Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Food Fest - Tonight At The Milk Market

• 16-06-2016 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Anyone going?

Urban Food Fest - Limerick Street Food’, a family friendly event, will take place in the Limerick Milk Market on Thursday June 16th from 6pm until 10pm. A unique and festive evening atmosphere will be created in Limerick's iconic city centre market location for a showcase of some of the best food and drink Limerick has to offer. The event will be open to the public with free entry, and attendees will purchase tokens as currency to enable them to sample taster plates from various stalls. Inspired by the culture of international street food, the food offering will also have an Irish twist and everything will be local #bialuimní from Limerick.

13458638_10153716954472939_832201607847585577_o.jpg
    *Hosted by Limerick Food Group, a voluntary group working to promote Limerick food #bialuimní

https://www.facebook.com/events/476266845903511/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Various foods washed down with Harper's vanilla latte can't wait tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

sioda wrote: »
    Various foods washed down with Harper's vanilla latte can't wait tbh.

Me too, hopefully draws a big crowd so theres more events like this in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Heading into this tonight too, looking forward to it.

This is also on tonight in the Milk Market - https://www.facebook.com/events/1735676656704460/
    So there should be a fairly decent crowd around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What beers are Dolans making\brewing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Big crowd here good variety of food as well

• Advertisement

Yup, just arrived and it's crazy busy. Queue for tokens going halfway around the outside of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The wife and I got 10 tickets after about 10 minutes so queues weren't bad at the time.

Inside was a different story, huge queues for everything, no spacing between stalls despite room being available, everything crushed together.

The Japanese stall ran out of food after 15 minutes of us in that queue.

We got a refund for the tickets and left. Great idea and we wanted it to work but it was organised and executed very poorly.

Pity.

Farce.Had to argue for a refund

I quite enjoyed that! Queue for tokens dispersed quickly as they decided to just have people pay at the stalls halfway through.
    It looked like they didn't expect such a huge turnout, hence the token idea being scrapped.
    Layout was definitely a bit poor but again, I reckon that was due to the unprecedented crowd.

Would love to see it back again, albeit with a bit more preparation.

1st time yes but the whole lay out a farce.1 tap of a local ale
    Was paying for my tokens and rough looking lad just sitting on the table by the cashier drinking a pint
    Confusion over what was for tokens and for sale

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed that! Queue for tokens dispersed quickly as they decided to just have people pay at the stalls halfway through.
    It looked like they didn't expect such a huge turnout, hence the token idea being scrapped.
    Layout was definitely a bit poor but again, I reckon that was due to the unprecedented crowd.

Would love to see it back again, albeit with a bit more preparation.

Queue for tokens 6.20 was around the corner and moved very slow.
    Laughing at the comments on facebook people fawning over it.It was a shambles
    Great idea but very badly run.I was an organiser and a product owner just farting around rather than get stuck in.Fairplay to Bobby Byrne and Da Vingenzo they were 2 guys getting it out fast
    Treaty brewing a joke one tap WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

An event in Limerick organised and run poorly? That must be a first.

/sarcasm

I saw the the queues, realised it was for a poxy tokens system (always a sign you are getting shafted) and decided to go for a pint and a bite to eat elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I was down there last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's pretty obvious that the organisers weren't expecting the crowds that they got and have acknowledged this widely on social media. They'll learn from this and have it better the next time. Great event and hopefully will see more in the future.

It was the first of its kind in Limerick (as far as I'm aware) and people enjoyed it - hardly a shambles, is it? Sure, there were some negative aspects to it but that's to be expected when something like that is run first.

Now if it becomes an annual thing and ends up taking years to improve in any way, like a certain estuary festival, then yeah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Farce? Shambles? I think you're being a bit melodramatic BigPink... TonyCliftonEsq - man you're being bitter about an event you didn't even attempt to attend!

What are ye on about, it was a massive success. They weren't expecting the numbers they got (it was absolutely swamped, great to see all the kids and fair play to Coqbull for handing out balloons), all sellers sold out their stock I was told after. I was there at 6.15 and the queue was out the door and back by the corner. I think where confusion was because this was the coupon queue. If you wanted to just stroll in for a look around or meet someone already in there you were able to. They copped this after a while and left everyone in.

You could tell by the layout they weren't expecting such numbers as they could have spread the stalls out more. They also could have had more bins. But these are hiccups they'll learn from for next time.

But it was brilliant, good atmosphere (there was music on the viewing platform), good value, and lovely food. Fair play to the organisers, something different, glad it was such a success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭djdunny

bigpink wrote: »
    Treaty brewing a joke one tap WTF

The drinks side of it was organised by Dolans not the brewers themselves.

This link shows who was in attendance. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153719214637939&set=gm.488724567991072&type=3&theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

leakyboots wrote: »
    TonyCliftonEsq - man you're being bitter about an event you didn't even attempt to attend!

Speak for yourself. I did attempt to attend and was put off by a queue stretching half-ways round the block. For poxy tokens.

I took my business elsewhere and had a great night. Ain't bitter at all.

Just not surprised by the usual organisational amateur hour stuff that is a blight on any event here.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

bigpink wrote: »
    Farce.Had to argue for a refund

You must have been delighted. Something to complain about on the internet.

Ah sure look. lets just not bother with new kinds of events at all. Down with these notions.

Aaaanyway...

What did people have?
    I found Garretts burger was lovely, as were the Wild Orchard juices. The yoke I had from the Mexican Food Dudes wasn't all that imo.
    Bobby Byrnes had their curry - didnt' try it but judging by the number of people inhaling it, it must have been good.

Really cool to see the variety of stuff Limerick has in one place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

I found the pilly cheese steak bun from the Absolute Hotel to be lovely, also the cheese selection Cahills was excellent.

The food from Da Vincenzo was pretty poor and small.

• Advertisement

The "success" of last night and the decent crowds going to the River market on Wednesday surely demonstrate that the potential is there to develop the regular Friday food market and make it a far better event than it currently is. Half the stall holders down by the river are also at the market on a friday yet the place is deserted.

Treepole wrote: »
    You must have been delighted. Something to complain about on the internet.

Not really was looking forward to it
    We got 2 sets if tokens and when we saw the farce i went up for a refund for one pack
    Had Da Vincenos nice but tiny
    Mexicab Foos dudes awful like old el paso home kit
    Cheese was good from cahills i think
    Beer nice
    The set up was a farce but all the facebook comments are falling over themselves to praise it

Speak for yourself. I did attempt to attend and was put off by a queue stretching half-ways round the block. For poxy tokens.

I took my business elsewhere and had a great night. Ain't bitter at all.

Just not surprised by the usual organisational amateur hour stuff that is a blight on any event here.

Read the facebook comments all fawning over the organiser
    Praising the volutneers? I didnt see one helping with queueI didnt even see them

One tap of Treaty Ale wtf
    Come on they wanted a crowd and should have to set up for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The social media stuff was enough to put me off it. What the **** is an 'urban food fest' anyway? What does that even mean? And what's street food? Give me a break. There's a cabal of marketing types in this city who spend their days bigging each other up on Twitter and measuring their importance in facebook likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

zulutango wrote: »
    The social media stuff was enough to put me off it. What the **** is an 'urban food fest' anyway? What does that even mean? And what's street food? Give me a break. There's a cabal of marketing types in this city who spend their days bigging each other up on Twitter and measuring their importance in facebook likes.

You sounds like great craic :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

zulutango wrote: »

Eh, maybe it means a food festival in an urban setting, such as, for instance, Limerick City...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I was here for lunch today around 12:30-12:15. Is it usually quiet? Was like a ghost town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

An File wrote: »
    Eh, maybe it means a food festival in an urban setting, such as, for instance, Limerick City...

Ah, spare me!! :rolleyes:

The fawning on the faceboom comments i cant believe

• Advertisement

MillField wrote: »
    I was here for lunch today around 12:30-12:15. Is it usually quiet? Was like a ghost town.

I only work in Limerick a couple of times a week but make an effort to go there on a Friday if I'm around. It's usually quiet, but would be busier around 1pm than at 12:30. I would think a lot of people don't even know it exists.

They should push to have a major, well advertised, Friday food market once a month and then have the regular smaller one every other Friday.

Advertisement