Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location for first ironman ??

Options
  • 16-06-2016 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Views on where's best to do your first ironman ?
    Factors being:
    1. Weather
    2. Terrain
    3. Time of year
    4. Cost
    Etc:

Have it in my head for next year ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I've never done one but if I was looking I'd be looking at a later season one. Get to train during late spring and summer, would just make it a bit easier for me than some of the colder darker winter mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

noc231073 wrote: »
    Views on where's best to do your first ironman ?
    Factors being:
    1. Weather
    2. Terrain
    3. Time of year
    4. Cost
    Etc:

Have it in my head for next year ..

What do you want?

1). do you want rain/sun/wind/snow/10degrees/20degrees/30degrees/40degrees
    2). swim calm or choppy, sea or fresh water/bike hilly or flat/run hilly or flat
    3). what time of year do you want
    4). how much would you consider paying.

All you've done it list a few things that should be considered without actually telling us what you want under those headings. My crystal ball doesnt work too well over the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

I think it quite obvious what the ideal condition for racing are .. but when do we get ideal ??
    16-22 degrees
    Flat course
    Calm waters
    Towards the end of the summer (helps in preparation)

Dont think you need your crystal ball to figure some of that out !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Apart from the weather it's not really that obvious, stronger bigger lads would prefer a flat course on the bike, smaller lighter probably prefer hillier. Same with swim, good swimmers probably prefer non wetsuit choppy swims to calm wetsuit swims. Picking the race depends on what you want from it. Are you looking for a good experience, a fast time, to be competitive in your age group or just get around?

From the description of your ideal I'd say Barcelona. Early October, not too warm, flat and fast. Swim could be a bit choppy but that's a risk with any sea swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

noc231073 wrote: »
    I think it quite obvious what the ideal condition for racing are .. but when do we get ideal ??
    16-22 degrees Northern Europe or Autumn your best bet, but no guarantees either way
    Flat course plenty of draft-fest races around
    Calm waters stay away from the coast then
    Towards the end of the summer (helps in preparation)

Dont think you need your crystal ball to figure some of that out !!!

Late summer Vichy(likely very hot)/Copenhagen(expensive city)/Kalmar(think it an expensive place, no direct flights)
    Late Late Summer Weymouth(its England)/Wales(its hilly)
    Late late late Summer Mallorca (big Hill)/Barcelona(potentially choppy swim, but perfect sportive style draftfest)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

joey100 wrote: »
    Apart from the weather it's not really that obvious, stronger bigger lads would prefer a flat course on the bike, smaller lighter probably prefer hillier. Same with swim, good swimmers probably prefer non wetsuit choppy swims to calm wetsuit swims. Picking the race depends on what you want from it. Are you looking for a good experience, a fast time, to be competitive in your age group or just get around?

From the description of your ideal I'd say Barcelona. Early October, not too warm, flat and fast. Swim could be a bit choppy but that's a risk with any sea swim.

Course changing in Barca to avoid the situation where 5:5x bikers did 4:5x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

https://www.k226.com/events/eventitem.aspx?id=46

hardman of course
    podersdorf austria
    challenge almere
    https://www.k226.com/events/eventitem.aspx?id=357

of course you could do the sportive BTH does.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

From an experience perspective. I have done Frankfurt twice Austria Lanza and Roth. I would go

Austria
    Frankfurt
    Roth

Lanza (put Lanza up the list if u r a good decender).

Frankfurt and Lanza are beat location wise to get to.

Crowds in frnakfurt were the best.

I say Austria for the whole experience and the course. Bike crowds better in Frankfurt but the Austria course is more scenic. Run more interesting in Austria and good crowds but Frankfurt course is people all the way. Austria pips it in my mind.

Lanza is a bucket list one tho. Tough day out and great after party if staying in puerto deal carmen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Does it have to be an Ironman event or are you more interested in testing yourself over the iron distance? If the latter you mostly have more choice at all stages of the season.

I'd be shooting for a nice small local race, preferably a lake swim and a looped bike and looped run course that doesn't stray too far from race finish area.

If you race anywhere in Continental Europe between June and September it's going to be hot and I think a hot race is the last thing you want to hang your iron distance debut on to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Just did my first in Galway last weekend.

1, As i live in Galway i got to Swim, Cycle & Run on the course throughout my training in all weather conditions which was gave me a massive psychological boost during the event and made "weather a none issue". I trained for the worst and not ideal conditions.

2, I liked the fact the cycle was a tough and a single loop. I never liked the idea of choosing a event cause it's easy, it's almost as if you're admitting the chance of failure. if you're going for a fast time or PB then choose a fast course but for the first time embrace the challenge!

3, I liked training throughout the winter and early spring and i now have the rest of the summer to enjoy without the pressure of training for an event. I was finding it harder as the weather got better due to more social events

4, Got to sleep in my own bed and was back home having a shower within 30 mins of the finish. The cost of the race was the only expense.

I'm glad i choose and supported a local event and long may it continue (Not for me as I've ticked the box and have no more interest in long distance again).

What ever you choose to do noc231073 always try to do it with a smile on your face

• Advertisement
Advertisement