Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 10 - who's made the move?

• 15-06-2016 2:20pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well the one thing that was abundantly clear with the Microsoft conference is that Windows 10 is about to see a lot of big name releases as they're pushing their "buy once, play anywhere" idea hard.

I've not taken the plunge yet, have been running Win 8 for some time without stress but am not opposed to moving to Win 10 especially as a freebie. So how many have made the switch and are happy? How many rolled back and why?

Did you switch to Win 10? 121 votes

Yes and I'm happy
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, but I'm not happy
    75% 91 votes
    Yes, but I was so unhappy I rolled back
    5% 7 votes
    I haven't switched yet but probably will
    3% 4 votes
    I'm not switching
    15% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I made the switch with the insider program back when and it was very buggy. Games ran like a mule so I ended up going back to 7. Then about 3 months ago I went back to Windows 10 and ever since I wouldn't go back.

It's smooth and easy to use, some very nice add ons and programs, games run great and it seems to be very quick.

I did upgrade hardware at the time so don't know how much is down to that.

I recently put in a new Mobo and processor, I didn't even need to reinstall windows, the files just updated which was pretty sweet.

It trumps windows 7 in every way. Never used windows 8 so can't comment on that but from what I have read and reviewed, Windows 8 was particularly bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I switched a good while ago when they rolled it out for free. I've been pretty happy with it, it has some eccentricities to get used to but it works great.

I'm not a power user, I haven't really used any of the new features, as long as it lets me use my programs that I've always been using and doesn't annoy me with interruptions I'm happy enough.

Haven't encountered any issues with gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Upgraded from Windows 8.1 around December last year, some time after the first major update.

Didn't have any major issues back then. Don't have any major issues now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

OSI wrote: »
    I've had it running pretty much since it went public. No reason to fault it performance or stability wise, and in terms of functionality and design it's miles ahead of Windows 8 while still managing to show MS haven't a damn clue how to make a cohesive system anymore.
    Ya, they've put in some pointless windows in between what you actually want to get to. The settings menu and devices being a prime example. Why have a devices window that can't really do anything and then a link at the bottom to go to the actual devices window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Upgraded from windows 7 day one to windows 10. Not a hiccup. The "one" minor thing was issues with Fallout 4, but then a quick google and I had a fix. But that is like, minor, as I played the game a few hours and havn't gone back.

It's a performance boost over W7, and I really got quickly used to the interface and layout and really like it.

I'm still using W7 on my HTPC, and plan to upgrade that shortly to W10 also.

I had Windows 8 on a work laptop and thought it was the biggest load of **** OS I'd ever seen. Made it my business to upgrade my work laptop and desktop to W10 also.

So safe to say I'm pretty happy with it and no issues to report.

Worth noting I did a fresh install on my main PC, and just upgrade installs on my work machines

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I switched over a few months ago, and for the most part, i'm happy. A few niggling issues with switching displays and the audio on said displays, and i didn't like how many steps were required to shut off all the privacy features, but it runs very well, and i've had very few issues with any games since the change.

I skipped Windows 8 all together on my gaming machine, after absolutely hating it on my laptop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I made the move and had 0 issues. I thought it was worth it alone just to get a proper start menu back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The only negative I would say about W10, and this isn't really a reflection on it, is that a lot of the older games I'd love to go back and play (like X-Wing etc) require a lot of work to get going, but that's really not a fault on the OS. I may just boot up an older PC for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Poll is missing a "I switched and it's aight" option.

I did have a while where I had to battle Windows to stop it from overwriting my up-to-date driver with one from early 2015.

I am noticing a phenomenon where it seems to have two different version of a lot of system screens. One for my mom and one for anyone who knows what they're actually doing. Like, you can see a list of programs and uninstall from two largely identical menus - one old-fashioned and one Windows 10ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If my system can run 8.1 it can run 10? Was going to upgrade but then my GPU decided to quit on me so now I'm using my old 210 card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

I only upgraded yesterday. Decided I'd better do it before I forgot and missed the free upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If my system can run 8.1 it can run 10? Was going to upgrade but then my GPU decided to quit on me so now I'm using my old 210 card.

