Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious bang from Cycling Shoes

Options
  • 15-06-2016 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Got soaked last Saturday along with half the country and as usual left the shoes to dry naturally.

However this time there is a serious bang that can be only described only as "tomcat piss"!

Very strange as the shoes are about 2 years old, hit with plenty of soakings and never had a smell from them. I don't have smelly feet either as confirmed by The Chief of Staff.

I removed the insoles which were fine and gave the uppers a good scrubbing with soap. Still the same!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I remember had similar problem, probably is some fungal thing which can f*cking stink to high heaven, you can get sprays that will kill this fungus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Allabaah wrote: »
    Got soaked last Saturday
    was it cat piss you got soaked by?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Allabaah wrote: »

Any suggestions?

Advice I read and used was put them upside down on the top rack of the dishwasher and wash on a normal cycle, without any dishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Have you a chest freezer? If so, place them in it for a couple of days. The low temps should kill the fungus.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

The same thing happened me before after a soaking. I don't have smelly feet but the shoes couldn't be left indoors. Best thing for me was to let the shoes dry fully and then I sprayed them with http://www.wiggle.co.uk/halo-proactive-shoe-odour-eliminator-50ml/?sku=5360708184

It was last chance saloon for those shoes before I binned them, but it worked perfectly. I have to do it again now after the last few days of soakings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Dry them well then stuff them with cat litter (stuff cut of legs from a pair of ladies tights with cat litter and place in shoes) Absorbs moisture and seems to kill smell

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Another one to try is baking soda, sprinkle it all over insides and leave a couple of days. It kills stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

I get the same smell off a everyday pair of shoes ("and I have spotlessly clean feet") will try bread soda?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

This happened to me a couple of years ago. I tried everything. No joy.
    As a last resort, I put them in an old pillow case and washed them in the washing machine. It worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Have you a chest freezer? If so, place them in it for a couple of days. The low temps should kill the fungus.

Do upright freezers not work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Freezer didn't work for me, the dishwasher did, ran the dishwasher empty for another spin after just to clean it out. Might or might not of needed it but just to be sure. I didn't and still wouldn't tell my housemates / gf etc tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Napisan (nappy cleaning soaking solution) works a treat too (and is dirt cheap).

Just be careful if using a dishwasher/washing machine not to put the temperatures too high, a lot of shoes have thermosetting plastics for the heel supports and the like, so when heated a bit and then bashed about the heels will shrink/bend and be pretty much impossible to get comfortable afterwards.

That was an expensive lesson :facepalm:

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

I got soaked again today and so did my shoes (naturally) took out the insoles gave the shoes a run of a hair dryer and put some baby powder in then ,as a runner for years this always worked with drying and refreshing my runners , so no reason it wont work on my shoes ( I hope ) hope this works . worth a try anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

was it cat piss you got soaked by?

It might as well have been! Serious bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

Doeshedare wrote: »
    Advice I read and used was put them upside down on the top rack of the dishwasher and wash on a normal cycle, without any dishes!

Tried this last night and worked treat! Smell gone surprisingly to be honest! I was skeptical but it worked. Cheers!

I might go the full hog and drop them in the freezer as well, to be sure to be sure!

Thanks all for the banter & suggestions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my brother in law once bought a pair of jeans and the instructions on the label explicitly said not to wash them, but to use the freezer method.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Are the products neoprene or do they have any neoprene in them? I think I saw a cyclist with neoprene boots, could have been protective covers.

There's a product called Plss Off made by Rip Curl for smelly wetsuits (bacteria) and booties. But, some of the salty dog surfers reckon the same chemical is in Head and Shoulders shampoo. Hope this helps.

http://www.surfworld.ie/products/rip-curl-piss-off-wetsuit-cleaner-w2poff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Caldesene medicated powder defunkifies hiking boots. Might work for cycling shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I give my shoes a full soapy water wash every not and then and never let shoes dry naturally. Always stuff them with news paper. Gets rid of the damp smell and also they dry quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

my brother in law once bought a pair of jeans and the instructions on the label explicitly said not to wash them, but to use the freezer method.

Instruction not to wash clothes? Wtf???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Danny Baker in Going to Sea in a Sieve mentions a story about clothes that shouldn't be washed. He worked in a record store frequented by Marc Bolan in his glory days. One day, Danny Baker complimented Bolan on the beautiful shirt he was wearing. I think it was a linen shirt with Little Richard hand-painted on it. Something like that. Bolan took the shirt off and gave it to Baker as a present, and left the store bare-chested under his fur coat.

Then Baker went on to leave the one-off artisanal shirt on the floor of his bedroom and his mother scooped it up and put it in the washing machine with all the other clothes he'd left on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

How did you get on with this issue, OP? What did you try and did it work?

The same thing has happened to my shoes after getting thoroughly soaked on Sunday. The smell is a little better today than it was yesterday and I'll try some of the ideas above as the days go by.How did you get on with this issue, OP? What did you try and did it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

stuff the shoes wiith newspaper when drying seems to reduce the smell off mine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

stuff the shoes wiith newspaper when drying seems to reduce the smell off mine

I'll do that the next time they soaked but now that I let them dry naturally I've got this nasty odour that I need to get rid of. The last thing I want to do is have to bin a pair of +€100 shoes that are less than 12 months old. I can smell them as I type. :mad: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'll do that the next time they soaked but now that I let them dry naturally I've got this nasty odour that I need to get rid of. The last thing I want to do is have to bin a pair of +€100 shoes that are less than 12 months old. I can smell them as I type. :mad: :o

Had the exact same prob.soak the shoes in Milton solution overnight.the stuff for babies bottles.few capful in a container big enough for the shoes. Absolutely worked 100 percent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

fairly common for expensive jeans, prevents them fading in the wash

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

dry tea bags work for nasty niffs also ......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

geros29 wrote: »
    Had the exact same prob.soak the shoes in Milton solution overnight.the stuff for babies bottles.few capful in a container big enough for the shoes. Absolutely worked 100 percent.

Trouble is Milton is a bleach and may fade your shoes. Dettol works also but doesn't bleach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

News from the archives of the past (also mentioned by a couple of other posters): When I was growing up back in the Neolithic, shoes were relatively very expensive, so when they got a soaking you always stuffed them with newspaper and left them close (but not too close) to a fire to warm them and dry them; if really wet take the first lot of newspaper out in an hour and replace.
    If you could afford it, you had two pairs of shoes and wore them on alternate days, so neither pair got sweaty without having time to dry out. Made shoes last much, much longer.

Advertisement