Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network setup

Options
  • 15-06-2016 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Aside from the 2 mikrotik routers (with 4 ports each) I have no switches or routers.

One of the routers is plugged into the upc 100mb line.

I would like to move my internet, mikrotik router and nas box into the downstairs front room from the upstairs front room.
    What equipment do I need? Below is my current map. I'm afraid that network traffic will suffer. The NAS box is where I would pull most of my vids from and watch it on the TV and WDTV boxes.
    gaZuKrQ.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I'm assuming you cannot move the UPC modem. Replace the upstairs Mikrotik with a gigabit switch and run 2 cables from upstairs front to the downstairs front room (one to feed the Mikrotik the other back up to feed this switch)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I think the UPC modem will work at any of the internet points. Also, the mikrotik routers act as a wifi hotspot, but I'm half thinking a wifi repeater might be easier to manage.

Sniipe wrote: »
    I think the UPC modem will work at any of the internet points. Also, the mikrotik routers act as a wifi hotspot, but I'm half thinking a wifi repeater might be easier to manage.

Repeater? Make sure whatever you use uses a cable to link to the Mikrotik (access point or homeplugs with AP). Do not repeat wireless or you'll cut your wireless bandwidth in half

run 2 cables from upstairs front to the downstairs front room (one to feed the Mikrotik the other back up to feed this switch)
    This is going to be very tricky. The cables are in place. Is there anyway around it with 1 cable?

This is going to be very tricky. The cables are in place. Is there anyway around it with 1 cable?

Not without sacrificing speed. Why not leave the Mikrotik where it is and use the cable to link downstairs, then add a switch and/or AP to extend your network with more ports and wireless if needed. You'll have a gigabit link to downstairs, shouldn't be a bottleneck

• Advertisement

Or move the Mikrotik downstairs and add a switch upstairs linking with the cable you have. Doesn't matter which the NAS plugs into

Currently in the upstairs front:
    • Black box is UPC router,
    • Gray box is 8 port gig switch
    • white box is 4 port mikrotik
    • black box is synology
    4OTK6TE.jpg

Or move the Mikrotik downstairs and add a switch upstairs linking with the cable you have. Doesn't matter which the NAS plugs into

I'm going to try and move the UPC modem, synology and mikrotik downstairs tonight.

Thanks for your advice.

I'm going to try and move the UPC modem, synology and mikrotik downstairs tonight.

Thanks for your advice.

I'd leave the Synology Nas connected to the switch, no advantage in moving it

Making great progress here:
    I installed the upc router into the unused internet point and it works. Delighted!
    I hooked up the mikrotik and the wifi worked. Great.
    I brought the synology downstairs as it was too loud for upstairs.

I did a speed test from the synology, thru the mikrotik, thru the switch upstairs and onto my computer and was getting 40mb a sec. That seems ok, I wish I did a test before hand, but I'm ok with that.

Finally I did a speed test (from comp, thru switch, thru mikrotik, then into upc modem and am getting 37ms, 123down and 12.41up. That seems about average for me.

Cheers for all your help.

I now have to figure out if the synology is ok in confined spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Making great progress here:
    I installed the upc router into the unused internet point and it works. Delighted!
    I hooked up the mikrotik and the wifi worked. Great.
    I brought the synology downstairs as it was too loud for upstairs.

I did a speed test from the synology, thru the mikrotik, thru the switch upstairs and onto my computer and was getting 40mb a sec. That seems ok, I wish I did a test before hand, but I'm ok with that.

Finally I did a speed test (from comp, thru switch, thru mikrotik, then into upc modem and am getting 37ms, 123down and 12.41up. That seems about average for me.

Cheers for all your help.

I now have to figure out if the synology is ok in confined spaces.

They usually have a operating temperature up to around 42 degrees so it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mine has 3 fan settings, quiet, cool and full speed. Might be worth monitoring temps and seeing what works best.

If it's in any way dusty where you have it, I find mine gets clogged up pretty quickly even on the floor in a normal bedroom / office with laminate floors and needs a thorough cleaning 2 or 3 times a year. Something to consider.

Mines running at 30 degrees and disks about 27/28 degrees at the moment.

Advertisement