Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group A, France v Albania, 8PM TV3 & ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

All these extra places in Euros making for some poor early games.

Very little attacking quality on display so far this tournament, it's like watching reserve football at times. Of course the nerves and not wanting to lose ground in the groups is playing a massive part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I've really enjoyed that first half . Credit to Albania. France can't seem to get anything going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

More exciting in my opinion. Never know what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Martial could very easily be dragged at ht
    Definitely - he's chronic. Three times he's let the ball out over the sideline. He over hits a pass for Evra, then under hits one for Giroud, and when France had a huge overlap on the left wing, he never looked up and just toe-poked the ball over the sideline on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It'd be nice if the superstar teams turned up every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A half time story. Didn't Albania arrive in Dublin in 1992 with no gear/strip for a 1994 WC qualifier? Look at them now! Toe to toe with the hosts in 2016. I love football!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The going is soft isn't it? State of the art stadium terrible pitch. Kante and Payet are the only ones giving a decent account but Albania have been terrific as measured against the expected standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

RobertKK wrote: »
    France will need to improve a lot if they are to win the Euros.

I rarely see a team lift that trophy with some bang average players in the side. Some posters here like to big up. Luckily they got a nicely rigged draw by UEFA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

The going is soft isn't it? State of the art stadium terrible pitch. Kante and Payet are the only ones giving a decent account but Albania have been terrific as measured against the expected standard.

Payet has done nothing, nobody on France has done anything. What difference has there been between Kante and Matuidi?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I think most are of the opinion its been the most exciting Euros since 1996!

24 teams is class, but the perfect number, any more would be overkill.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I rarely see a team lift that trophy with some bang average players in the side. Some posters here like to big up. Luckily they got a nicely rigged draw by UEFA.

yeah, sure Ted! How the hell could they have rigged the draw you mad thing!! It was live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Nonsense

Euro 2000 ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Pogba on for Martial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TV3 must have 15 mins of ads during the HT break in their games. Chronic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Sparko

namloc1980 wrote: »
    TV3 must have 15 mins of ads during the HT break in their games. Chronic.

And late back, missed a few seconds there!

yeah, sure Ted! How the hell could they have rigged the draw you mad thing!! It was live!

Did you read the hot/cold ball theory? It's very easy to do. How many bloody times do France end up in the same group as the Swiss. Same with other sides.

There's two ways of looking at it I suppose. All these surprise results make for an exciting competition, but at the same times the games themselves are pretty poor so far, with a few exceptions.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Nonsense

Euro 2000 ftw

There does seem to be a lack of top quality like there was back then.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Nonsense

Euro 2000 ftw

Fair point! Wasnt really thinking there, Quarter finals were pretty poor in that tourny though. But group stage was fascinating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I seem to remember all of them being pretty brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The underdogs have given a great account of themselves for the most part. Hopefully we can continue that against Belgium.

Did you read the hot/cold ball theory? It's very easy to do.

They're hollow plastic balls with a piece of paper inside, that are sitting on stage for a long time before the actual draw starts. Tinfoil hat time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jesus, how close was that??

Ha loved Kevin Kilbane's 'oooooooooh!' there on commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

France were blessed there, they'd wanna wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Insane cross there

Albania giving a far better performance in terms of intent than Ireland could ever hope to muster.

They're hollow plastic balls with a piece of paper inside, that are sitting on stage for a long time before the actual draw starts. Tinfoil hat time.

Is it tinfoil hat time when the former FIFA President alleges it?
    “Of course it’s possible that they can be signalled, by heating or cooling them. It doesn’t happen in Fifa, but I’ve witnessed draws at European level where it has happened, but never in Fifa.

“Of course it can be done, but it never happened under my watch, never.”

Blatter explained how a ‘blind’ draw could be fixed, saying, “Balls are put in the freezer before the draw, at the slightest touch you can tell if the balls are hot or cold.

“By touching them you know exactly what you have.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/14/sepp-blatter-european-competition-draw-was-rigged-by-cooling-balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

I thought he was being sarcastic

• Advertisement

It was Sepp Blatter who said that stuff about the hot and cold balls. As a master of corruption, I think he knows what he's on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

This France team will be hammered after the group stages.

Euro 2004 was really good too.

That Czech team was something else.

It was a pity Greece ruined that potential final between them and Portugal

Is it tinfoil hat time when the former FIFA President alleges it?

Especially when Mr Blatter alleges it!!

Euro 2004 was really good too.

That Czech team was something else.

It was a pity Greece ruined that potential final between them and Portugal

Czech vs Netherlands in that group, Cech made a wondersave from Heitinga, I remember it so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Come on Albania.

Mec27 wrote: »
    Czech vs Netherlands in that group, Cech made a wondersave from Heitinga, I remember it so well.

One of my favorite games ever. The Czech's were 2-0 down I remember telling my mates they'll win 3-2 :-P

Not as good as Juve-Real in 2003. I was a bit of a Nedved fan :)

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I seem to remember all of them being pretty brilliant.

of course , but those 2 were the pick of the bunch, just saying this tourny is really intriguing. I guess the 3rd place chance of qualifying is ensuring teams are really giving there all and confidence is high.

The expansion was always going to be really bad idea or conversely a great idea, and its proved to be the latter thankfully.

Also over the last decade, international football has became increasingly more competitive and although there will always be a couple of teams who stand out, it is starting to develop a trend where there are more and more teams challenging up at the top.

Albania will tire eventually after a first game with 10 men, great effort by them so far

• Advertisement

One of my favorite games ever. The Czech's were 2-0 I remember telling my mates they'll win 3-2 :-P

Not as good as Juve-Real in 2003. I was a bit of a Nedved fan :)

That Czech team must have been one of the most harmonious teams of all time. Chemistry level 100.

Especially when Mr Blatter alleges it!!

Pretty shocking claim though you have to say. I thought it would be the most shocking ball-touching story I'd learn about this week until Joachim Löw proved me wrong.

Still can't believe Albania have held out this long. It would be mad if they nicked a goal.

If people looked at the results around Europe during qualification, this is generally how these games go. Very rarely do you see hammerings between sides from pots 1 to 4. Ireland has this thing where we believe we step up to the big teams but generally every small country puts it up to the bigger nations.

I can see a goal before the 70th minute.
    Be exciting if its Albania but Payet seems to be on the ball more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Most entertaining game of the tourney so far, this. Albania giving it a right go against the les miserables crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

So we want an Albania loss to help us get through on best 3rd place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

jacool wrote: »
    I can see a goal before the 70th minute.
    Be exciting if its Albania but Payet seems to be on the ball more now.

A shot on target before 70 mins is ambitious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Albania doing well here. The "minnows" have been competing very well so far. Doesn't look like anyone is going to get a hiding. Norn Iron have probably been the worst team on show so far, and even they only lost 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That is pathetic from Giroud. Free bloody header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Taking Coman off?

Good Christ.

Toobz wrote: »
    A shot on target before 70 mins is ambitious

does the post count?

• Advertisement
Advertisement