Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping family members using my computer

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would try your own key logger and see what hes doing. Then I'd wipe the system and set it up again fresh and I'd lock him out through encryption like TrueCrypt or VeraCrypt.

One of mine got a password off the OH mobile, which allowed them to guess the pattern of a different password. Then kept up the pretense of not knowing the password for a week or so, getting us to enter it, until we noticed a difference in their behavior, which when we thought about it, meant they knew the password. Lots of stuff like that, the stories are endless.

Just because a kid can do smart things, doesn't mean they won't do dumb things with that knowledge. Especially if they have a track record of immaturity, or a lack of common sense. That's obviously the core of the issue that won't be solved via technology, or this thread. What works for 99% of kids may not work for the 1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

I would prefer not talking to much about his condition as its not relevant to a technical question and its personal. :)

Sorry, i didnt mean to cause offense.
    I meant it more so as a question of his computer behaviors not of his condition. Another option is to set him an account on the computer and make certain programs such as internet browsers administrator access only. That way he could use a computer but not have access to internet. But this is entirely hypothetical as we dont know what he seems to be doing on the computer.

Setting a keylogger may be useful to find out how he is bypassing your passwords and monitor him in the short term and figure out a better solution then. Extreme option is to remove the hard drive from the laptop that renders it useless. Takes 5 mins to take out of the pc when your finished with it and just store it safely while your away. Or just get a laptop bag and bring it with you.

Just my two cents worth...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Recurve360 wrote: »
    Extreme option is to remove the hard drive from the laptop that renders it useless. Takes 5 mins to take out of the pc when your finished with it and just store it safely while your away. Or just get a laptop bag and bring it with you. Just my two cents worth...

There are a million options on how you could do what you'r trying to do, but most people would probably set a BIOS password.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

At this stage i honestly think this thread is a piss take!

Advertisement