You can run Windows 10 on pretty much anything. I upgraded an ancient machine from Windows XP and I swear it seems to be running faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Haven't yet... probably never will. No interest. My windows 7 installation's days are numbered as it is. That SSD it's on is going to get formatted this decade to make even more space for linux stuff. Only time I'll use W10 on my own systems is in a virtual machine for testing or something. Tekken 7's already on steam which means it's not DX12 exclusive so the only thing that would ever make me even consider using W10 natively on my hardware isn't an issue anymore.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I should add - and further to Castor Troy's questions, I have it installed on a laptop that's 6 years old (a dual core Turion chip with 2GB of RAM) and it'd definitely running quicker than the previous Win 7 instal that was on it. The laptop only gets used on rare occasions so I've not spent any real time tinkering with it, but at the same time, I haven't needed to. The upgrade process was painless and all my desktop icons and various other profile settings etc were ported over with no fuss as were any bits of software I had running. I was able to record a podcast with it 30 minutes after the upgrade using Audacity with no problems, it even kept and registered the Lame MP3 encoder codec in the registry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I didn't bother upgrading the OS on this PC because I was on the verge of a brand new build anyway. Thing is, I've been on the verge of this new build for 18 months or so now. :o I've finally gotten the money together, so just need to do a bit of decorating in my study/office before ordering parts. The new machine will definitely be W10.

I have a spare copy of Win7 somewhere around here, but I'm guessing I've missed out on the free upgrade option now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I upgraded from Win 8, Sometimes the window key or start button wont work, At times I cant use the volume keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Dair76 wrote: »
    I didn't bother upgrading the OS on this PC because I was on the verge of a brand new build anyway. Thing is, I've been on the verge of this new build for 18 months or so now. :o I've finally gotten the money together, so just need to do a bit of decorating in my study/office before ordering parts. The new machine will definitely be W10.

I have a spare copy of Win7 somewhere around here, but I'm guessing I've missed out on the free upgrade option now?

Nope, you have until the 29th of July.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not changed yet but my PC is due probably before end of the month simply to get it done with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Argh, clicked the 'Yes, but I'm not happy option' by mistake. Should've been the first option. :o

Moved all my devices over to Win10 as soon as I could and very happy with it (only had one gripe below). It's miles better than Win 8, not hard some might say. Boots faster, looks nicer, Start bar back. Still shocked when I see anyone using Win 7 these days (looks ancient by comparison).

One problem I did have (nothing to do with gaming) was I also use it on the work laptop and could not connect to the internet (wired or wirelessly) after the upgrade. I found out it was because of a Cisco VPN client I had installed (and need for work). Had to roll back, remove the VPN, upgrade again and all was fine.

Definitely worth upgrading while it's still free imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Went to Windows 10, immediately disabled all the bloaty crap and installed Classic Shell as well as adding in the Reg Edit entry to put back Volume Mixer in. My Windows 10 pretty much now looks like Windows 7 but with whatever added benefits Windows 10 has to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Still on 7.

Don't want to break what doesn't need fixing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Built my PC last year, got 8.1 but upgraded straight away. Have had no issues whatsoever, all games have ran without issues so I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

still on 7, i might switch at some point, i have however got win 10 on laptop after hearing most are liking it, will see how goes, then decide on the main rig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm going to Server 2016 to get DX12 with less of the crap that 10 brings to the game. Assuming no major 3rd party licensing issues it'll be a very nice best of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Switched pretty much the first second I could. I really like it, very fast and stable with lots of nice features.

Not sure if console streaming was possible on 7&8 but it works flawlessly on 10, I use it a lot to play when the tv has been overtaken or I'm at work.

Voice activation works really well too it can find and boot games while I'm digging around for controllers or going to make a cuppa. I just pop my head in the door and tell it to open and it's running when I get back.

