Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious bang from Cycling Shoes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mossym wrote: »
    fairly common for expensive jeans, prevents them fading in the wash
    This is that seminal moment when I feel that nobody could be so stupid as to freeze-clean jeans because the whole point of denim is that it's hard-wearing, and surely everyone knows this, but then I realise that deliberately unlearning the fking obvious is a thing amongst young morons and I'm just old.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Lumen wrote: »
    This is that seminal moment when I feel that nobody could be so stupid as to freeze-clean jeans because the whole point of denim is that it's hard-wearing, and surely everyone knows this, but then I realise that deliberately unlearning the fking obvious is a thing amongst young morons and I'm just old.

i've two pairs of jeans that say freeze don't wash, neither have been in my freezer, both have been in the washing machine. They tend not to get worn a lot for that reason.

on the subject of hard wearing, maybe, but you look at jeans shops now, same pair of jeans available in 20 different shades, i guess if you buy them in one shade you want them to stay in that shade. i dunno, i can't get my head around freezing them either

on teh subject of freezing the shoes, having to get rid of a pee smell is pretty common on distance races where people don't tend to stop to relieve the bladder. on doing a bit of reading on this, there was fairly solid arguments that this theory that freezing the shoes killed the bacteria was bull.

took me two goes in the dishwasher with mine but i can confirm it removes the smell. you do need something lemon or something in there to help, a pure water wash didn't work. i had to put plastic over and zip tie it tight around my boa fasteners but they turned were fine afterwards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

and surely you should aspire to a more seminal moment than whether jeans go in the freezer or not? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just to follow up in case anyone ends up with a similar problem.

Having read the suggestions here, I decided to leave the freezer and dishwasher as a last resort for fear of doing some damage to my shoes.

There was some out of date anti-fungal footwear powder (Mycil) in a press so I shook some of than into the shoes after they had dried out completely. After a couple of days the smell had reduced considerably. Then I stuffed them with newspaper and that seemed to get rid of the last of the smell. I've used the shoes a couple of times since and all is well, thankfully.

I'm inclined to suspect that the smell was due to the absolute soaking they got and that I just left them to dry naturally without putting in any special effort (probably because I was also freezing cold when I took them off!). Maybe the smell would have disappeared without any intervention - I'll never know.

Probably the best advice is to dry them as quickly as possible and not leave them lying around damp. The newspaper certainly absorbs the dampness and the anti-fungal powder can't really do much harm - even if it went out of date 6 years ago!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

I stuff them with paper to dry them out and then pour baking soda in ( recommended earlier in the thread) , which has worked so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

Got soaked again on Saturday morning so I stuffed the shoes with paper whilst still wet.

This has worked as no smell today at least. I must say the dishwasher trick gave them a nice cleaning as well as getting rid of the original hummm ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

I just leave mine outside over night (or for a couple of nights) to air dry and it always works, even after are a good soaking when they are smelly after being in a bag for a few hours. When not in use they are outside but sheltered from the rain and it works for me.

Advertisement