Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting HTPC to tv wirelessly

• 15-06-2016 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

I'm running kodi through openelec (I'm on a dial boot so if it's any easier I can do this through win7).
    My wife no longer wants the PC in the sitting room, how do I wirelessly connect it to an LG smart tv wirelessly. Will I need a raspberry or should I be able to link it with smart share or something like it.
    Also what will the quality be like, will I lose much with a wireless connection.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What you can do is use the current HTPC as a media server, then have another more discreet device like a Chromecast as the client. With the use of your phone you can then browse the media on your Server and select the Chromecast as the client it plays back on, through your TV.

Some people install plex as the server software.

But you can also use others such as EMBY (which is my preference)

Or various DLNA solutions such as Serviio (was my second preference), more options here:

http://www.topnettricks.com/dlna-media-servers-for-windows-8/

You can also use KODI as a Upnp or DLNA host, but it's something they've only really started working on seriously with the latest release (v16) and my understanding is it's more geared towards between KODI clients.

I believe you won't be able to utilise the addons within KODI via Upnp or DLNA. And if that is your intention, you might be looking for something like the Amazon Firestick. Which is as discreet as the Chromecast. Is possible to side load KODI and by all rights, handles it quite well from what I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I use Openelec on the backend HTPC server box with TVtuners installed.
    It is only a dual core P4 of uncertain vintage, but is easily able to handle sending IP TV signals to multiple devices simultaneously.

At each TV I have a small device such as a R-Pi (3 is best) or NUC and these also run Openelec.
    Laptops & PCs can also view LiveTV and stored media and recorded programmes, because all client devices are set to record to the backend server machine.

I am presently looking at LibreElec, which is a relatively new fork of Openelec, with a view to using it in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I'm moving my PC so that i can use it for work. It's a dual boot, one side using openelec, the other will be dedicated to windows for work/family. Can someone point me in the direction of an idiot's guide to linking it up wirelessly to my tv either thru a raspberry or Chromecast.
    At the moment I'm using a build but don't mind going back to confluence if it makes things easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

hairyslug wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I'm moving my PC so that i can use it for work. It's a dual boot, one side using openelec, the other will be dedicated to windows for work/family. Can someone point me in the direction of an idiot's guide to linking it up wirelessly to my tv either thru a raspberry or Chromecast.
    At the moment I'm using a build but don't mind going back to confluence if it makes things easier.
    Whether wired or wireless the same set up applies, and the only difference would be the LAN connection from the client device (say R-Pi) to the LAN router/switch to which the PC is connected.
    I would suggest you also use Openelec (at least initially) on the R-Pi, as that will be more familiar and likely easier as a result, to set up.

Advertisement