As MS seem to be pushing their Xbox exclusives to 10 as a platform of its own I'm happy.

I think I'll pull the trigger this weekend so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shiminay wrote: »
    I think I'll pull the trigger this weekend so :)

If its your main PC/machine I'd probably recommend a fresh install. I formatted my C: and after the upgrade my other SSD's were recognised fine, all worked, and all applications worked fine.

Did the upgrade on my work stuff, and that was also fine. I guess the general consensus is just doing a fresh install. I also did it since I'd a few various OS installs on C and wanted to just ditch them all

*nods* yea, tis always better to do it fresh I suppose. Will see how much time I have, that may necessitate the upgrade rather than a wipe. Can you download a Win10 installer anywhere and just plug a Win 8.1 key in to validate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Switched pretty much as soon as Win10 came out. Had no issue with the upgrade on my other half's laptop, nor the fresh install on her desktop, although my desktop - for some reason - decided to be a knob for thirty minutes doing a fresh install. But other than that, not looked back. She's happy with Win10 (even though she was slow to upgrade for her desktop to maintain flight-sim software compatibility), and I'm happy with Win10.

Beats the snot out of Win7 or Win8/8.1; if I want to run old games or mess about with other operating systems I use the bundled HyperVM manager for setting up virtual machines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Still on 7.

Don't want to break what doesn't need fixing!

my own scenerio:

I have TWO laptops

One was upgraded from Windoze 8.1 to 10 : this machine is in a list that is not recommended to upgrade to Windoze 10. Should have done my homework first.

One has Windows 7 Home Premium: great for games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Been using win10 for a while. Never had a serious issue until an update yday, deleted my creative x-fi soundcard. Cannot get it back. Tried everything I can think of. Using the onboard realtek audio.

huhhhh.... That's less comforting. I have a Behringer Xenyx 1024 mixing desk that's treated as an external sound card that I absolutely cannot afford to not have working cause that's how I record podcasts. Will have to do some reading to see if anyone else using them has had any problems.

Do you reckon it's a case of Windows not allowing what it thinks is incorrect drivers as was reported for people with nVidia graphics driver problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Shiminay wrote: »
    huhhhh.... That's less comforting. I have a Behringer Xenyx 1024 mixing desk that's treated as an external sound card that I absolutely cannot afford to not have working cause that's how I record podcasts. Will have to do some reading to see if anyone else using them has had any problems.

Do you reckon it's a case of Windows not allowing what it thinks is incorrect drivers as was reported for people with nVidia graphics driver problems?
    I have a Creative ZxR in my Windows 10 machine and I haven't had any trouble since the upgrade. That being said, Creative aren't exactly known for having the best drivers (or software for that matter) so it's equally likely that it's an issue on their end as it is on the Windows side.

Definitely check that your card is supported though, there have been issues with some older higher end external audio devices not having drivers that support Win10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I've the weekend free enough, so will spend time trying to figure it all out. Bizarre though.

Yea, I had an internal creative card that crapped out and its software was always terribly clunky. Lots of reading ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Like gizmo, I've got a ZxR; I had an X-Fi before that through Win7/8 installs; and to be honest whislt I've never had any issues whatsoever with the ZxR, Creative really dragged their feet with the X-Fi drivers through Win Vista/7/8; although they did eventually get around to releasing a better driver (for ages Creative just ran with a generic driver whilst promising people they'd sort out the driver issues and took their sweet time about it).

If you've got hardware you're feeling twitchy about Shiminay, could always have a tinker around with a VM on your current OS and see see how well the hardware plays with the hosted OS, witha view to installing Win 10 and running a VM if need be to run your recording hardware through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Lemming wrote: »
    Beats the snot out of Win7
    No chance.

7 has been the best OS since XP.

10 looks promising, but after the disaster that was 8...

