Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lithium Battery - worth the money?

• 15-06-2016 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

I'm looking at getting a new Motocaddy S1 trolley and looking for some input from anyone who has purchased a new trolley in last few years.

Cost is 400 or 425 with extended lead battery.
    550 with lithium.

5 year lithium warranty not truly worth it once you go into year 3 and beyond as it only covers portion of the replacement cost.

What I'm really wondering are people getting 7/8 years out of standard 18 lithium batteries?

If lithium battery was to last 7 years (figure I was told in golf shop) you could still buy 3.6 new lead batteries (based on initial purchase of extended lead with trolley) during the same time frame at same cost. Can't see that many lead batteries failing in that time surely?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Great question.

I bought an 18 hole Lit battery last year and I now wish I spent a bit more and got the 36 hole battery. Cost was €230 from our local pro.

The real advantage is size and weight, I actually think my old style 18 hole battery had more juice in it, but I was only getting about 3 years out of it. approx 50 to 60 rounds a year.

Has you already mention the warranty policy is a bit of a con as it reduces a lot after year 3.

I am not sure if people will be able to tell you they have got 7/8 years out of one yet, because they have not been around long enough and they were very expensive when they first came out.

Personally don't think they are better value, but easier to use, store and handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I got a 36 hole Lithium a few years ago and I'm very happy with it. A fraction of the weight, smaller and it recharges in a couple of hours at most.

I haven't really tested its 36 hole range but it has certainly sailed through 27. I wouldn't want to risk it on a hilly course though.

Only drawback is cost - it needs a different charging unit to the lead acid version so that drives up the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I got a Lithium battery a few months ago and so far, its great ....... light, easy to carry and most importantly it very quickly fully charges (2 hours) and holds its charge for about a week with no need to be plugged in. It cost me 250e and while it was more than I intended to spend, I doubt I will ever go back to a old lead battery again.

I like the fact that its not plugged in all the time and possibly saving me a few cents on the electric bills (not a lot I'd imagine, but every little helps;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

It's a no brainer most come with a 5 year guarantee. Most you get with lead acid is 1 year and they don't last much longer. I got one on offer from just golf 200eu 5 year guarantee. It's lighter so my golf glider actually lasts longer and goes faster. It will easily do 27 holes although only rated for 18 holes. 4 hours to fully charge what's not to like. I do think your prices are way off I wouldn't pay more than 270 max for a lithium battery. Shop around look for offers online if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

It's a no brainer most come with a 5 year guarantee. Most you get with lead acid is 1 year and they don't last much longer.

5 year guarantee is limited with motocaddy, powakaddy and litepower once you enter year 3, are there manufacturers that offer full 5 yr warranty?

A friend has an old 36 hole powakaddy lead battery going 6 years later, do some people's battery's die after a year??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

my last 3 lead batteries have only lasted about 15 months

kenkin wrote: »

Crikey. If you don't mind me asking, what make were they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Got an S1 trolley with a lead battery a little over year and a half ago, battery died recently. 18 hole battery on a hilly course may have been running too close to bottom on each cycle and brought on early death?
    Anyway, bit the bullet and got an 18 hole lithium in American Golf Cork who have 25% off, so €210. Charges in under 2hrs, lighter and has a good bit more than 18 holes I'd say.
    OP is looking for trolley and battery, I'm bringing a buddy to AG tomorrow to get the same. New model S1 trolley with 18 hole lithium for just under €400. Better price than I got on a demo model elsewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

How you treat the old battery will extend it's life span.

Ie. charging it asap, charging it full, running it down to empty, length between use etc.

I have got 5 years out of 1 and 3 years out of most and the last one I only got 18 months. The quality of the battery is also important.

Another advantage the Lithium battery as is the battery management system it comes with, compared to the lead battery just sitting on charge all the time

dos29 wrote: »
    New model S1 trolley with 18 hole lithium for just under €400. Better price than I got on a demo model elsewhere!

That price seems too good to be true! they running a promotion or something??

Thanks all for the input, lithium does appear to be worth the expense

• Advertisement

Combo deal price on it I think, and then knock the 25% off. It is pretty savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

dos29 wrote: »
    Got an S1 trolley with a lead battery a little over year and a half ago, battery died recently. 18 hole battery on a hilly course may have been running too close to bottom on each cycle and brought on early death?
    Anyway, bit the bullet and got an 18 hole lithium in American Golf Cork who have 25% off, so €210. Charges in under 2hrs, lighter and has a good bit more than 18 holes I'd say.
    OP is looking for trolley and battery, I'm bringing a buddy to AG tomorrow to get the same. New model S1 trolley with 18 hole lithium for just under €400. Better price than I got on a demo model elsewhere!

By any chance dos29, do you know have they a deal on the M1 PRO? They fold up a lot smaller and will fit into the space I have been 'allocated' by the boss:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Crikey. If you don't mind me asking, what make were they?

They were Powakaddy. Just realised my post may have been misleading. I got 15 months out of each battery not 15 months in total

Dbu wrote: »
    By any chance dos29, do you know have they a deal on the M1 PRO? They fold up a lot smaller and will fit into the space I have been 'allocated' by the boss:cool:

http://www.americangolf.eu/gps-bags-equipment/electric-trolleys/motocaddy-m1-pro-lithium-18-hole-electric-trolley-265678.html?dwvar_265678_variantimage=white
    So starting price of €700 - 25% should make it €525 if I still know how to do a math!
    Or 36 hole battery for €20, which works out as €15 more...
    http://www.americangolf.eu/gps-bags-equipment/electric-trolleys/motocaddy-m1-pro-lithium-36-hole-electric-trolley-265681.html?dwvar_265681_variantimage=white

I should be on commission!

Edit: Far as I know this is just the Cork store though, if that wasn't clear already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

In relation to my post earlier, I bought the M1 Pro in Nov 2014 with the standard lead battery, it was down to 12 holes by March of this year .... 15 months out of the lead battery. I know others who had the same time span and the battery has a years guarantee then it seems to lose power. Go lithium as far as Im concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I was in Golf Concepts last week he had about 6 Lithium batteries back for repair under warranty. (Buddy bought lead on strength of it).What percentage of total sold, haven't a foggiest.

Advertisement