 160?

Carbon rims friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Carbon rims friendly?

Some of the 2016 route has changed from the last few years, but a common section to both is around Boston. And the road surface was shíte there last year.

I don't have carbon rims so I don't know if it'd be risky using them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I'm doing it too....few of us heading down and staying the weekend. Weather looks like it's going to be nice (yr, met eireann, and of course the weather gurus here on boards) so really looking forward to it. Missed last year due to injury but have done it every year since 2010 I think....stunning part of the world and if the sun shines, that road up the coast looking out over to Inis Oirr is incredible. Even if it rains the burren is still beautiful - and sure it'd be nice warm rain :-) ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Carbon rims friendly?

I did it on carbon rims last year and they survived although if I were doing it again I'd much rather have an aluminium braking surface. It was absolutely torrential last year and braking was a bit hit and miss.

There's not a whole load of climbing but there are a number of drags all manageable.

Very enjoyable event. If it is wet take it easy on the bends. The food stop is a feast :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Doing the 100km this year, did the 56km for the last 2 years so want to move up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I have signed up for the 156km one. I normally only do the ROK, but this year decided to do something different. Struggling with some pain in my knee. But hopefully that doesn't stop me. My mate who was going to do it pulled out , ( had a bad crash, broke arm) so doing it on my own. I am really looking forward to it, although I will probably be the last person over the line at the end of the day :)
    Bisto!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

OP you will enjoy it even if it rains. The biggest enemy is the wind, closely followed by tourist traffic.
    A great day with stunning scenery, top notch food and good craic all along the roads. One of the very best sportivs.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Tour de Burren much more enjoyable this year, thanks to the weather. The rain mercifully held off until almost 1.00 which served to cool us down on the run for home. Well over 2000 in total for the three distances.
    Yes the roads are really bad around Boston, but we met a few horrors elsewhere too. Gravel was the worst problem.

Great day out - did the 100km and found it tough but got it done. Loved the Dutch corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my first one, but not the last...very well run, well done to all involved in organising it

nice sweater too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Did the 104km for my first ever long cycle, oh my god!! It was hard going, but people were so nice ☺
    Only thing was the tourist car that tried to kill me, on a continuous white line facing a bend, went to overtake and realised it wouldn't make it so pulled in on top of me! It actually brushed off my leg but kept going!
    Love my new hoody 😆😆😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Did the 104k. Weather was great. Dutch corner was hilarious. Went out early so was on my own going through.... absolute madness...fog horns and all. Was smiling the whole way around. Lovely hoody too. Thanks to Clare Burren Partnership...always put on a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

The wife got some footage today of the Dutch Corner - what a great idea to have this on a sportive....was absolutely brilliant!

(don't know how to embed....here's the link: https://youtu.be/0ZtgYNs5_IM )

So I did this yesterday. I did the 156km. It was tough, but I think that's because I did it on my own. I am not sure whether I will do it again or not.
    The first food stop wasn't sign posted, thankfully I was going so slow I didn't miss it, but a lot of people over shot it.
    Then for the next section everyone I seemed to get chatting too was wrecked or struggling and giving out about it . And contemplating cutting the distance short. This was just negative energy. Is it normal for sportives to advertise routes to cut the distance short? I found this tough to take, as I was intent on doing the full 156, even though I was struggling, trying to stay positive and motivated to do it all.
    Then at the second food stop in Lisdoonvarna I had a good feed, had some cheesecake. I don't know what the hype about it was, the base was so thin you couldn't even pick it up with out it falling apart. But it was still nice, I ate it whilst chatting to a guy who was going to cut his cycle short, or try get a lift back. Anyway from Lisdoonvarna to ballyvaughan it got cold and wet. But the improved road surface and nice climb over the cliffs of moher, and the spectacular views on the finishing stretch really made the last segment easy. I felt like this was my fastest stage.

Anyways, overall good day, good organisation, but really disappointed with people. Maybe it's normal that at the tall end of these sportives are people who should not have done it. I was probably the last of the 156km people back , crossing the line at 4:20, but that doesn't bother me. Even on the finish about 14 km to go, I got chatting to a girl doing the 100k who was contemplating putting the bike in trailer and getting a lift back, I just kept jabbering away to her for a few km till the van and trailer passed us. But it was this general attitude of cutting distance short, and taking the easy way out, that really annoyed me, I was struggling and people who were contemplating taking the easy way out were all passing me out! Just seemed odd.

PS the people in ballyvaughan have been fantastic.

Pss saw a guy on the ground outside fr Ted's house, and ambulance passed by out to him. Not nice to see, hopefully he is OK and it's nothing serious.

Had the same - my buddy found the start of the 100km so though that at 24km in he said he was going to cut it short and do the 70km shortcut back, talked him out of it though but we had 2 of our group take the shortcut back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i think getting back for the match on time played on a lot of people's minds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

So I did this yesterday. I did the 156km. It was tough, but I think that's because I did it on my own. I am not sure whether I will do it again or not.
    The first food stop wasn't sign posted, thankfully I was going so slow I didn't miss it, but a lot of people over shot it.
    Then for the next section everyone I seemed to get chatting too was wrecked or struggling and giving out about it . And contemplating cutting the distance short. This was just negative energy. Is it normal for sportives to advertise routes to cut the distance short? I found this tough to take, as I was intent on doing the full 156, even though I was struggling, trying to stay positive and motivated to do it all.
    Then at the second food stop in Lisdoonvarna I had a good feed, had some cheesecake. I don't know what the hype about it was, the base was so thin you couldn't even pick it up with out it falling apart. But it was still nice, I ate it whilst chatting to a guy who was going to cut his cycle short, or try get a lift back. Anyway from Lisdoonvarna to ballyvaughan it got cold and wet. But the improved road surface and nice climb over the cliffs of moher, and the spectacular views on the finishing stretch really made the last segment easy. I felt like this was my fastest stage.

Anyways, overall good day, good organisation, but really disappointed with people. Maybe it's normal that at the tall end of these sportives are people who should not have done it. I was probably the last of the 156km people back , crossing the line at 4:20, but that doesn't bother me. Even on the finish about 14 km to go, I got chatting to a girl doing the 100k who was contemplating putting the bike in trailer and getting a lift back, I just kept jabbering away to her for a few km till the van and trailer passed us. But it was this general attitude of cutting distance short, and taking the easy way out, that really annoyed me, I was struggling and people who were contemplating taking the easy way out were all passing me out! Just seemed odd.

PS the people in ballyvaughan have been fantastic.

Pss saw a guy on the ground outside fr Ted's house, and ambulance passed by out to him. Not nice to see, hopefully he is OK and it's nothing serious.

I hope you recover from above trauma.
    How about just enjoying the ride? I love County Clare myself.
    Just sayin' ......

Sounds like you were making the best effort to ruin your own day.

Who cares what others do is a cycle they paid for and can choose how they would like to enjoy it. Some people will be doing it for the first time and realise quite quickly that they shouldve entered a shorter distance.

If you're going to enter a supportive solo you'd want to be mentally stronger than needing the positive vibes of others to get you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Isn't there some bylaw that you have to have a good moan when on a tough Sportive?

E.G.
    That last hill was a right see you next Tuesday!
    I'm taking up golf!
    I hate littering pr1cks
    Why did I go for the long route?
    Is this Hill EVER going to end?
    This drag is a b1tch!
    Me arse is killing me!
    Ah here... I'm fecked!
    etc.

The banter/moaning is most of the craic and makes the time go quicker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Isn't there some bylaw that you have to have a good moan when on a tough Sportive?

E.G.
    That last hill was a right see you next Tuesday!
    I'm taking up golf!
    I hate littering pr1cks
    Why did I go for the long route?
    Is this Hill EVER going to end?
    This drag is a b1tch!
    Me arse is killing me!
    Ah here... I'm fecked!
    etc.

The banter/moaning is most of the craic and makes the time go quicker!

I prefer 99s to fake magnums. : (

Trauma, what trauma are you speaking about?
    I pushed myself, enjoyed the ride, the last stage was spectacular as stated. Don't see how I did my best to ruin the day, or not enjoy the cycle. I understand there is a lot of banter moaning. There is a big difference from moaning that makes you want to slit your wrists. I either pushed on or dropped back so I didn't have to listen to them.

Trauma, what trauma are you speaking about?
    I pushed myself, enjoyed the ride, the last stage was spectacular as stated. Don't see how I did my best to ruin the day, or not enjoy the cycle. I understand there is a lot of banter moaning. There is a big difference from moaning that makes you want to slit your wrists. I either pushed on or dropped back so I didn't have to listen to them.

If it's recognition you are after you finished the cycle in 4:20 so you were averaging about 33-35kp/h. I doubt you were last home either way congratulations.

I would imagine a lot of people were glad to see you pass/drop back if you were voicing similar opinions on during the cycle.

It was a sportive by all means push on yourself don't expect others to work as you out front riders.

Plenty of pricks on sportives either end of the scale. Try find a happy middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If it's recognition you are after you finished the cycle in 4:20 so you were averaging about 33-35kp/h. I doubt you were last home either way congratulations.

I would imagine a lot of people were glad to see you pass/drop back if you were voicing similar opinions on during the cycle.

It was a sportive by all means push on yourself don't expect others to work as you out front riders.

Plenty of pricks on sportives either end of the scale. Try find a happy middle ground.

I think it may have meant it finished at 16:20..... username any type of clue to general attitude in life maybe? :P

One thing I did find strange was there was no food at the end (or if there was I never found it), I was starving coming in and looking forward to a hang sangidge and some fruit cake and all I got was a poxy ice cream :)

iwillhtfu wrote:

Haha haha I crossed the finish line at twenty past four, after leaving at 8.45 ! I sure as hell wasn't averaging that speed !

Not looking for any recognition. It's just me on my own personal journey!

iwillhtfu wrote:

No negative opinions, words or actions were cited it done out of me on the cycle. No one needs negativity when you are pushing yourself. I was positive , having a bit of banter with lots of people.

No negative opinions, words or actions were cited it done out of me on the cycle. No one needs negativity when you are pushing yourself. I was positive , having a bit of banter with lots of people.

You'll find all sorts on a cycle when you're breezing along and having a bit of craic with someone in the hurt locker don't be surprised if you get the "would you ever feck off conversation"

Similar may happen to yourself by another rider finding the going grand when you're struggling.

Some lads hate the fast lads
    Some lads hate the slow lads
    Some lads hate cyclists
    and some lads hate everything.

Try be happy in your own little bubble and enjoy your journey. :)

iwillhtfu wrote:
    Try be happy in your own little bubble and enjoy your journey.
    That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

first time doing this one. enjoyed it but found it tough at times. road surface was so bad at times. did it with a group but we split up at various times so got chatting to lots of random people along the way which to me is what makes an event great. I can spin with the club any week but having a chat with others makes it different. well organised, loved dutch corner but would have perferred another on along cliffs of moher to keep me going a bit better on this stretch. saw very little litter on the roads - must be a first. lovely hoodie and well welcomed at the stage I got in, very wet and starting to get cold - didn't realise we were getting anything. scenery everything that was promised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Except for the cheesecake... . Now that was a pure disgrace. Tut Tut.

Advertisement