Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rally

Options
  • 15-06-2016 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Anyone with any idea where the rally will be on Friday morn/afternoon?. Got places to be and want to avoid it as much as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thought you were setting up a Donegal Rally thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I take it this type of rally is what you are referring to.

0384ecb28780cf8592a0f6f5476fd9e9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Water John wrote: »
    Thought you were setting up a Donegal Rally thread.
    Ye can have it when I'm done bud :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Is Scrutiny down in the usual spot this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Is Scrutiny down in the usual spot this evening?

Just drove past McGinley Motors and it's in full swing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Is there a list of stages anywhere so I know where to avoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Is there a list of stages anywhere so I know where to avoid?

Just try to avoid the entire letterkenny area, the actual rally might not be there, but the rally fans are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Flibbles wrote: »
    Just try to avoid the entire letterkenny area, the actual rally might not be there, but the rally fans are.

Ah I know that. Sure live in the place. Talking about out and about on the road cause I do deliveries. Can't find anything on the rally website.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

Ah I know that. Sure live in the place. Talking about out and about on the road cause I do deliveries. Can't find anything on the rally website.

If you can pick up a rally program it will have details and a detailed map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Condolences, I live out the Old Town as well, tonight will be a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Flibbles wrote: »
    Condolences, I live out the Old Town as well, tonight will be a nightmare.

The road from Unifi to the Mountain Top is already awful. Was turning off towards Gortlee earlier on today and a rally car came flying out from behind a van and just speed up the hill. Was a little close.
    There were people sitting drinking outside of Gallaghers today at the yellow box as if they were waiting for some idiot to do burnouts. Gonna be a long weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Maldesu wrote: »
    The road from Unifi to the Mountain Top is already awful. Was turning off towards Gortlee earlier on today and a rally car came flying out from behind a van and just speed up the hill. Was a little close.
    There were people sitting drinking outside of Gallaghers today at the yellow box as if they were waiting for some idiot to do burnouts. Gonna be a long weekend

wouldnt be the first time it happened...

overshoot wrote: »
    wouldnt be the first time it happened...

Indeed, and if I recall, the foolishness did not serve him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was in town just before noon. Felt a bit underdressed in only jeans and tshirt. And I forgot my hat.

Couple guards outside Gallaghers, obviously watching for idiots doing donuts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

In case anyone is interested in the results, this is a good link. http://results.shannonsportsit.ie/results.php?rally=DL16

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Isn't there a law prohibiting noisy exhausts?
    I am not against racing on a circuit or on private roads but I do believe that racing on public roads is tantamount to madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

Isn't there a law prohibiting noisy exhausts?
    I am not against racing on a circuit or on private roads but I do believe that racing on public roads is tantamount to madness.
    There certainly is a law on excessively noisy exhausts. It's not really enforced and were it to be so, there wouldn't be a car leaving donegal tomorrow.

As to the second point, yes, it's utter madness. And those drivers who race on public road in the various rallys and even more crazy, the riders who compete in motorcycle road races like the NW200, Ulster GP, Skerries, Kells and Isle of Man TT are certifiably insane. Yet it's the ultimate skill, and it's bloody awesome and long may it continue.

What is bloody ridiculous however is the hordes of knuckedraggers that the Donegal Rally brings with it. All I can hear all night last night and tonight are the sounds of idiots bouncing their cars off the rev limiters, and the telltale sounds of burnouts, doughnuts or diffing. Those are the numpties that need to have their cars seized and crushed. Letterkenny is a no-go zone this time every year.

Proper fans are out following the stages every day and are proud car owners/modders. It's the ones who are just tag along to show off their twincam or altezza/is200 with cherry bomb exhaust by revving incessantly or diffing on the public roads that need to be dealt with.

To summarise: Rallying awesome, rally fans awesome, hangers on who disrupt life and annoy locals are the bane of Donegal society every year at this time.

God I sound like Victor Meldrew. Meh, I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Was in Letterkenny last night, saw a few lads being hauled off into squad cars. Anyone want to fill me in on the madness I missed out on later on in the evening?

Was in Letterkenny last night, saw a few lads being hauled off into squad cars. Anyone want to fill me in on the madness I missed out on later on in the evening?

Don't know about LK, but apparently someone got an ear munched on in Carrigart. I stayed out of dodge.

As for today, the roads leading to the Mount Errigal are mobbed. Avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I see the esteemed councillors are out in force this morning denouncing the anti-social behaviour as the actions of a few, even though arrests have trebled over last year. However, this has been going on for years, the rally has always attracted a heap of arseholes who basically have free reign over the town for 3 days.
    I havent lived in lk for 7 years but back then it was like a reverse-12th - always went and stayed with friends in belfast that weekend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

retalivity wrote: »
    I see the esteemed councillors are out in force this morning denouncing the anti-social behaviour as the actions of a few, even though arrests have trebled over last year. However, this has been going on for years, the rally has always attracted a heap of arseholes who basically have free reign over the town for 3 days.
    I havent lived in lk for 7 years but back then it was like a reverse-12th - always went and stayed with friends in belfast that weekend

Maybe they are just arresting more of them this year to put a stop to the carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I was around town all over the weekend. I definately thought the numbers were up significantly. The Ireland match kept more in town during the day also and there seemed to be more hangers on than genuine rally fans

However I did think there was a significant garda presence, more than I have seen for some time, including rally weekends past and perhaps that is why arrests were up.

Most of the exhausts appeared attached to NI reg cars which is probably why its hard to enforce the Irish legislation on car noise pollution

There should be a no tolerance approach to arrests/convictions and set the bar for future years

The rally is very good for the economy - it just needs the troublemakers weeding out

Advertisement