Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Extender

Options
  • 15-06-2016 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice, I'm completely stumped.

After getting internet extenders (not the wifi one, the direct ethernet ones) for my office, and seeing the difference in made for one of my computers here, I decided to buy an additional extender for my other computer, also in the office.

So my first computer is a Windows Vista, old computer, which is getting speeds of 20MBps on SpeedTest.net

My new computer is a core i5 newly built machine, and it's getting speeds of 1-2MBps. When I initially plug in the extender and do the test, the test goes up to 20MBps before slowly petering out to 1-2MBps, rendering the internet on there basically unusable - it takes a long time to open up any websites.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or why this could be happening?

I don't understand!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Smiley012 wrote: »
    I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice, I'm completely stumped.

After getting internet extenders (not the wifi one, the direct ethernet ones) for my office, and seeing the difference in made for one of my computers here, I decided to buy an additional extender for my other computer, also in the office.

So my first computer is a Windows Vista, old computer, which is getting speeds of 20MBps on SpeedTest.net

My new computer is a core i5 newly built machine, and it's getting speeds of 1-2MBps. When I initially plug in the extender and do the test, the test goes up to 20MBps before slowly petering out to 1-2MBps, rendering the internet on there basically unusable - it takes a long time to open up any websites.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or why this could be happening?

I don't under

Are you plugging the extender (also referred to as Home Plugs) directly into a wall socket and not into a plugboard or extension lead? These tend to cause problems, but I don't think it would hit them that hard.

If not, then it's possible the signal may be going across a circuit breaker which would also cause a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

It's plugged into the wall directly. I guess it could be going through a circuit breaker, there's nothing else I can think of!

Advertisement