Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ashton Dog Pound - ParvoVirus

• 15-06-2016 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

We got a dog from Ashton Dog Pound on Monday, a little terrier cross. He was very thin but seemed nice, he wasn't eating or drinking (but I just put this down to him being in a new environment). By Tuesday morning he was so sick, he just lay around, didn't eat or drink, so we took him down to the vet. It turns out he had ParvoVirus (which I had never heard of before), and according to the vet he had had it for quite a while, as he was quite far gone already. He died last night.
    I am disgusted that Ashton Dog Pound didn't notice that this dog was not eating, had a runny tummy, was vomiting, and coughing, and still let us take the dog.
    This disease is very contagious and extremely hard to treat (accoring to the vet). I just want to warn anyone who got a dog from Ashton that they may have contracted Parvo, and to have their dog checked out. And anyone considering getting a dog from there to be aware of this outbreak, which according to the Vet must have spread and due to the stage the virus was with our dog, must have been around for a while.
    Although our other dog is up to date with her vaccinations, there is still a possibility that she may get sick, so I am also quite worried about her.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP,
    I'm so sorry to hear what has happened. I'm sure it's not what you want to do right now but you absolutely must as a matter of priority contact the pound and let them know. At the very least ask your vet to do it. Your dog will have been there some time and it could already have spread to other dogs in the pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Unfortunately, as pounds take strays in off the streets, parvo isn't uncommon in them. I'm really sorry that you and this poor dog have had to go through this. As Cherry Blossom says, I would let Ashton know.

Regarding the signs of illness, again, a lot of dogs in a pound situation are so stressed that they may display these signs without there being any clinical reason.

Usually with parvo any area in a kennel that has had a dog in it with the disease will be disinfected and no dog should go on it for 6 months, but with a pound, that just isn't practical. With the amount of stray and surrendered dogs, they have to go somewhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

I have contacted the pound, and realise that disease can spread quite rapidly in there, so I just hope that they follow up, letting others who may have got a dog from them recently know. It's not a nice thing to find out, and then be worried about your other dogs. I just want to get the word out, because it is apparently very contagious. A good wake up call also to make sure that your dogs are up to date with their annual injections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kig wrote: »
    A good wake up call also to make sure that your dogs are up to date with their annual injections.

Nitpicking but Parvo is vaccinated against every 3 years...or whatever a titre test dictates. My boy has immunity so doesn't need to be vaccinated for it - hopefully never again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

kig wrote: »
    I have contacted the pound, and realise that disease can spread quite rapidly in there, so I just hope that they follow up, letting others who may have got a dog from them recently know. It's not a nice thing to find out, and then be worried about your other dogs. I just want to get the word out, because it is apparently very contagious. A good wake up call also to make sure that your dogs are up to date with their annual injections.

You need to be very careful with your other dog now. I would get a disinfectant that is specifically for animals that says it covers parvo, ask your vet or there are a few you can buy on line. Mistral is an excellent one, with quick delivery as it comes from NI and it comes in lots of lovely smells.

• Advertisement
Advertisement