Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping family members using my computer

Options
  • 15-06-2016 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

I have a 13 year old son who is some how able to use my computer when i'm away.

I have a strong windows password yet the little ****** can get past it. I have no idea how.

Its windows 7.

is there a way other than the windows pass word , to lock it down so only I can use the laptop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Chain the lid shut and padlock it? If the kid can get through the password etc, maybe physically securing it is the way to go. A locked cupboard or safe perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,681 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you tried actually changing your password? Does he have a seperate account setup on it, you would see an additional username at login?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Tried changing it. I dont know how hes doing it.

There is no guest account, only mine. As soon I leave, he sneaking around it.

There must be a program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Windows will give u a hint if u enter it incorrectly a few times. If the hint is obvious he might have got it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I have a 13 year old son who is some how able to use my computer when i'm away.

I have a strong windows password yet the little ****** can get past it. I have no idea how.

Its windows 7.

is there a way other than the windows pass word , to lock it down so only I can use the laptop.
    Do you have Windows 7 Pro? If so use bitlocker to lock down the hard drive.

• Advertisement

I dont think so Its full of symbols and numbers as I knew he was at it.

How does he do it.. Safe mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Have a look at true crypt and encrypt the drive. Or enable a power on password in the bios

If he does not know the password I assume he's probably using something like konboot which let's you bypass the windows login

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you tried telling him no, and following through on the consequences and repercussions end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

200motels wrote: »
    Do you have Windows 7 Pro? If so use bitlocker to lock down the hard drive.
    Bitlocker is only available on Windows 7 for either enterprise or ultimate. From 8 it's pro onwards.

Back to the op set a boot password as well as changing your Windows user password

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I dont think so Its full of symbols and numbers as I knew he was at it.

How does he do it.. Safe mode?

All you have to do is boot from a CD or a USB, extract the passowrd in 30s.

1. Lock the BIOS/UEFI with a new password
    2. Change your Windows password

This works, until he resets the BIOS by popping the case open and moving the jumper.

Padlocked cupboard or a bit of stronger parenting required.

endacl wrote: »
    Have you tried telling him no, and following through on the consequences and repercussions end?

Yes. But teenagers are never that straightforward as many parents will tell you.

Yes. But teenagers are never that straightforward as many parents will tell you.

He's only been a teenager for less than a year. Your're the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Take laptop with you?

If it's a laptop, you could always take the battery and charging cable away with you?

endacl wrote: »
    He's only been a teenager for less than a year. Your're the boss.

thanks. But with respect, I need advice on locking down my computer , not parenting.
    There is issues you don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

I'm not being smart. Really, I'm not. You should post this in the parenting forum rather than the tech forum. I'm not having a go at you, but there really needs to be rules and boundaries set. Trying to thwart his efforts rather than teach him to respect the wishes of others and their privacy is not doing him any favours. I don't have the answer, but there are answers which don't involve physically chaining your equipment closed in order to force him to do as you say.

Seriously, try the parenting forum. For both your sakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

thanks. But with respect, I need advice on locking down my computer , not parenting.
    There is issues you don't know about.

Sounds like you are worried he has found out what you have been up to on your laptop :pac::pac:

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

I'm not being smart. Really, I'm not. You should post this in the parenting forum rather than the tech forum. I'm not having a go at you, but there really needs to be rules and boundaries set. Trying to thwart his efforts rather than teach him to respect the wishes of others and their privacy is not doing him any favours. I don't have the answer, but there are answers which don't involve physically chaining your equipment closed in order to force him to do as you say.

Seriously, try the parenting forum. For both your sakes.

Sorry, just saw your post above mine. Was posted when I was typing.

Sorry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is there fingerprint unlocking? Perhaps he added his

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wonzy

Nothing much you can do. Even setting a Bios password is simple to get around. f you encrypt the laptop and require a password on bootup he can still use a linux or windows live cd to use the internet but won't be able to get into your own account.

Leave charger and battery in boot of car would be the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Change the BIOS settings to boot only from the hard-drive, password protect the BIOS to prevent any other changes and require a start-up password.

Encrypt the disk with your favourite full disk encryption software, again password required at boot.

When you turn on the computer, you'll need a password to move past the BIOS and a further password to boot from the hard drive.

Just changing your windows password won't do it, it's easy to gain access as has already been discussed.

He is perhaps displaying a talent for being able to work out how to gain access and put that into practice. This could turn into a career for him and he might be treating the changing password as a challenge, Coder-Dojo might offer a good challenge to this fledgling talent.

Other things you might do instead of locking him out, is to encrypt your personal stuff and then monitor what he does when he accesses the computer. I'd prefer to know what he's up to than to stop him doing it, but that's me and this is not that kind of thread.

Good luck

Tazium wrote: »
    Change the BIOS settings to boot only from the hard-drive, password protect the BIOS to prevent any other changes and require a start-up password.

Encrypt the disk with your favourite full disk encryption software, again password required at boot.

When you turn on the computer, you'll need a password to move past the BIOS and a further password to boot from the hard drive.

Just changing your windows password won't do it, it's easy to gain access as has already been discussed.

He is perhaps displaying a talent for being able to work out how to gain access and put that into practice. This could turn into a career for him and he might be treating the changing password as a challenge, Coder-Dojo might offer a good challenge to this fledgling talent.

Other things you might do instead of locking him out, is to encrypt your personal stuff and then monitor what he does when he accesses the computer. I'd prefer to know what he's up to than to stop him doing it, but that's me and this is not that kind of thread.

Good luck
    Thanks. he was at coder dojo for a while but he got fed up with scratch.
    He has ocd problems which forced us to pull him away from computers with advice from his therapist.
    I will try the bios thing .. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You could always try changing the WiFi password before you go as well. The laptop might not be as fun with not internet access (of course that assumes he just down't connect directly to the router with an ethernet cable).

mordeith wrote: »
    You could always try changing the WiFi password before you go as well. The laptop might not be as fun with not internet access (of course that assumes he just down't connect directly to the router with an ethernet cable).
    i tried that. but he got access to the laptop again and checked show password in the wifi settings. My heart is broke .. does windows 10 have bitlocker?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Put the keyboard and mouse in a locked drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Follow Taziums steps.

If that fails use physical security laptop is easier than a PC just put it in something like this
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7017883/Trail/searchtext%3ELAPTOP+SAFE.htm when you are not using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You need to take laptop away. Use it and put it away.

Lock it in a room kid can not access or a garage if you have one.

You need to take the temptation away

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Bitlocker is only available on Windows 7 for either enterprise or ultimate. From 8 it's pro onwards.

Back to the op set a boot password as well as changing your Windows user password
    Yeah your right I forgot it wasn't on 7 Pro.

• Advertisement

i tried that. but he got access to the laptop again and checked show password in the wifi settings. My heart is broke .. does windows 10 have bitlocker?
    Windows 10 Pro has it.

Advertisement