Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not PRTB registered.

Options
  • 15-06-2016 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have been renting in our current accommodation for the last 6 years, I've just checked the PRTB database and it appears our property is not on the list and has never been registered.

Is this a legal requirement and what could happen to our LL if I was to inform the necessary department?

The house is managed through a management company so i find this very strange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

He would receive a fine for not registering. Not being registered has no bearing on your tenancy or your rights, you can still make use of the RTB without having been registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

He would receive a fine for not registering. Not being registered has no bearing on your tenancy or your rights, you can still make use of the RTB without having been registered.

Thanks, what kind of fine are we looking at would you know?

Is there a reason you are considering reporting him or is it just out of badness? Unless you are having problems then there is absolutely no reasons to go trying to get him in trouble.

Penalties up to €3,000 can be applied by the court. I've seen a story of one where a landlord who refused to acknowledge the authority of the PRTB given a fine in court of 3k. Just failing to register and complying straight may be the fee of €180 rather than €90, but I'm not sure on the precedence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

He would not receive a fine for not registering. It is not an offence not to register.

• Advertisement

Is there a reason you are considering reporting him or is it just out of badness? Unless you are having problems then there is absolutely no reasons to go trying to get him in trouble.

Where did i say I was considering reporting him exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭allybhoy

davo2001 wrote: »

?? Eh you are specifically implying it here..

what could happen to our LL if I was to inform the necessary department?
    What kind of fine are we looking at would you know?

"What could happen to our LL were I to inform the necessary department"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi,

We have been renting in our current accommodation for the last 6 years, I've just checked the PRTB database and it appears our property is not on the list and has never been registered.

Is this a legal requirement and what could happen to our LL if I was to inform the necessary department?

The house is managed through a management company so i find this very strange.
    Is the house leased to you by a letting agent or by the landlord? It is up to the landlord to register and they could actually be registered but not entered onto the list by the RTB as the list is not very reliable.

As for penalties, they would most likely have to pay the full fee backdated with any late fees incorporated and might also be fined.
    have you rang or contacted the RTB and have they confirmed that your landlord is not registered?

a management company that owns or manages the estate would not have any obligation to ensure that your tenancy was registered but a letting agent might have that duty if it is in their agreement with your landlord to look after the property but ultimately it is the landlord's responsibility.

DOH!

Not.............. had .............. enough.................. coffee.

Anyways, not going to report him, just seeing what would happen if i did.

• Advertisement

He would not receive a fine for not registering. It is not an offence not to register.

Sorry, shouldn't have said fine, just the increased fee for registering late. There can be a fine for refusing to register following an order from the RTB under clause 144 (3) of the RTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

All that would happen if the o/p reported him is that the RTB would write to the landlord stating that they believed there is a tenancy at the o/p's address and asking why it is not registered.

Advertisement