Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Will i need to do a driver theory test ?

• 15-06-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies in advance for such a basic question.

I've read all the stickies, RSA guidelines etc but the requirement on the theory test isn't all that clear for those looking to add a category to an existing licence.

I'm 42 and i've been driving cars on a full licence since I was 17.

I understand that I will need to get a learner permit and complete an IBT course before I can ride on the road. Then after 6 months riding I can go for my test.

I even have an appt with NDLS this afternoon to get the ball rolling on the permit but someone told me i'll need to pass the theory test first.

No worries if i do. I'll just have to cancel my appt for this afternoon and go get that first...

So can you anyone let me know ? Do I need to complete a theory test to add an A category to my existing licence ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

I'm no expert but I think it's Theory Test, IBT and then you apply for your provisional A. Then you've to wait 6mths to do the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I'm no expert but I think it's Theory Test, IBT and then you apply for your provisional A. Then you've to wait 6mths to do the test

Thanks..

Pretty sure it's in this order...

1) Pass the motorcycle/moped theory test
    2) Get a learner permit for the category you wish to get a full licence for
    3) Complete Initial Basic Training (IBT)
    4) Pass the motorcycle driving test after a minimum of 6 months

I just can't get any clarification on the theory test. The RSA states that you won't have to do a theory test twice. I already passed a theory section of the test when I completed it in 1991.

I don't mind doing the test again if I have to. The theory is just common sense anyway.

I do mind paying for the privilege though so won't do it again unless it's compulsory..

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think that you will need the theory test. Best way to know for sure is to call the RSA.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I think that you will need the theory test. Best way to know for sure is to call the RSA.

You're probably correct.

I have an appointment with NDLS at 4 so will just attend and see what happens.

Thanks.

So for anyone searching for an answer on this in future...

Yes, you will need to resit the theory exam in order to add an A category to your licence.

Cheers all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Swanner wrote: »
    So for anyone searching for an answer on this in future...

Yes, you will need to resit the theory exam in order to add an A category to your licence.

Cheers all..

For the record, there are many people that wouldn't have to but it depends on several factors. The big question is whether someone took the DTT between 2001 and 2006 (ie for the car or smaller bike) and if they went on to either pass their practical test or have a break in their permits of no greater than 5 years. If you can answer yes to these questions, then there's every chance someone will be exempt from the DTT.

cantdecide wrote: »
    For the record, there are many people that wouldn't have to but it depends on several factors. The big question is whether someone took the DTT between 2001 and 2006 (ie for the car or smaller bike) and if they went on to either pass their practical test or have a break in their permits of no greater than 5 years. If you can answer yes to these questions, then there's every chance someone will be exempt from the DTT.

Fair enough. It needs to be looked at on a case by case basis I suppose.

Anyway, i'm booked in now for a couple of weeks time.

Does anyone know if there are any resources for motorcycle specific theory training ?

I can find plenty of resources for standard driving theory but none that's motorcycle specific for the motorcycle test.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Fair enough. It needs to be looked at on a case by case basis I suppose.

Anyway, i'm booked in now for a couple of weeks time.

Does anyone know if there are any resources for motorcycle specific theory training ?

I can find plenty of resources for standard driving theory but none that's motorcycle specific for the motorcycle test.

Thanks

Your local library will have the book and dvd. The DTTS has an online resource that you have to pay for

http://www.theorytest.ie/online-test-preparation-resource/

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I wouldn't bother paying for the materials. I spent a couple of hours doing free practice tests and got 39/40.

Most of it is reading comprehension.

Know the rules about children driving tractors and what to do in the event of a multi vehicle collision where nobody is hurt :-)

Cheers guys..

I always forget about the library...Will drop down there later... Cheers..

Tried a few of the online mock tests and all seems pretty straightforward so i'll keep hammering away at them..

But it seems the motorcycle and car theory are one of the same which makes this test nothing more then a money making racket for those that are forced to pay to resit it..

If my knowledge of driving theory has been good enough to drive a car every day, safely, for the last 25 years, you would think it would be good enough to ride a motorcycle but then I suppose they wouldn't get to extract €45 of my hard earned cash.

I don't mind sitting the test at all. I only have a problem with paying for it.

I also completely agree with the IBT modules and have no problem paying for them as it's important to learn specific motorcycle skills but it's a shame the government always have to stick the arm in, kill off any good will and take money from us for no good reason. They just can't help themselves.

Anyway, on the upside i'll be paying them a lot less motor tax from next year on :)

Cheers all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But it seems the motorcycle and car theory are one of the same which makes this test nothing more then a money making racket for those that are forced to pay to resit it..

If my knowledge of driving theory has been good enough to drive a car every day, safely, for the last 25 years, you would think it would be good enough to ride a motorcycle but then I suppose they wouldn't get to extract €45 of my hard earned cash.
    I'm fairly sure there are some variations in questions on the motorcycle theory test vs car test.

I actually quite enjoyed reading the ROTR again despite passing my car test about 23 years ago, and I learned some "new" things. For instance, quite shamefully I didn't know that it was legal to enter and stop in a yellow box when waiting to turn right, and that's something that came in useful on my IBT.

Lumen wrote: »
    I actually quite enjoyed reading the ROTR again despite passing my car test about 23 years ago, and I learned some "new" things. For instance, quite shamefully I didn't know that it was legal to enter and stop in a yellow box when waiting to turn right, and that's something that came in useful on my IBT.

I don't mind doing the test at all and like you, i'm learning lots of stuff i'd either forgotten or never knew in the first place...

It's definitely a good refresher and obviously a must for all new drivers.

I'm just having a moan about having to pay for it... again..

Anyway, I'm booked in for next Saturday so hopefully can get the learner permit sorted and then will look to doing IBT in sometime in September / October.

Advertisement