Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few recommendations required.

Options
  • 15-06-2016 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Looking for few improvements for my cargo bike so any recommendations are welcome:

1) good front light with the remote trigger to put on the handlebars - the cable should have around 250cm max.
    2) rear light - I know there was a good rear light with a video camera built in but cant remember what was the brand.
    3) garmin edge stem mount (not the out-front mount though) - I'm using the standard one with rubber bands but it moves around all the time. I cant use the stem mount where its fixed under the stem cap as if it was a spacer because my stem cap is rubbery and there is no star nut to fix inside the steerer. The bike has stem lifter.
    4) tools holder to fit where the bottle cage is that is securely locked - so I dont have it nicked when shopping etc - if something like that exists at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

omri wrote: »
    Looking for few improvements for my cargo bike so any recommendations are welcome:

1) good front light with the remote trigger to put on the handlebars - the cable should have around 250cm max.
    2) rear light - I know there was a good rear light with a video camera built in but cant remember what was the brand.
    3) garmin edge stem mount (not the out-front mount though) - I'm using the standard one with rubber bands but it moves around all the time. I cant use the stem mount where its fixed under the stem cap as if it was a spacer because my stem cap is rubbery and there is no star nut to fix inside the steerer. The bike has stem lifter.
    4) tools holder to fit where the bottle cage is that is securely locked - so I dont have it nicked when shopping etc - if something like that exists at all.

I highly recommend getting a hub Dynamo and B&M lights
    http://en.bumm.de/products/dynamo-headlights.html

Rose bikes sell wheels with Hub Dynamo contact them and they'll give you a good option

As regards tool kits I imagine you could bolt a tool kit to the cargo section that needs an Allen key yo open, then you just need to strap one Allen key below the saddle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'll second the dynamo suggestion.

I use a second-hand SON hub dynamo with a Lumotec IQ Premium Senso Plus front and a Toplight Line Brake Plus rear.

Both lights have a standlight feature so you remain lit if you stop. The rear light works as a brake light when you slow down. It just senses the change in speed from the dynamo.
    You can do the remote trigger simply by extending cabling from the dynamo to the handlebars and thence forward to the front light but I wouldn't bother. My lights are switchable but I leave them permanently on and I find they make a difference, even in bright daylight.
    On a narrow country road in Kerry last month, cars coming the opposite direction were pulling over to let the oncoming vehicle through. Presumably because the light led them to believe they were facing a motorcycle or something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The rear light you mention is the Fly6 by Cycliq. They now have the Fly12 front light with integrated camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'll second the dynamo suggestion.

I use a second-hand SON hub dynamo with a Lumotec IQ Premium Senso Plus front and a Toplight Line Brake Plus rear.

Both lights have a standlight feature so you remain lit if you stop. The rear light works as a brake light when you slow down. It just senses the change in speed from the dynamo.
    You can do the remote trigger simply by extending cabling from the dynamo to the handlebars and thence forward to the front light but I wouldn't bother. My lights are switchable but I leave them permanently on and I find they make a difference, even in bright daylight.
    On a narrow country road in Kerry last month, cars coming the opposite direction were pulling over to let the oncoming vehicle through. Presumably because the light led them to believe they were facing a motorcycle or something.

Does it mean I need the dynamos in both wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The LUMOTEC IQ2 LUXOS is absolutely incredible, a real step above the IQ Cyo which I had before.

The U version (which I have) has remote switch and USB charge port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

No. One dynamo powers both lights. You'll have wiring running from dynamo to front light and from there to rear light.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, most dynamos output 3 Watts. Front LED lights will use 2.4Watts and the back will use .6Watts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Lumen wrote: »
    The LUMOTEC IQ2 LUXOS is absolutely incredible, a real step above the IQ Cyo which I had before.

Is that light dynamo powered too? Or what does the usb charge port is for?

Is that light dynamo powered too? Or what does the usb charge port is for?
    Yes it is dynamo powered.

The USB port is for charging stuff (phone, garmin etc) when the light is off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Lumen wrote: »

http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/1028093-new-dynamo-light-announced-b-m-iq-x-100-lux-aluminum-casing-redesigned-reflector.html

The arms race didn't cease while your Luxos sat on a shelf....

A lot of troublesome Luxos U lights out there

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/1028093-new-dynamo-light-announced-b-m-iq-x-100-lux-aluminum-casing-redesigned-reflector.html

The arms race didn't cease while your Luxos sat on a shelf....

A lot of troublesome Luxos U lights out there

300?cb=20140829235648

edit: maybe I should sell my (perfectly functional) Luxos to Omri and then splash the cash on one of those babies.

Advertisement