Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin weird routes

• 16-06-2016 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a pre-owned Garmin Nuvi 2300, it seems like a good SatNav... except that it sends me down narrow lanes and weird side-roads.
    I think it must be choosing the shortest route.....how do I set it for the fastest route (assuming that it would then stick to main roads) ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

tony glenn wrote: »
    I recently bought a pre-owned Garmin Nuvi 2300, it seems like a good SatNav... except that it sends me down narrow lanes and weird side-roads.
    I think it must be choosing the shortest route.....how do I set it for the fastest route (assuming that it would then stick to main roads) ???

It will still send you down weird side roads! My Nuvi sent me through the back of beyond once when I was traveling to my mother-in-law's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Maybe the best compromise is to use road maps and common-sense for the main point-to-point route, then the Garmin for the towns/cities?
    Btw, when plugged in to the car power socket, does yours switch off every time you stop the car then switch the ignition back on?

tony glenn wrote: »
    Maybe the best compromise is to use road maps and common-sense for the main point-to-point route, then the Garmin for the towns/cities?
    Btw, when plugged in to the car power socket, does yours switch off every time you stop the car then switch the ignition back on?

I have a Nuvi 50, about a year old. It asks me if I want to switch off when I switch the ignition off and it loses external power, and gives me the option to stay on.

Normally I just plan my route in such a way that it avoids side roads, which you can do using the Garmin app for your PC. I allow it to plot a proposed route, then specify waypoints if I want to change. Then I save the completed route to the satnav and access it through Favorites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You need to set navigation to fastest route instead of shortest route. Can't copy & paste from the user manual but these are the options you need to select ...

Tools/Settings/Navigation/Automobile/nuRoute/Calculation Mode

And set it to 'Fastest Time', this will select main roads in preference to minor roads even if the distance is longer.

coylemj wrote: »
    You need to set navigation to fastest route instead of shortest route. Can't copy & paste from the user manual but these are the options you need to select ...

Tools/Settings/Navigation/Automobile/nuRoute/Calculation Mode

And set it to 'Fastest Time', this will select main roads in preference to minor roads even if the distance is longer.

Mine doesn't care; it sends me hither and yon anyway if it thinks the route is faster, even if it is a miserable back road. And when you travel mostly in Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Donegal, Fermanagh, and Tyrone, the back roads are truly miserable. :) That's why I plan my route as I stated above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Thought that might be the answer....but it was already set to 'fastest route'
    So I'll just have to use discretion. Thanks for the input, though!

Advertisement