Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car transmission problem

• 16-06-2016 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I drive a one litre Yaris recently I have noticed when going down hill the I can't get the car into third gear it keeps slipping I can't even get it back into 1st or 2nd gear this only seems to happening going down a hill any advice on what I might be doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

if you're in Dublin, you might give the guys at bohernabreena gearbox centre a call....(I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sg2014

im in cork thanks for your help though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Sg2014 wrote: »
    I drive a one litre Yaris recently I have noticed when going down hill the I can't get the car into third gear it keeps slipping I can't even get it back into 1st or 2nd gear this only seems to happening going down a hill any advice on what I might be doing wrong?

What speed were you doing. Were you coming from 2nd into 3rd or 4th into 3rd.

In most cases I can't see trying to downshift to 1st while going down a hill working out.

What speed were you doing. Were you coming from 2nd into 3rd or 4th into 3rd.

In most cases I can't see trying to downshift to 1st while going down a hill working out.

Was doing about 20-30I was in second trying to go into 3rd but it just wouldn't budge, like it just kept slipping out of gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Will it change ok if you change at higher rpm?
    Same place, same conditions but stay in 2nd for longer and change to 3rd at a higher speed?

I don't understand "slipping out" -
    Is the gearstick going all the way to the "normal" position you would go to select 3rd and then jumping out?
    Or are you encountering resistance preventing you from selecting 3rd?

• Advertisement

Will it change ok if you change at higher rpm?
    Same place, same conditions but stay in 2nd for longer and change to 3rd at a higher speed?

I don't understand "slipping out" -
    Is the gearstick going all the way to the "normal" position you would go to select 3rd and then jumping out?
    Or are you encountering resistance preventing you from selecting 3rd?

I'm encountering resistance preventing me from selecting 3rd gear.

It doesn't change at a higher rpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Does the clutch feel normal when you are pulling away from stopped?

RustyNut wrote: »
    Does the clutch feel normal when you are pulling away from stopped?

Sometimes it can make a grinding sound when I am pulling away.

Advertisement