Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transferring chainsets

Options
  • 16-06-2016 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

had my first go at transferring a power2max chainset across from my road bike to another bike. I got stuck immediately after taking the left hand crank arm off. I gently banged the spindle with a soft hammer but no go on removing the drive side.

what am I doing wrong ?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not sure if there is a difference with say an Ultegra chainset but when I removed mine the last time it took a while to 'force it' out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

godtabh wrote: »
    Not sure if there is a difference with say an Ultegra chainset but when I removed mine the last time it took a while to 'force it' out.

I was afraid to force it anymore with the hammer but it does look like the FSA Gossamer simply should squeeze out. I don't have a bike stand so was trying to pull it out manually on the ground. probably needed a lever of some sort

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    had my first go at transferring a power2max chainset across from my road bike to another bike. I got stuck immediately after taking the left hand crank arm off. I gently banged the spindle with a soft hammer but no go on removing the drive side.

what am I doing wrong ?

Put a piece of wood against the spindle. Give it a sharp tap with a real hammer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭billy121

transfer my P2M crankset frequently between bikes. Once non driveside crank arm has been removed the chainset nearly falls out -was the spindle greased before the p2M chainset was put in? I reckon it would be difficult to damage the spindle so go with brians suggestion above and get the hammer out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

billy121 wrote: »
    transfer my P2M crankset frequently between bikes. Once non driveside crank arm has been removed the chainset nearly falls out -was the spindle greased before the p2M chainset was put in? I reckon it would be difficult to damage the spindle so go with brians suggestion above and get the hammer out

Was just about to ask about it been greased. I grease it up every time I've changed mine

• Advertisement

lbs put it in so hoping it was greased ! more of the hammer it is then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

What Bottom Bracket have you on the bike, FSA cranksets with Shimano bottom brackets can be a very tight fit. A bit of force should get it out though.

clog wrote: »
    What Bottom Bracket have you on the bike, FSA cranksets with Shimano bottom brackets can be a very tight fit. A bit of force should get it out though.

it's a shimano bb30 - probably the reason then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    it's a shimano bb30 - probably the reason then?

Mine mostly comes out easily but the odd time needs a good yank. Once struck straight with wood or soft hammer as mentioned above it's hard to imagine what damage could be done.

Advertisement