I've also had to make registry edits on my desktop in work because a windows 10 update caused a memory leak which hasn't been addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I switched to 10 pretty much a couple of days after my old rig was given the go ahead for the free upgrade. And when I moved to my new rig, I just went ahead with Win 10 right from the get go. Apart from a couple of file permission issues on the non-system drive, I've never had any issues with it for gaming.

So some reading has been done, there have been several reports of people with various models of the sound desk I have experiencing difficulties with Win 10, so I've a bit more reading to do to see how many are resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I finally decided to summon up the required interest to spend a couple of days making the change to Win 10 a couple of months back. Did a reset to factory once it upgraded from 7 and installed all the latest drivers one by one to make sure I'd get no hassles. I happened to get a new motherboard and cpu last year too which I'm sure helped.
    Haven't been using the pc much since but the bit I have, I've liked. It's very quick and makes sense to navigate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm holding off mainly because they scrapped Media Center and I watch TV a lot on my PC besides gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

The last post has reminded me that Windows Movie Maker 2012 is not supported by Microsoft in Windows 10.

Instead, Microsoft assume you are going to be using microsoft powerpoint with your windows 10 installation, and you install "Office Mix" - a movie making 'add - on' for Powerpoint 2013 and above.
    I tried Office Mix. Piece of sh*t.
    I use Windows Movie Maker on Windows 7 in editing half of my movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭DopeTech

CastorTroy wrote: »

We cannot say for definite but pretty much all windows 7 and above devices are capable of windows 10. A quick Google search of your PC make/model should tell you either way.

I got a new laptop and due to it being a high spec model with a good resolution on it, low DPI, some icons and menus don't appear correctly. They are either blurred or usually small. After doing some research I found out that its a flaw in windows 8.1 and above and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. Would have thaught twice if I had known this before shelling on €900 on a new laptop. Overall I was quite happy with windows 7. Most the new additions in windows 10 I have either switched off, don't use or don't like.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Kiith wrote: »
    I switched over a few months ago, and for the most part, i'm happy. A few niggling issues with switching displays and the audio on said displays, and i didn't like how many steps were required to shut off all the privacy features, but it runs very well, and i've had very few issues with any games since the change.

I skipped Windows 8 all together on my gaming machine, after absolutely hating it on my laptop.

I don't like how, on installation, it's "advanced installation" JUST to correct the privacy settings.

It's blatantly tricking people.

Other than that it's a good windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

If anyone is worried about the default privacy settings in Win 10 you can follow this guide
    during and/or after installation.
    https://fix10.isleaked.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I have noticed an odd problem since upgrading to Windows 10. In two games I play (Dirty Bomb and Overwatch) map loading times take considerably longer than they did a couple of weeks ago in Windows 7. These are multiplayer FPS games so it is frustrating and a big enough deal that you are only getting into a game 2 minutes behind everyone else. It kind of defeats the purpose of buying a decent SSD to run games from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Haven't been bothered to switch from 8.1 (which, bar the bizarre UI decisions is nothing like as bad as people make out), because I have a lot of IDEs and editing software set up the way I like it and don't see the point in risking any interruptions. I'll be getting a new laptop later this year though, which will presumably come with 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Hi, downloading win 10, have win 8.1 on year old dell insperon 15. After about 70% down load

win couldn't be installed error code 80072EFE

any help appreciated

ps I have very slow wi fi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,239 ✭✭✭✭briany

Windows 10 runs lovely on my main tower, but it runs horribly on my laptop so I reverted to 7 there. On the laptop it does a number of weird things, including not playing very nice with my wireless card at all.

Big C wrote: »
    Hi, downloading win 10, have win 8.1 on year old dell insperon 15. After about 70% down load

win couldn't be installed error code 80072EFE

any help appreciated

ps I have very slow wi fi

It looks like it's your slow internet: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows7/windows-update-error-80072efe-or-80072f76

Take it off the WiFi and run a network cable into the router to see if that helps.

I realised yesterday that I'm some plank and that since I have Win 10 on my Laptop I can check if the mixing desk is picked up and running properly on that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement