Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Fiber & ZyXEL 1000

Options
  • 16-06-2016 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Getting vodafone fiber install today, have all the vodafone stuff, modem etc.
    I had been using 3 routers in the house for good wifi, due to the construction of the house wifi signal was not great.

Can I use the Old Eircom ZyXEL 1000 with the fiber connection as slave routers (repeaters) ?
    The house is wired with cat 6 to each room but still the wifi is the handiest for phones/tablets.
    Dont need massive speed from the secondary routers so thought the old ones would do.

Any thoughts ??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're using the wrong terminology, but yes, you can. They arent repeaters but wireless access points.

I wouldnt advise using more than the Vodafone HG658C + 2x others. With regular 2.4Ghz wifi more than 3 APs will compete and degrade each other (unless your home is a total mansion).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jmgall

Thanks Ed E,
    Any particular settings I need to change on the vodafone (main) modem.
    Installer (switch it on guy !!) was here and I have the vodafone modem connected to the main incoming phone line, getting 67mb constant on that.
    Plugged in my other router (access point) in sitting room via cat 6 running round the house and I'm getting 20mb.

The way I had the Eircom setup was 1 router/modem in the office, first point of phone line coming in to the house.
    the other 2 were in other rooms with different ip address and DHCP server disabled on both.

Thought I should be getting faster speed than that on the 2nd router ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well, your CAT6 is overspecced hugely for the Vodafone unit as it doesnt have Gig ports, but thats not a problem.

You have it right, DHCP off, main probably on .254, AP1 on .253, AP2 on .252 etc etc.

What you want to tweak for performance is to have main on CH1, AP1 on CH6 and AP2 on CH11. This stops them interfering with each other.

Wifi on the F1000 was never excellent, but if your home isnt near others I'd expect 50Mb on new devices. If its in an estate or is an apartment all bets are off.

Advertisement